Roll call/places to eat for TX game

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Wickchad
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Roll call/places to eat for TX game

Post by Wickchad »

hawkwing wrote:
CAFB_04-12 wrote:We need a "Cougar Corner" flag, like a travel gnome, that could be photographed at all the different stadiums.

Edit to Add: "Cougar Corner" would be especially appropriate at away games, where the team always puts visiting fans in the corner of the stadium.
Agreed!
We need to get a Cougar Corner flag flying in the back ground of College Game Day every week. If Washington State can do it every week so can we.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

byutx. you sound familiar with the area. any recommendations on good golf courses in austin?

byutx
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byutx »

jonnylingo wrote:byutx. you sound familiar with the area. any recommendations on good golf courses in austin?
I have seen several beautiful courses in the area, but, alas, I am not a golfer and can't help you out. sorry.

Metal Bubba
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Metal Bubba »

I'll be there, but don't know the section yet. My brother bought the tickets. I'll be spending most of the long weekend in San Antonio, so if anyone has some recommendations in that area... let a brother know.

:evil:

When you die, if you go somewhere where they ask you a bunch of questions about your life and what you learned and all, I think a good way to get out of it is just to say, "No habla ingles." ~ Jack Handey
byutx
All-American

Post by byutx »

Metal Bubba wrote:I'll be there, but don't know the section yet. My brother bought the tickets. I'll be spending most of the long weekend in San Antonio, so if anyone has some recommendations in that area... let a brother know.

San Antonio is my favorite city in the U.S. There is a ton to do and I don't think there is a large city in America that pulls off the small town feel better than San Antonio. first of all, you gotta do the riverwalk. Is it touristy? sure. is it worth it? Absolutely. I also think the alamo is a must as well as the mercado (all 3 of these are free). Downtown has some decent architecture and historical sights if you're into that. The Buckhorn is a pretty neat but overpriced western/Texas history museum. Of course you have seaworld, 6 flags, the tower of the Americas and the San Antonio zoo. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Foodwise, for my tastes (I'm a bbq and tex-mex guy) there is no better place than San Antonio. I can personally recommend the following places:

-Lulu's cafe: down home cooking-I never had chicken fried steak until I had it there; get it with 1/2 queso and 1/2 gravy; also like the 3 lb. cinnamon rolls; this was featured on man vs. food

-Pico De Gallo: Mexican; it's just outside downtown and el mercado; good mexican at a decent price and it's not usually busy

-Rosario's: Mexican; just south of downtown; very, very tasty; good quality; a bit pricey

-Taco Palenque: REAL border Tex-Mex; this is my favorite for mostly nostalgia (served my mission in McAllen and frequented this place whenever I could); I think it is worth driving around to find. I believe there is one at the North Star Mall (San Pedro and Loop 410) and a newer location around the NW area of the loop. Look them up on line. If you go there, try the Tampiquena plate-it's about 10 bucks but worth it. Also try their Jamaica juice drink. I like it with sprite. Also love their beef carne asada quesadillas. I make it a point to go here whenever I am in town.

-alamo draft house: movie tavern; great food; I dig their bluebell shakes and their burgers and fries

-Other places I know are great from others whom I trust: Big Lou's pizza (get the brisket pizza), The Smokehouse (open pit-style bbq in the restaurant-Brisket and sausage are a must), Rita's on the Rio (Riverside Tex Mex), Alamo Draft house

ThrowbackBlue
BLUEshirt

Post by ThrowbackBlue »

byutx wrote:
Metal Bubba wrote:I'll be there, but don't know the section yet. My brother bought the tickets. I'll be spending most of the long weekend in San Antonio, so if anyone has some recommendations in that area... let a brother know.

San Antonio is my favorite city in the U.S. There is a ton to do and I don't think there is a large city in America that pulls off the small town feel better than San Antonio. first of all, you gotta do the riverwalk. Is it touristy? sure. is it worth it? Absolutely. I also think the alamo is a must as well as the mercado (all 3 of these are free). Downtown has some decent architecture and historical sights if you're into that. The Buckhorn is a pretty neat but overpriced western/Texas history museum. Of course you have seaworld, 6 flags, the tower of the Americas and the San Antonio zoo. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Foodwise, for my tastes (I'm a bbq and tex-mex guy) there is no better place than San Antonio. I can personally recommend the following places:

-Lulu's cafe: down home cooking-I never had chicken fried steak until I had it there; get it with 1/2 queso and 1/2 gravy; also like the 3 lb. cinnamon rolls; this was featured on man vs. food

-Pico De Gallo: Mexican; it's just outside downtown and el mercado; good mexican at a decent price and it's not usually busy

-Rosario's: Mexican; just south of downtown; very, very tasty; good quality; a bit pricey

-Taco Palenque: REAL border Tex-Mex; this is my favorite for mostly nostalgia (served my mission in McAllen and frequented this place whenever I could); I think it is worth driving around to find. I believe there is one at the North Star Mall (San Pedro and Loop 410) and a newer location around the NW area of the loop. Look them up on line. If you go there, try the Tampiquena plate-it's about 10 bucks but worth it. Also try their Jamaica juice drink. I like it with sprite. Also love their beef carne asada quesadillas. I make it a point to go here whenever I am in town.

-alamo draft house: movie tavern; great food; I dig their bluebell shakes and their burgers and fries

-Other places I know are great from others whom I trust: Big Lou's pizza (get the brisket pizza), The Smokehouse (open pit-style bbq in the restaurant-Brisket and sausage are a must), Rita's on the Rio (Riverside Tex Mex), Alamo Draft house
Couldn’t agree more! San Antonio is certainly in my top 3 of US cities—one of those few cities in the country with a palpable atmosphere. GREAT food all around the city including the riverwalk. I agree with all of your restaurant recommendations but would also add The County Line to that list (have locations in both SA & Austin). They serve one dish “the Cadillac” which includes an all-you-can-eat sampling of every BBQ item on their menu served in Texas-sized portions which will no doubt leave you with the meat-sweats.

Also hearing a ton of recommendations from Austin locals and travelers alike to eat at The Franklin—recently voted #1 in the country for BBQ.

Luckily enough I have “business” this Friday in San Antonio and get the pleasure of extending my stay through Saturday to attend the game in Austin and enjoy some great Texas food in the process. I’m really looking forward to it.

Metal Bubba
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Metal Bubba »

byutx wrote:

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Maybe I can get my good buddy Timmy Duncan to pay for the expensive. We went to college together, don't you know.

When you die, if you go somewhere where they ask you a bunch of questions about your life and what you learned and all, I think a good way to get out of it is just to say, "No habla ingles." ~ Jack Handey
MountainMD
Recruit

Post by MountainMD »

Saltlick and County Line are good. Chuy's is excellent. With a quick trip required for me, I will have to focus on the 2 very best stops in Austin... Threadgill's (on the river) and Texadelphia (Philly cheese steaks with a Texan twist.)

Don't be tortured by what could have been; make it be!Chris Williams, MD Colorado
MountainMD
Recruit

Post by MountainMD »

Section 119 for me...

Don't be tortured by what could have been; make it be!Chris Williams, MD Colorado
cougarcaveman
Gray Shirt

Post by cougarcaveman »

Section 102 seats 35-40. Should we feel guilty when a large contingent of the priesthood leadership from our ward will be in Austin/ New Braunfells rather than at stake conference; while our wives have to take our 26 kids (combined) on the 90 min drive for stake confernce, both Sat and Sunday Sessions.

At least we will not be called to any new Stake callings right? By the way, we need a ward to Crash Sunday morning in the New Braunfells area.

Did not look at the stake calendar prior to ticket purchase. Thats our story and were sticking to it.