The difference in this year's team

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: The difference in this year's team

Post by Cougs_Rule »

frdbtr wrote:
dmcougar wrote:
frdbtr wrote:If we are to discuss coaching flaws. The one I see in BYU coaches is too much loyalty to returning starters. Heaps should have been benched as soon as the coaches heard that he never worked out with the team the summer before.
So, should the coaches use similar logic and say, we're going to bench the qb who says he doesn't care what the coaches think and he is going to play the way he knows how to play?? Yep, that's almost verbatim what Riley said in an interview last week.
At best you are living in the past. At worst you are blind to the current faults of the guy who has been given the keys to the offense and is likely to take the majority of the reps this summer and fall but who has a standing appointment with the hospital and the bench because he will run his smashmouth style come hell or highwater.
I think my meaning was clear, you don't practice with the team during summer workouts, your starting job is not guaranteed. I don't care what player it is. golden boy QB or Grunt on the O or Dline.

Your baseless accusations about riley being the one that divided the team are getting old you know. There is no evidence to back it up. There is plenty of evidence to back up the side of the story that Heaps was someone who thought he was entitled to start at BYU without having to actually be part of the team. I have never been on a team where anyone had any respect for the "leader" who never showed up for work, have you? Oh and by the way, BYU has never actually registered a win with a "practice" qb, only with guys who can actually complete passes in a game.
Oh brother. Here we go. Summer fun.

"plenty of 'evidence' to back up the 'story'--sounds a lot like conjecture. Conjecture hardly qualifies as 'evidence'. Please!! Show me the evidence! Your conjecture is as flimsy as mine. One off quotes from players on both sides. Oh wait, there was that little event called chambers locker content dumping on Broncos desk; McGregors sources, etc, etc.

And as for more holes in your post than Swiss cheese: what do you call a win at ole Miss? I'm not defending Jake, just pointing out the wholesale rewriting of history that your all or nothing thinking represents.

But the past is far less interesting to me than the current Bravado and defiance being spewed by Riley. What say you of your hero?

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

frdbtr wrote: Your baseless accusations about riley being the one that divided the team are getting old you know.
Yeah-That was his family in the stands, not him! Abs like his could never be evil!...

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I don't think the team was as divided as people think it was. The vast majority of the team was behind Riley - always were. The Heaps camp was always very small and became a one-man band by the time he got benched.

The coaches deserve a ton of fault for not properly reading their team. They did not have a good pulse on the situation.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

dmcougar wrote:Oh brother. Here we go. Summer fun.

"plenty of 'evidence' to back up the 'story'--sounds a lot like conjecture. Conjecture hardly qualifies as 'evidence'. Please!! Show me the evidence! Your conjecture is as flimsy as mine. One off quotes from players on both sides. Oh wait, there was that little event called chambers locker content dumping on Broncos desk; McGregors sources, etc, etc.

And as for more holes in your post than Swiss cheese: what do you call a win at ole Miss? I'm not defending Jake, just pointing out the wholesale rewriting of history that your all or nothing thinking represents.

But the past is far less interesting to me than the current Bravado and defiance being spewed by Riley. What say you of your hero?
Your constant digs against Riley being a divider happen in nearly every post. I hadn't said anything about it in months. My evidence is a News article that stated Riley attended 3 out of 50+ summer workouts with the team. Riley didn't need to do squat to turn the team against heaps. he just had to show up, be a leader and let Heaps self destruct like he did.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

I really wouldn't say that he is a divider or least not now. He is united (behind his cause) and still is. He is like a yapping chihuahua that has the bark of a big man and the body of little guy who is going to get his chops busted again bc he refuses to play with maturity and wisdom, insisting, instead, to play his brand and not Doman's brand of football. Once again showing that is his way or the highway.
I would glady concede your point if you would somehow focus on the here and now of Riley's dogged attitude of playing for himself.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Riley: "Hey Chambers, I dare you to put Jake's stuff on Bronco's desk!"

OC: "Done! Haha."

Bronco: "O'Neill, that's the last straw- You're off the team!"

Random Guy: "Riley, you dog!"

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

yay. jake vs. heaps.

yay... :sick: :sick:

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Mars wrote:
Riley: "Hey Chambers, I dare you to put Jake's stuff on Bronco's desk!"

OC: "Done! Haha."

Bronco: "O'Neill, that's the last straw- You're off the team!"

Random Guy: "Riley, you dog!"
That's not fair! Riley would never act so daring. 8)

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

CougarClaw wrote:yay. jake vs. heaps.

yay... :sick: :sick:
Actually, at this point, AND as this thread implies, the difference is unity and Riley.

But I would argue that this is more about Riley vs Riley. If he forgets that he is a chihuahua and runs out into the street where big LB's and Dlinemen rome freely, we will start all over.
But this time it will be Lark vs Hill.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

dmcougar wrote:I really wouldn't say that he is a divider or least not now. He is united (behind his cause) and still is. He is like a yapping chihuahua that has the bark of a big man and the body of little guy who is going to get his chops busted again bc he refuses to play with maturity and wisdom, insisting, instead, to play his brand and not Doman's brand of football. Once again showing that is his way or the highway.
I would glady concede your point if you would somehow focus on the here and now of Riley's dogged attitude of playing for himself.
Ok, so where is your evidence that Riley "refuses to play the way Doman wants him to".