Kickers

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Kickers

Post by mizzoucoug »

Does our kicking game still suck? I assume Sorenson is not our guy going forward. Has any of this been addressed? We have a big year coming up and are going to need some reliability here. 30,000 white kids on campus should yield 1 or 2 soccer-esque players who can kick a FG.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Kickers

Post by scott715 »

He is at about 85%. Still trying to heal up. There is a JC transfer that is competing for the job.

Dwight
Freshman

Post by Dwight »

So I was watching the kickers warm up at the Boise State game. I was wondering if kicking between the posts was really all that hard. I ordered a kicking stand and watched an instructional youtube video. A half hour of practice and I (43 years old and out of shape) kicked 6 of 7 from the 20 yard line. Now I know it is different with 11 tall guys coming at you and jumping up to block it. But honestly, the world is our campus. How many points were left on the field? Probably enough that last year could have been pretty sweet. On another note, my neighbor was the first woman to score in a college football game. She kicked the extra point. Maybe I should talk her into teaching my son how to be a kicker for BYU. ;)

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

mizzoucoug wrote:Does our kicking game still suck? I assume Sorenson is not our guy going forward. Has any of this been addressed? We have a big year coming up and are going to need some reliability here. 30,000 white kids on campus should yield 1 or 2 soccer-esque players who can kick a FG.
He claims to be much better health. They also have a jc transfer competing among others.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

The problem wasn't the kicker. The problem was blocking, and poor usage of the kickers by the coaches.

Sorenson is a good kicker when he is healthy and they are letting him kick full time. Bronco only putting in Sorenson for 40+ yarders messed with his head. A 45 yard field goal is far from a gimme in even the NFL game. That's like subbing someone in to do a halfcourt heave and that is the only game action they get. After a while, missing so often gets to you.

If he is healthy enough to kick a 40+ yarder repeatedly, then he is healthy enough to kick the other regular field goals. If he isn't healthy to kick all field goals and PATs, then he shouldn't be playing. Period.

Poor personnel management by Bronco.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

BlueIsBetter wrote:The problem wasn't the kicker. The problem was blocking, and poor usage of the kickers by the coaches.

Sorenson is a good kicker when he is healthy and they are letting him kick full time. Bronco only putting in Sorenson for 40+ yarders messed with his head. A 45 yard field goal is far from a gimme in even the NFL game. That's like subbing someone in to do a halfcourt heave and that is the only game action they get. After a while, missing so often gets to you.

If he is healthy enough to kick a 40+ yarder repeatedly, then he is healthy enough to kick the other regular field goals. If he isn't healthy to kick all field goals and PATs, then he shouldn't be playing. Period.

The problem was the kicker. You might want to read some of his interviews. He was not healthy enough to kick but was used on long kicks because we did not have any one else to do it.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Have to Agree with Bib on this. Injury is an injury. Not Broncos fault. Although there has to be somebody on campus that could at least have been searched for. IDK if that happened.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Cougs_Rule wrote:Have to Agree with Bib on this. Injury is an injury. Not Broncos fault. Although there has to be somebody on campus that could at least have been searched for. IDK if that happened.
They did try other kickers in Fall camp. One was the punter. Iirc, one was Taysom Hill. I am not sure who else. But, we knew we had a problem before the season kicked off.

I do not know if there was a more viable option that coyld have been tried - but the Cougs relued to heavily on badly injured players in 2012.

I have a recent injury to my non-throwing shoulder and a bruised tail bone. I cannot imagine how painful it would be to play foorball. I know. I need miracle drugs.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Cougarbib wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:The problem wasn't the kicker. The problem was blocking, and poor usage of the kickers by the coaches.

The problem was the kicker. You might want to read some of his interviews. He was not healthy enough to kick but was used on long kicks because we did not have any one else to do it.

Reading comprehension. If you are too injured to do a job, and the coaches put you out there anyways, playing the hardest thing that your position does (kicking 40+yard field goals) then you shouldn't be out there. It was mismanagement. You can't put poor player management on the player, that goes on the coaches. The problem was the coaches put a player out their in a position that they knew he couldn't succeed in, repeatedly.

That is poor management, plain and simple.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Our kickers suck and have the last two years. Our kickers under Bronco:

2012: 10 of 18 .556 - poor
2011: 15 of 25 .600 - poor
2010: 18 of 20 .900 - very good
2009: 10 of 14 .714 - average