Compose Yourselves

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
CannonCougar85
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Compose Yourselves

Post by CannonCougar85 »

I reiterate,

The Big 12 wants/needs 10 teams for 2012.

2 schools can give that to them, TCU and BYU.

Right now the decision by Missouri has a lot more bearing on the future of BYU then the inclusion of TCU.

Take
a

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
Wickchad
All-American

Re: Compose Yourselves

Post by Wickchad »

CannonCougar85 wrote:I reiterate,

The Big 12 wants/needs 10 teams for 2012.

2 schools can give that to them, TCU and BYU.

Right now the decision by Missouri has a lot more bearing on the future of BYU then the inclusion of TCU.

Take
a
The deadline for Missouri being able to leave the conference before the start of the 2012 season has come and gone (Texas A&M left right before the deadline). If the Big 12 wants to keep them in the league until 2013 it is still their choice. However, BYU is still the only team that can join for the 2013 season if the Big East is around to enforce their 27 month notice rule. If the Big East implodes there will be five teams available for the 2013 besides BYU.

blue42
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by blue42 »

wouldn't it be a kick in the teeth if the big 12 decided to invite BYU and the schools vote with all the schools voting yes but TCU voting no denying BYU entrance.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

blue42 wrote:wouldn't it be a kick in the teeth if the big 12 decided to invite BYU and the schools vote with all the schools voting yes but TCU voting no denying BYU entrance.
I wondered about this, but I doubt TCU would get a vote since they aren't actually in the Big XII yet.

Besides, TCU probably wouldn't mind continuing to play us since they have had their way with us most years.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
CannonCougar85
All-American

Post by CannonCougar85 »

Here is what I think in a nutshell:

BYU is the Big 12's #1 choice for expansion. The fact that TCU was added first does not change that in my opinion. Remember BYU can be added at any time. I suspect that BYU wants to join the Big 12 but not for 2012.

TCU had to join now in order to keep complications with the Big East to a minimum.

The Big 12 bylaws are confusing to say the least. The bylaws state that a school must give 2 years notice before leaving a conference or pay stiff penalties. But Nebraska, Colorado and now A&M have all left and their penalties have not been very stiff. So really Missouri could leave whenever they want and due to the vague bylaws not be punished severely.

Regardless of if Missouri leaves or not I would guess that the Big 12 to be at 10 in 2012 and at least 12 in 2013.

My conclusion, TCU joining was not a nail in the coffin for BYU.

***I'm kind of an idiot so I could be way off here.

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall