Death Penalty for Penn State!

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Death Penalty for Penn State!

Post by hawkwing »

snoscythe wrote:
stuckinbig10country wrote:Lack of institutional control is a catch all phrase that can be used to cover almost anything. Not to mention that I'm sure there is a way that this could be construed into a recruiting violation.

If there is no NCAA by-law that states covering up a felony is a violation of NCAA policy, I think one should be demanded. Call it the Sandusky law.
I don't think the NCAA will, nor should it, touch this. Essentially the argument is "they did something really bad and criminal, so they should get the death penalty." Unfortunately, if the NCAA steps in here by stretching their jurisdiction far beyond anything ever contemplated, the NCAA then will have carte blanche to get involved with any criminal activity touching the athletic programs it oversees---like rape gate, and balloon gate.

I understand people are pissed and want to punish someone, but (a) you are punishing the wrong people, and (b) the NCAA has no authority to do this, and you don't want them to take on that authority. Bad precedent makes for bad law.
Covering up, or committing a felony for the purpose of improving the football program (real or imagined) should be outlawed by the NCAA. I don't see any draw back to this rule.

Cases such as a player breaking a law wouldn't be covered under this rule unless the football program actually tried to cover it up in order to let the player play, which again, seems like it should be against the rule.

And in this case, covering up child molestation would fall under the rule because the university did it in order to improve/benefit the football program.

For those who are smarter than me, what are the unintended consequences of this?

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

snoscythe wrote: I understand people are pissed and want to punish someone, but (a) you are punishing the wrong people.
Penn State shouldn't be punished for hiring Penn State football coaches and Penn State school presidents who are then given enough power from Penn State to hide the forcible rape of children on Penn State's campus, in order to keep Penn State from getting a black eye?

No, that makes sense. Let's punish Bowling Green!!

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

snoscythe wrote:I don't think the NCAA will, nor should it, touch this. Essentially the argument is "they did something really bad and criminal, so they should get the death penalty." Unfortunately, if the NCAA steps in here by stretching their jurisdiction far beyond anything ever contemplated, the NCAA then will have carte blanche to get involved with any criminal activity touching the athletic programs it oversees---like rape gate, and balloon gate.

I understand people are pissed and want to punish someone, but (a) you are punishing the wrong people, and (b) the NCAA has no authority to do this, and you don't want them to take on that authority. Bad precedent makes for bad law.
A valid point about the NCAA "stretching their jurisdiction". Something to ponder.

I simply cannot come to terms with what was motivating Paterno. I could have understood him trying to cover up the wrong he became aware of in '98, but then that he didn't stop it from happening? I've known so many in the corporate world that believe that truth is bendable if it relates to what they believe is the greater good, but this crosses far over that line.

What happened was not consistent with what was known of Joe Paterno by those that claim to know him on a friend basis or professionally. He didn't seem to be someone who would go to that length for the sake of football, and why now I believe that since there were several individuals involved with knowledge of the issues and likewise did nothing seemingly for the sake of the football program at the university, then yes, how is that any different than any recruiting violation? I guess I can see that connection now and why I believe that they are culpable on the level of their football program.

Let the civil and criminal laws run their course, but if the NCAA is responsible for keeping the members on a level playing field, it is hard to not see a correlation with recruiting potential that was being protected by football and university officials.

This is just beyond unbelievable from a program that was believed to be a cut about the average. I guess we wanted to believe that someone out there like Paterno really had ethics.
Last edited by EM_Puma on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Judge on.

I came upon a car in Las Vegas today. It had a big blue S sticker on it. On close inspection, it was a Penn State sticker - proudly displayed. It coordinated nicely with the blue Nevada plates and the Penn State license plate frame.

Was I supposed to kill him / her - or honk and flip the bird - or follow the car and deface the sticker and rip off the license plate frame - beat them up -

Or just allow them to peacefully enjoy whatever remnant of pride they have in their alma mater.

Here is. Metaphor. I wasn't exactly sure what to do with this very real but unexpected situation - hope I used good judgment. Glass houses and all.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Cougarbib2 wrote:Judge on.

I came upon a car in Las Vegas today. It had a big blue S sticker on it. On close inspection, it was a Penn State sticker - proudly displayed. It coordinated nicely with the blue Nevada plates and the Penn State license plate frame.

Was I supposed to kill him / her - or honk and flip the bird - or follow the car and deface the sticker and rip off the license plate frame - beat them up -

Or just allow them to peacefully enjoy whatever remnant of pride they have in their alma mater.

Here is. Metaphor. I wasn't exactly sure what to do with this very real but unexpected situation - hope I used good judgment. Glass houses and all.

[Insert quote from Billy Madison about "rambling, incoherent responses" here]

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Schmoe wrote:

Let me make it simpler.

Those who live in glass houses ... Should have sex in the basement -oops wrong metaphor for Sandusky. Maybe it was - should not cast stones - forget that one.

This.

The innocent will suffer immeasurably at PSUvincluding whomever it was driving that car. No need to pile on. Maybe more need to lighten their burden and help them heal.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

I did what cougarbib suggested and beat up a Penn State alum. She was too old to fight back much, but I think she recognized that she deserved it. I wasn't really sure if it was a good idea at first, but then bib's country wisdom started to really sink in and I began to understand why he had advised us to do this.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Mars wrote:
I did what cougarbib suggested and beat up a Penn State alum. She was too old to fight back much, but I think she recognized that she deserved it. I wasn't really sure if it was a good idea at first, but then bib's country wisdom started to really sink in and I began to understand why he had advised us to do this.
Hope you collected 2 points for the takedown. ;)

Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

snoscythe wrote:
stuckinbig10country wrote:Lack of institutional control is a catch all phrase that can be used to cover almost anything. Not to mention that I'm sure there is a way that this could be construed into a recruiting violation.

If there is no NCAA by-law that states covering up a felony is a violation of NCAA policy, I think one should be demanded. Call it the Sandusky law.
Lack of institutional control is very broad, but it is limited to the NCAA bylaws and policies--it doesn't apply to extra-NCAA regulations. The lack of control here relates to criminal activity, not NCAA violations, so in the NCAA-sense there is no institutional control implicated.

I don't think the NCAA will, nor should it, touch this. Essentially the argument is "they did something really bad and criminal, so they should get the death penalty." Unfortunately, if the NCAA steps in here by stretching their jurisdiction far beyond anything ever contemplated, the NCAA then will have carte blanche to get involved with any criminal activity touching the athletic programs it oversees---like rape gate, and balloon gate.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Wow, Sno and I agree. I feel so proud. :blush:

But seriously, Joe Pa's dead, Sandusky is going to have to play tickle monster with others in prison, and the administration who covered it up has been fired. I keep hearing the argument of the imaginary benefits that football got by covering it up, but whatever benefits they got by covering it up have been far surpassed by the damage after the news broke. I, for one, am glad this didn't happen at my university.

It must be hard to feel ashamed of how your university dealt with a tragedy so poorly. Like Bib was trying to explain, rather than come out with the pitch forks after the football team, the NCAA should allow the program a chance to heal.

What is that called when you do that? I'm sure I read about it somewhere in some lenghty text written in Old English.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Cougarbib2 wrote:
Schmoe wrote:

Let me make it simpler.

Those who live in glass houses ... Should have sex in the basement -oops wrong metaphor for Sandusky. Maybe it was - should not cast stones - forget that one.

This.

The innocent will suffer immeasurably at PSUvincluding whomever it was driving that car. No need to pile on. Maybe more need to lighten their burden and help them heal.
Oh, I got the point that you were ATTEMPTING to make, but it was such a ridiculous reaching hyperbole strawman fallacy of exaggeration that I gave it the response it deserved.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,