Riley was 65%?!!!

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Riley was 65%?!!!

Post by Cougarfan87 »

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7656 ... .html?pg=2

Riley will play even though he shouldn't. He admitted he was 65% against Boise State and admitted he will never sit out unless the coaches tell him to. Riley has a history of playing to the detriment of the team and he admitted that he will again because he is a Senior and there are very few opportunities left, so he will never throw in the towel.

Bronco states that he will play Riley if he is close to 100 percent (which is different than actually the 100 percent standard of just a few days ago). He also stated he would rely on Riley and the Doctors to make the call. Riley is already between 70-80%.

This means he will play against Hawaii. :sulk:

And I find it arrogant, not gutsy. You think your 65% effort is better than 100% back ups? Yeah, that's a great team player. And what's worse, you admit you can see the difference, but also have no intention of sitting unless the coaches tell you that you have to because you are a Senior.

Sorry, I'm not loving that attitude.

And as an indictment of BD, if you know your QB has a bad back, why do you keep running that option play? I'm not a big conspiracy theorist, so I don't accept that he was trying to get Riley injured more, but he should be limiting contact at all costs... Roll outs and hand offs, not options where the option QB either has to keep the ball and take additional punishment or pitch it.

As I said on Cougymonster's thread, where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Riley was 65%?!!!

Post by SpiffCoug »

I actually like the attitude - from the player. I want players who want to play, who never want to come out, who want to give it everything they have.

I don't like the attitude from coaches. The coaches determine who play. If you have a player only at 65%, you have a responsibility to the team and the player to sit them.

Playing with a serious injury is a receipe for a severe injury. You don't get healthy by continuing to do what is causing the injury. Rest is how you get healthy.

Coaches have a responsibility to look after a player's health.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

SpiffCoug wrote:I actually like the attitude - from the player. I want players who want to play, who never want to come out, who want to give it everything they have.

I don't like the attitude from coaches. The coaches determine who play. If you have a player only at 65%, you have a responsibility to the team and the player to sit them.

Playing with a serious injury is a receipe for a severe injury. You don't get healthy by continuing to do what is causing the injury. Rest is how you get healthy.

I should clarify. I like the never quit attitude, but only if Riley is completely honest with what his health status is. I'm not saying he hasn't been, but it would be very tempting to understate it so that I could keep playing and then say it is up to the coaches to play or not play me. If he is 100 % honest about his health, then I have no problems with Riley's attitude or desire.

I have a huge problem with the boneheaded coaching decisions and play calling with an injured QB.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Right, but you also want your player to be smart enough to acknowledge that he is taking the team down with him. Nelson is not. He gave away the last two games, and stole them right from the defense.

When was the last time that BYU lost when the other team's offensive unit didn't score? Has that ever happened to BYU?

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

On a related side note, remind me to never, ever go to a doctor named Nelson in the next 15 years.

"I'm not to tired to do this open heart surgery. My arm doesn't hurt that much..."

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

SpiffCoug wrote:I actually like the attitude - from the player. I want players who want to play, who never want to come out, who want to give it everything they have.

This re the attitude. Coaches and doctors then decide. And if Riley came out and said, I am only 65% and I don't give a rip if the coaches think I give the team the best chance to win - I am not playing - he would get criticized for that too.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Last edited by Cougarbib on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
rblack
Sophomore

Post by rblack »

It isn't the player's responsibility to determine if he is fit to play. It is the coaches responsibility to recognize that he is not fit to play and pull him out of the game before he hurts the team.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

BlueIsBetter wrote:Right, but you also want your player to be smart enough to acknowledge that he is taking the team down with him. Nelson is not. He gave away the last two games, and stole them right from the defense.

When was the last time that BYU lost when the other team's offensive unit didn't score? Has that ever happened to BYU?
2003? Utah 3 BYU 0. No points by either offense, just special teams?

(8.4x
..................ATT
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

I agree. I want a player who refuses to quit no matter what. But Doman should be watching pre game warm ups and if he can't see Riley's regular velocity on the ball (which he obviously didn't have in the BSU game), then he needs to come to Riley before the game and tell him that he isn't ready to go and give hill the ball.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Cougarfan87 wrote:

I should clarify. I like the never quit attitude, but only if Riley is completely honest with what his health status is. I'm not saying he hasn't been, but it would be very tempting to understate it so that I could keep playing and then say it is up to the coaches to play or not play me. If he is 100 % honest about his health, then I have no problems with Riley's attitude or desire.

I have a huge problem with the boneheaded coaching decisions and play calling with an injured QB.
Agreed.

Riley was apparently honest against Weber, and it appears, he was less so the last two weeks.

(8.4x
..................ATT