Will Texas go Indy

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
crh55
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Will Texas go Indy

Post by crh55 »

There are still rumors and articles being written about the secession of Texas from the big 12.

While at BYU, I once had a study group with a guy from Texas, he would put a quote on his email signature about "Texas surviving without the United States, but the United States not surviving without Texas." I enjoyed the arrogance, but the saying could prove true for the big 12, or big 10, or whatever they call themselves these days.

If Texas does break free, it should bode well for us scheduling-wise. That would give us 4 other indy teams to play late on in the season. It could end up almost being like a small little conference, with more opportunity to schedule other teams in September and October. If we could schedule those teams year in and year out, it would be like having both the benefits of a conference and the benefits of independence.

ESPN the NEW Home of BYU Live Sports
https://twitter.com/cougarback" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mars
Retired

Re: Will Texas go Indy

Post by Mars »

Texas makes more money and has better exposure and ACCESS than anyone in the nation. Why would they want to change that? They don't.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Mars wrote:
Texas makes more money and has better exposure and ACCESS than anyone in the nation. Why would they want to change that? They don't.
Because right now they're sharing that money. Imagine if they no longer had to share.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

SpiffCoug wrote: Because right now they're sharing that money. Imagine if they no longer had to share.
I imagine they would make less.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
ThrowbackBlue
BLUEshirt

Post by ThrowbackBlue »

The biggest thing holding Texas back from going independent is their non-football sports. Where would they go if they went idpendent? Texas isn't going to move their other sports to CUSA or the MWC similar to what BYU did in going to the WCC and I don't see any of the major conferences making any concessions for them otherwise.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

urroner
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by urroner »

I heard that Texas wanted to broadcast some Texas high schools' games on their station, but the Big 12 was having a fit about that and I was thinking what the big deal is. I then read an article about it just the other day and that would give Texas a big boost on the recruiting. If they go indie, they can broadcast all the HS games they want.

Dang, let them go indie and throw another monkey wrench in the cogs of the BCS.

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

urroner wrote:I heard that Texas wanted to broadcast some Texas high schools' games on their station, but the Big 12 was having a fit about that and I was thinking what the big deal is. I then read an article about it just the other day and that would give Texas a big boost on the recruiting. If they go indie, they can broadcast all the HS games they want.

Dang, let them go indie and throw another monkey wrench in the cogs of the BCS.
It's not just the conference that has a problem with showing high school games - it's the entire NCAA. Being able to tell a recruit, "If you commit to us right now, we'll put all your home games on national television!" creates a massively uneven playing field - whether you are in a conference or not.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

So far their class is ranked #1 this year. We are 36.