I have a questions for Utah residents.

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Dwight
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

I have a questions for Utah residents.

Post by Dwight »

I enjoyed Thanksgiving dinner with several church member families yesterday. The subject of college came up, and one of the couples said that they applied to BYU just so they could get accepted and turn it down. The husband went to an USU, then to Dartmouth Medical School, so I don't doubt the truth of what he said.

What on earth makes a person think like this? How does someone hate an institution that belongs to the very church they have committed their life to? Do they resent the fact that much of their tithing money supports BYU?

Why would devout members take so much pride cheering with the vulgarity that is the USU fan base or Utah for that matter. And no I am not being a self righteous BYU fan, I've been to sporting events with USU and Utah fans. They are both a step or two beyond the lines of normal social behavior. If BYU fans acted like that, I'd stop supporting their athletic program and find a better institution for my kids to attend.

I was going to ask some of these questions during dinner, but my wife kicked me under the table.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: I have a questions for Utah residents.

Post by scott715 »

Traditions of their fathers (I don't live in Utah).

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

Insecurity ... He needs to be more comfortible with who he is

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

BYU is not for everyone. When I was reactivating, one of my favorites of the missionaries that came by was a Ute fan and really disliked BYU. His dad worked for BYU and most of his siblings were BYU fans. He was not crude or vulgar about it - but he was anti BYU. A running back from San Diego that he had met while serving there committed to BYU and this missionary got on the phone with him from my house and said, "tell me it isn't true". He didn't get mean, but conveyed his disappointment. He is a good man. I became friends with his family. Good family. Does not like BYU.

When I met my wife, she hated BYU. Her dad loved BYU and her mom was an alum. Over the years, she has become converted to be more tolerant. She wanted our kids to go there.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
NebraskaCoug
BLUEshirt

Post by NebraskaCoug »

Dwight wrote: The subject of college came up, and one of the couples said that they applied to BYU just so they could get accepted and turn it down. The husband went to an USU, then to Dartmouth Medical School, so I don't doubt the truth of what he said.

What on earth makes a person think like this?
I don't live in Utah, but here's my opinion. Maybe it was that individual's way of preempting or defending against the common put-down that the thing that all BYU and Utah or Utah State students have in common is that they all applied to BYU (with the implication being that they were denied acceptance to BYU so they settled for one of the other schools). Maybe it was a way to legitimize himself as a student while still attending the school he wanted to attend. If that is why he did it, it is really a back-handed compliment to BYU.

tww
Sophomore

Post by tww »

I have lived in Utah for about ten years now and know a good number of people (including in-laws) that are just like those you mentioned. I can't figure it out. There is no reasonable answer.
What I have learned about people that are anti-BYU, anti-Mormon, and anti-conservative is that when I talk to them and learn why they have taken the emotional (and it is purely emotional) position that they have, the reasons are frighteningly lame, especially when considering the ferocity and determination in maintaing that position. So, you can ask them but I guarantee you will be disappointed in the answer because you will expect something more meaningful and in proportion to the emotional intensity that they put into it, but it won't be there.

I once asked someone why he voted for liberals. It turned out that the reason was because he watched Saturday Night Live and that was his source of political information.

I went to an anti-Mormon rally to see what it was all about. They were just a bunch of people that needed to laugh at Mormons to find some relevance in their own lives and feel better about themselves.

Rabid Utah fans that are LDS have told me that they root against BYU because BYU players are the do-gooder pretty boys.

Each time I thought I was going to hear some roaring reasoning but got nothing and I was left speechless.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

My Dad went to UofU. He is a huge BYU fan. My best buddy in the Church - very active - on the High Council - he HATES BYU with a passion. We have had some pretty testy & chippy discussions over it. We didn't talk for months because of it.

His point - BYU is snotty & feels entitled. That they are "chosen" and special. I have heard some people talk that way - but I have never heard upper Church Authorities talk that way - that BYU is entitled to win. It just sin't so.

BYU is an athletic program like anywhere else & will win the same way anyone else wins - through talented athletes, discipline, hard work, good coaching, and some luck.
8)

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I actually can't wait for the BYU-Utah rivalry to die. Then I won't have to worry or care about Utah any more and will be able to limit my interactions with their fans. I can go back to just following my Cougars and ignoring the Utes. It was one of the best things about growing up out of Utah - I didn't have think about their program.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

Try being a non member who lives for BYU football and having everyone question you about it. All I can say is its football not church. I view BYU football no different than I do any sporting team I root for.
Mormon Ute fans seperate the church from the team it makes it easier for them to hate the school and its teams. If they didnt they wouldnt beable to look themselves in the mirror. How can you hate a school that represents the very religon that you base your faith on? Mormon Ute fans can be the biggest hypocrites!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

BerliNY
All-American

Post by BerliNY »

There are quite a few mormons who do their best to be cool and convince their non-member friends (and themselves) that they aren't as uncool as a stereotypical mormon. They want to be different but they can't just leave the church. Still, they don't want to be seen as being under the control of the church, which of course they are (to the tune of 10% of their "increase" and 10ish hours a week). This leads to self loathing and a desire to reject anything rejectable and push any soft boundary the church leaves as a gray area (caffeine, R-rated movies, etc. etc.)

It's sort of a mormon version of being a cafeteria catholic (ie still picking and choosing but with far fewer options you can say "no" to)

Loyal Strong True