Which is easier

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Which is easier?

Improving the arm strength and throwing ability of a QB
56%
Getting a QB to take a hit and not play scared
44%

Total votes: 18

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Which is easier

Post by Gunk »

I would say it's easier to improve a QB's arm strength than it is to get a QB to not play scared.

One's physical and one's mental. Problem with mental limitations is getting rid of the old fears to the point where they don't crop back up under pressure situations as people tend to revert back to where they're most comfortable when things heat up.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Which is easier

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Neither. Nelson is 22 years old. He will not improve his arm strength much, if any, beyond what it is right now.

Playing scared is something that could take forever to get over.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

stuckinbig10country wrote:Neither. Nelson is 22 years old. He will not improve his arm strength much, if any, beyond what it is right now.

You're seriously suggesting that a 22 year old can't improve his arm strength? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guess you don't watch baseball.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Gunk wrote:
stuckinbig10country wrote:Neither. Nelson is 22 years old. He will not improve his arm strength much, if any, beyond what it is right now.

You're seriously suggesting that a 22 year old can't improve his arm strength? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guess you don't watch baseball.
Well, his arm strength really hasn't noticeably improved since he came to BYU almost 3 years ago.

Also, most baseball players that I've watched in MLB that come in with good velocity had it when they joined the league at 18 through 22, and actually tend to start losing it around 26 to 28 and have to learn how to pitch better and not just throw it by everyone. Also, you very rarely see pitchers go from throwing 90 mph and then jump to 95 mph on a regular basis.

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

Better forgot arm strength scenario and discuss accuracy and proper velocity on a pass. Kellen Moore/Boise State does not have a cannon for an arm but he is highly accurate, knows how to leD the receiver, understands his offense inside and out, and is a gutsy, heady player. Don't see much of Heaps in him, but I do see more of Riley in him.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

byucougar1 wrote:Better forgot arm strength scenario and discuss accuracy and proper velocity on a pass. Kellen Moore/Boise State does not have a cannon for an arm but he is highly accurate, knows how to leD the receiver, understands his offense inside and out, and is a gutsy, heady player. Don't see much of Heaps in him, but I do see more of Riley in him.

Here here! More is a great example. I don't know if he had any stars and I bet Boise State doesn't give a hoot how many he had. He's too little too. He probably couln't make all the throws at first. What he could and can do is WIN! yA, that is more important than anything else in any player.

imuakahuku
All-American

Post by imuakahuku »

My issue with Riley has always been his read progression. He seems to mostly get to one then tuck and run. That may have worked in H.S. but that doesn't work in college (see AF game last year for example of this). He did show signs of both going through a progression and not going through it and just running. Not sure which one is the one we get regularly. Last game was a come from behind so he didn't have a choice in most situations except to try and pass (e.g. pass to "Jacobson"). So to me the problem isn't about arm strenght its about having the same amount of confidence in his arm as he does in his legs.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Changing someone mentally is always more difficult than changing them physically.

pjmuli
Freshman

Post by pjmuli »

snoscythe wrote:Changing someone mentally is always more difficult than changing them physically.
To me it is just the opposite...in most cases, it is possible to change a mentality because it is a core function of the use of agency. When someone has physical limitations, it is often NOT a function of agency and is often impossible to change.

To me, this question is not even really a question...if it were that easy to change people physically, Ty Detmer would have been a hall of fame NFL quarterback. Many teams tried to make it work and give him opportunity, but it was just not at a sufficient level.

The possibility of changing a mentality is much greater than the possibility of changing someone physically.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

imuakahuku wrote:My issue with Riley has always been his read progression. He seems to mostly get to one then tuck and run. That may have worked in H.S. but that doesn't work in college (see AF game last year for example of this). He did show signs of both going through a progression and not going through it and just running. Not sure which one is the one we get regularly. Last game was a come from behind so he didn't have a choice in most situations except to try and pass (e.g. pass to "Jacobson"). So to me the problem isn't about arm strenght its about having the same amount of confidence in his arm as he does in his legs.
Agree. I think we saw on Friday though that Riley has what it takes to stay in the pocket. Many of his runs were designed runs. He was supposed to step back, look like he was going to pass it, let the defense get spread out and take off.