Truly dying for ones cause

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
urroner
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Truly dying for ones cause

Post by urroner »

Here is a case of a man willing to die for a cause he believed in. Almost brings tears to my eyes except it's so rich with irony since his death does more harm to his cause.

Motorcyclist Killed While Riding Without Helmet to Protest New York Helmet Law

All I have to say is to quote Bugs Bunny.

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Truly dying for ones cause

Post by Ddawg »

I saw that in the news - tragic. There is a knee jerk reaction to say - "Serves him right." But, I have buddies that ride Harley's - some without helmets sometimes - not wise. Still, it's a real tragedy.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

It is a tragedy, no question about it. But one he brought on himself, just like people who don't wear their seat belts.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

hawkwing wrote:It is a tragedy, no question about it. But one he brought on himself, just like people who don't wear their seat belts.
True - he made a bad choice & he paid the ultimate price - quickly - he died a violent death. So, we ridicule the guy in a post - calling him a moron (maroon), an ignoramus, and feign sadness by sarcastically fighting back tears. Not real nice. I just thought we - collectively - had more class than that.

Full disclosure - I think Urroner is a very funny & clever guy I like his posts. That said - this post was just "not appropriate" IMHO. I ride a Harley. I ride w/ a group of guys from my Stake - and a local group. This last Monday (4th of July) 12 of us (after we cooked @ the traditional 4th of July Pancake breakfast) jumped on our Harley's @ the Stake Center & rode a 140 mile loop via the Angeles Crest Hwy. We had a Bishop, 2 members of the High Council & a member of the Stake Presidency (all Harley dudes). We are very conservative riders - but we have a great time.

A few weeks ago an LDS rider was killed on that Hwy. He was wearing a helmet - just going a skosh fast on a windy, mountainous road. His family is devastated. As we rode past the turn that he crashed on - it made me real somber & reflective. Yes it was his choice to ride a motorcycle. Yes he controlled that throttle. Still - I think it is very inappropriate to ridicule a bike rider that crashes and dies during a mishap. There are families and loved ones involved. Just my 2 cents.

urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

I apologize for offending you DD. I didn't post the OP with any intention to do so and I wasn't making light of a man's death, I was pointing out the irony of his death.

I also find irony in the policeman who was telling a gun safety class how to correctly handle a gun and then shot himself in the foot while pulling his gun out of the his holster.

I find irony in the politician in Texas who said that fire ants were no big deal as he was kicking a fire ant bed and wound up in the hospital a short time later due to all the bites he had received from a bunch of really pissed fire ants.

I also find irony in a lot of the Darwin Award winners and laugh at how some of these people died. Here is a most excellent example of a potential Darwin Award winner: Wheelchair Access. Here is a great one - Dead Terrorists.

And I would call any one of these people an ignoramus.

I rode a bike quite a bit when I was younger and really enjoyed it. I plan on getting a bike after I retire and go across country. I have been in several accidents on my bike and find them absolutely terrifying. One of these accidents involved missing a sharp turn in the road because I was going too fast and then finding myself heading towards a nice, brand new barbwire fence. Luckily I hit a post and found myself flying over the fence and not through it.

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

Urroner - You're a solid guy. I always enjoy your posts, humor, wit & hilarious sarcasm. I guess I was too personal. I apologize.

You da Bomb Homie!!! Have a great day!!

Go Cougs!! 8)

tmoney35
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by tmoney35 »

I'm also an avid rider, and while I personally would never go out without a helmet, I don't think they should be government mandated.