What is up with Fabuluje?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Dwight
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

What is up with Fabuluje?

Post by Dwight »

Sorry, but I must have missed the deal with Fabuluje. It is my understanding that he is attending BYU, has graduated from TCU, but did not get a waiver from Gary Patterson.
Is there any chance he will play this year as he did graduate from TCU, or does he still need the release?

Seems like he is just what the offensive line is in dire need of.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: What is up with Fabuluje?

Post by Mars »

Taysom did not graduate from TCU, thus he is not eligible to play this year, and he was not released by Gary Patterson, thus he cannot be given a scholarship this year either.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

He has applied for a family hardship waiver from the NCAA, which would allow him to play immediately without sitting out. While he doesn't need Patterson's approval for that waiver, no telling when the NCAA will get around to addressing the petition, and the NCAA is very inconsistent on when they grant or deny family hardship waivers.

This blog has a quick review of family hardship waivers: http://www.athleticscholarships.net/nca ... ptions.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dwight
Freshman

Post by Dwight »

Thanks. I won't get my hopes up for his playing this year.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

Classes started yesterday, so it was hte first day he could even talk to coaches officially or practice.

He will not be playing in 2013. I expect him to play RT in 2014. Maybe even LT, if Matthews continues to struggle recovering from double hip surgery. Which is why Ryker looked bad Saturday--he is not yet healthy and moving well enough.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Mathews benching due to injury and poor play on Saturday gives more credence to my theory that the offense has not gone full-game speed enough. I think the offense was surprised by the actual speed of play during a real game. If Mathews is still recovering from injury, then he was still recovering during all of camp. So if one game was enough to realize he wasn't healthy enough to start, then in my mind, they hadn't gone hard enough in camp to test Mathews sufficiently.

Had the offense gone against a harder playing defense in camp it might have been determined sooner that he wasn't ready for game action. But one again we're playing catch up on offense because our coaches don't know what they have in their players.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

I think Anae said it would take half the season to see what they have for many reasons. One being by then many players would be more healed and game ready (Mathews, Hoff, Hill to name 3) and also because the Oline would also be up to speed and fit enough by then, and will also have shown who can play the best.

I think he is right. Sadly, I think we are looking at being 4-3 or 3-4 when we learn what we have. Tough early schedule left little room for error, and we needed room for error.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

I tend to agree with spiff. the benefit og going live a lot in practice is that you can establish your starters and identify earlier or even going into the season. i also agree with lawboy that it was going to take some time for this offense to start working. it was never going to be clicking the first game. by years end it will start working. i expect us to get better each week. the oline situation though was not going to resolve quickly and we saw that.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

But the downside of going live a lot in practice is more injuries.

3 weeks ago, many were saying we needed to go easier in practice to reduce injury. Have we reversed course that fast?

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I don't know where the balance is, but the offense didn't look ready for live action.

I do think it is going to take a few weeks for the offense to get up to game speed. 2013 is a foundational year - not a rebuilding year. I think we have rejected players who can succeed in this style of play. But they don't the foundation for this offense in place yet. They'll get there.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!