Pathetic

BYU Cougars on the court.
northerncougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Pathetic

Post by northerncougar »

Just glad that the pain that we call the 12-13 season is over. Please let it be over. Don't compound the pain by losing our first game in whatever pathetic tournament we might get an invite.

Those that were paying attention in the beginning of the season knew this team wasn't an NCAA tourney team but we really were awful tonight.

Next year won't be any different. Sigh

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

BroncoBot
Retired

Re: Pathetic

Post by BroncoBot »

northerncougar wrote: Next year won't be any different. Sigh

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
What? BYU has some of the best high school players ever coming into the program, including one who will be on par with our senior center who got 20 points, 8 boards and 8 rebounds. Next year will be dynamite. :lol:

imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by imuakahuku »

This year's team just didn't want it. I will be glad that Z will be gone. I'm tired of watching guards and forwards burn him on simple moves. As for Austin, dude it's nice to be that hustle guy but how about an ounce of control in that hustle?

Can anyone tell me how Jimmer and others were able to "get away" from their defenders and TH can't? It seems that teams focus on him and are successful at taking him out whereas Jimmer and Noah still were able to score even 1 on 5 it seemed.

So what do you guys think of the bigs? I had expected a lot more from them with Pope here but the seemed to get worse as the season went along.

Just an awful, awful, season. Way underachieved.

Waipahuboy
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Waipahuboy »

imuakahuku wrote:This year's team just didn't want it. I will be glad that Z will be gone. I'm tired of watching guards and forwards burn him on simple moves. As for Austin, dude it's nice to be that hustle guy but how about an ounce of control in that hustle?

Can anyone tell me how Jimmer and others were able to "get away" from their defenders and TH can't? It seems that teams focus on him and are successful at taking him out whereas Jimmer and Noah still were able to score even 1 on 5 it seemed.

So what do you guys think of the bigs? I had expected a lot more from them with Pope here but the seemed to get worse as the season went along.

Just an awful, awful, season. Way underachieved.

Agreed. Hoping my comment won't be censored like a Church-sponsored newspaper to which I used to subscribe/post....Coach Rose needs to recruit a LOT more athletic, AA players. Smart but slow white guys (unless you're Izzo or Coach K, it seems) aren't cutting it. Maybe Coach can talk to former Houston mates Olajuwon and Drexler about some brothas....

And what happened to the Eastern European and international players who used to attend? Dreadful WCC conference play, teams playing tenacious D on Haws, and a thin bench doomed this squad. Hope Mika is the real deal next year.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Mika is. He will be an instant upgrade over the non rebounding and non posting Davies.

(Watch Davies' in the first half to know what I am talking about. What a non-effort he gave that half.)

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Sounds like someone needs to change their vote in the "Will Mika be better as a Frosh than Davies as a Senior" poll

northerncougar
Junior

Post by northerncougar »

BlueIsBetter wrote:Mika is. He will be an instant upgrade over the non rebounding and non posting Davies.

(Watch Davies' in the first half to know what I am talking about. What a non-effort he gave that half.)
Love your enthusiasm and you are crazy if you think Mika will be better as a freshman than Davies was as a senior.

BYU will have two straight years not making the NCAA tournament.

bigblahla
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by bigblahla »

The BYU team I saw play this season had two weapons, Haws and Davies. I like Carlino but every fan of every team in the league knows he's a chukker, the ball can go up from anywhere but he is not a shooter he is a scorer at times. It's hard to win games in a conference when the other teams know if they take away Haws you then have to go inside to Davies for offense.

BYU stood around on defense in last nights game, never flew to the ball and almost seemed disengaged as a team. Most glaring weakness this year is no Hartsock, no team leader on the floor to rally the troops.

Bash Dave Rose if you must but he won't have a hard time getting another job if that happens. He is a good coach but you can only work with what you have and your team this year was short on talent.

Reality is after two seasons it might be starting to sink in that basketball is the premier sport in the WCC and if you don't bring it every night you will lose to any team in the league, as a Zag fan I can say been there done that. Remember this year is the first time the Zags have beaten USF at the WMG in four years.

Don't be discouraged better days are ahead and the bitter taste will be remembered. Your team should come into conference next season with a vengeance and pay back on their mind.

Lastly Zag fans don't hate BYU. The reason Zag fans at the Orleans cheered wildly for USD is Bill Grier and Kyle Bankhead, once a Zag always a Zag.

Heads up Cougs.

Go!! Zags!!!

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

bigblahla wrote:The BYU team I saw play this season had two weapons, Haws and Davies. I like Carlino but every fan of every team in the league knows he's a chukker, the ball can go up from anywhere but he is not a shooter he is a scorer at times. It's hard to win games in a conference when the other teams know if they take away Haws you then have to go inside to Davies for offense.

BYU stood around on defense in last nights game, never flew to the ball and almost seemed disengaged as a team. Most glaring weakness this year is no Hartsock, no team leader on the floor to rally the troops.

Bash Dave Rose if you must but he won't have a hard time getting another job if that happens. He is a good coach but you can only work with what you have and your team this year was short on talent.

Reality is after two seasons it might be starting to sink in that basketball is the premier sport in the WCC and if you don't bring it every night you will lose to any team in the league, as a Zag fan I can say been there done that. Remember this year is the first time the Zags have beaten USF at the WMG in four years.

Don't be discouraged better days are ahead and the bitter taste will be remembered. Your team should come into conference next season with a vengeance and pay back on their mind.

Lastly Zag fans don't hate BYU. The reason Zag fans at the Orleans cheered wildly for USD is Bill Grier and Kyle Bankhead, once a Zag always a Zag.

Heads up Cougs.

Go!! Zags!!!
Great post. Agree completely. BYU was completely disengaged and was not fired up except for a few brief seconds after a Davies and-1 bucket. Sad night.

Thanks Zags for showing us how it is done this year. Hope you guys get to the final four. I have a lot of respect for the program you've built.

And you've nailed it on the head on shutting the offense down. Put your best defender on Haws, double Davies, and get back on defense. It's that easy, Even if Davies and Haws get theirs, it's only 40 points. Carlino MIGHT chip in 15 points. Not going to win a lot of games with 55 points.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

hawkwing wrote:Sounds like someone needs to change their vote in the "Will Mika be better as a Frosh than Davies as a Senior" poll
He might not put up better numbers as a Frosh, but he will be better for the team than Davies was this year (hustling every play, rebounding everything near him, boxing out, playing actual big man defense instead of gallavanting around the 3 point line like a moron all game, posting down low EVERY time down the floor... and so on.)

The poll question referred to his statistics, not his impact on the game. I don't think Mika will get the same stats in his first year, but he will be infinitely more valuable to the team. If you can't understand the difference between the two, then I don't what else to tell you.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like: