How accurate is BYUdeepthrowt?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
pjmuli
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

How accurate is BYUdeepthrowt?

Post by pjmuli »

This poster is pretty active on Twitter...just wanted to know if anyone has a sense as to the degree of reliability of the information. Does this person merit the same esteem as McGregor or Lawboy?

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: How accurate is BYUdeepthrowt?

Post by hawkwing »

pjmuli wrote:This poster is pretty active on Twitter...just wanted to know if anyone has a sense as to the degree of reliability of the information. Does this person merit the same esteem as McGregor or Lawboy?
I have been following this person on twitter for awhile, and I think he has some nuggets, but he has not come any where near the level of trust or accuracy that I have seen from a bunch of posters here, including mcgregor, byutx, lawboy, snoscythe, and others.

So take what you read from any source with a grain of salt and know that even those that do here legitimate inside information sometimes have that information change on them so fast that they are talking about what was true yesterday, but is no longer.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

pjmuli wrote:This poster is pretty active on Twitter...just wanted to know if anyone has a sense as to the degree of reliability of the information. Does this person merit the same esteem as McGregor or Lawboy?
I am just a middle man on info, and pass on what I hear. I have 3 main sources. 1 works in the BYU AD, and 2 people who know others who do. I just like to share what I hear, when my sources say it is ok.

As far as BYUdeepthrowt, no clue who it is. But his posts are shaped by his biases, just like mine are by my own. He prefers Indy and says so. I prefer Big XII. I do think he is wrong on this issue though. I suspect BYU goes Big XII, or else we would pull our name from consideration by now to respect our other partners--just as ND did yesterday. The fact we have not, and the fact that the BoT is meeting on this tells me that CS and TH want Big XII. I have been told that CS wanted the right to act on it--to say yes, but te BoT wanted to meet first to discuss specifics. I know BCS affiliation is the goal, as TH, CS and BM have stated so on multiple occasions. I can also guarantee you that Dave Rose would prefer Big XII to WCC. As would every other sports, except perhaps women's soccer.

Now tell me, which 2 sports and teams at BYU drive the money engine???

pjmuli
Freshman

Post by pjmuli »

Lawboy wrote:
I am just a middle man on info, and pass on what I hear. I have 3 main sources. 1 works in the BYU AD, and 2 people who know others who do. I just like to share what I hear, when my sources say it is ok.

As far as BYUdeepthrowt, no clue who it is. But his posts are shaped by his biases, just like mine are by my own. He prefers Indy and says so. I prefer Big XII. I do think he is wrong on this issue though. I suspect BYU goes Big XII, or else we would pull our name from consideration by now to respect our other partners--just as ND did yesterday. The fact we have not, and the fact that the BoT is meeting on this tells me that CS and TH want Big XII. I have been told that CS wanted the right to act on it--to say yes, but te BoT wanted to meet first to discuss specifics. I know BCS affiliation is the goal, as TH, CS and BM have stated so on multiple occasions. I can also guarantee you that Dave Rose would prefer Big XII to WCC. As would every other sports, except perhaps women's soccer.

Now tell me, which 2 sports and teams at BYU drive the money engine???
Thanks for this response Lawboy. Very helpful. I am sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but I would assume that the BoT will have issues breaking ties with the WCC...but I suppose if CS was ready to move on it, perhaps the notion of leaving for an invite was pretty well spelled out when the contract was signed. Any reaction?

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

I do not know any specifics on the WCC deal. Or on any recent football schedules deals that were signed. I am hearing that this is being done in a specific way to assist the Big XII with their TV deals. Reports that A&M sent a letter were then changed to they said in a phone call. Per the Fox deal, word is that if the league drops to 9 teams, it triggers a renegotiate, so BYU would need to join prior to A&M leaving to prevent that. This is also why A&M said in their letter last Saturday that they would be ok with Big XII looking for a team to replace them immediately. Basically, huge contracts are in play and things are being done to not affect them. The Fox deal is for secondary rights and pays $9M per team--about the same as BYU gets with ESPN this year for primary rights. Add Big XII primary rights, and Big XII teams make $18-22M per. Third tier rights on the table as well, which helps us.

Complex contract issues are the hold up, and why things are moving slowly, but in a certain order.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

Lawboy wrote:I am hearing that this is being done in a specific way to assist the Big XII with their TV deals. Reports that A&M sent a letter were then changed to they said in a phone call. Per the Fox deal, word is that if the league drops to 9 teams, it triggers a renegotiate, so BYU would need to join prior to A&M leaving to prevent that. This is also why A&M said in their letter last Saturday that they would be ok with Big XII looking for a team to replace them immediately. .
And it is why an announcement for a&m leaving will not happen until byu accepts or they find another sucker to join. :) They really need byu to join right now. if byu denied them and they added someone like houston or smu it would look very bad for them. adding byu makes them save face and appear stronger in the short term. This will especially be true when byu goes 12-0 this year!! :evil:

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

FWIW, I have zero inside info on this. My posts heretofore on the subject have been my own thoughts and preferences. I prefer to see where we could go with independence for at least three seasons or until we are forced to align by the development of super-conferences, but I understand the allure of BCS-dom and the "sure-thing" over what is essentially the "potential" of independence.

The only people I know who would know anything aren't volunteering anything at all, which doesn't mean a thing one way or the other. Either nothing is happening, or enough is happening to where no one wants to talk about it and be 'the leak,' or these conversations aren't involving anyone but the tippity-top of the AD.

I will say this for BYUDeepThrowt--he has been hit or miss, but unlike other pseudo-insiders, he doesn't throw sources under the bus with a "my source was misinformed." It's usually a "the deal changed," or "it's still going to happen, but on a different timeline." He's still pretty adamant that some of his scheduling prognostications will come to pass. Most fake insiders can't wait to throw their imaginary sources under the bus. If nothing else, he is interesting to follow and keeps conversation rolling.

ThrowbackBlue
BLUEshirt

Post by ThrowbackBlue »

Lawboy wrote:I do not know any specifics on the WCC deal. Or on any recent football schedules deals that were signed. I am hearing that this is being done in a specific way to assist the Big XII with their TV deals. Reports that A&M sent a letter were then changed to they said in a phone call. Per the Fox deal, word is that if the league drops to 9 teams, it triggers a renegotiate, so BYU would need to join prior to A&M leaving to prevent that. This is also why A&M said in their letter last Saturday that they would be ok with Big XII looking for a team to replace them immediately. Basically, huge contracts are in play and things are being done to not affect them. The Fox deal is for secondary rights and pays $9M per team--about the same as BYU gets with ESPN this year for primary rights. Add Big XII primary rights, and Big XII teams make $18-22M per. Third tier rights on the table as well, which helps us.

Complex contract issues are the hold up, and why things are moving slowly, but in a certain order.

Lawboy is spot on with his statements here (not that his credibility isn’t already proven). Obviously I don’t bring the same amount of proven reliability as a McGregor or Lawboy (I mostly lurk and comment on occasion) but I can further substantiate his comments by the conversations I’ve had with various individuals close to the situation. I live in the same ward and on the same street as many BYU administrators, professors, coaches, etc.

As Lawboy stated, these decisions with realignment may seem cut and dry, but they are very complex due to the nature of the various legal contracts tied to the situation. These are definitely issues that can’t be rushed. One thing BYUDeepthrowt did tweet out earlier that is accurate is that BYU has some major pull in these negotiations and the various BIG12 institutions are giving BYU a lot of respect in the discussions.

I sometimes wonder why I continue to follow BYUDeepThrowt. I can’t recall him ever disclosing much outside of his own opinion. In speaking with friends inside athletics about BYUDeepThrowt they have told me who they think he is, and if he is who they think it is, he is privy to information close to the program, but definitely not to information discussed behind any closed doors, just secondhand conversational info. BYU athletic administrators actually have very good poker faces and rarely divulge anything until they want the information to get out. (can’t even get it out of them on a golf course!)

Ultimately I think BYU will accept a BIG12 offer unless higher powers direct otherwise. As I see it, assuming BYU gets all of the conditions they want, there is too much to gain (e.g. $$$, BCS inclusion, better bowl tie-ins, elevated status of all programs, exposure) over being independent.

On a side note…. The BYU basketball coach I spoke to as recent as last night ABSOLUTELY wants BIG12 and the entire Basketball program has openly expressed this (think Jordan Loveridge). The football Coach I spoke to on Sunday was a little more reserved in his opinion but seemed to indicate BCS access would be the biggest gain from BIG12 inclusion. This would be expected considering what football gained and bball lost with independence.

PS: Does Lawboy have a Twitter account?

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

Sorry--no Twitter for me. Not my thing and doubt it ever will be.

If I have any scoop, I'd rather share it here anyway.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I have heard he was in the AD department too. I am not too concerned about accuracy and connections. I want information for the joy of it and to build my own opinion of what the issues are. Even if TH was tweeting he would be wrong on part of it too. Things change and other players can upset the cart.