Was there a single season where Heaps was the best QB?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Was there a single season where Heaps was the best QB?

Post by craigoscarson »

Past or future, I'm not sure that Jake Heaps was ever the best QB on our roster... even considering the alternative was Riley and often an injured Riley...

His numbers were brutal today again

http://espn.go.com/college-football/pla ... jake-heaps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Re: Was there a single season where Heaps was the best QB?

Post by SpiffCoug »

He had a decent first half. PER was about 140. But dropped that to about 45 for the second half.

He's just not that good. 25 starts into a career signs of success should be consistently appearing.

I'm almost grateful he's gone. Ok. Not almost. Definitely. He was never taking BYU beyond mediocrity.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

I turned on the game at halftime. They said he started out 9-11 with a TD. Things went down hill - about 4-11 to finish the half. Even worse in the 3rd quarter. He hardly played in the 4th quarter.

The low-light was when a Utahesqe snap sailed by high and wide - horrible snap to be fair - Heaps dove at it on the ground, but seemed like he did not want to hold onto it and get dog piled. TT recovered it. Weiss went to his runningman QB after that, who moved the team well running and threw a nice TD pass, but was stripped twice before his arm moved forward passing for 2 fumbles.

Anyway, TT figured out the recipe - bring pressure. Heaps wilted. On one sack - pretty gentle one - but he thought the guy was going to slam him to the ground, the ball fell out as Heaps let go to cushion his fall. He fell on it, so no fumble.

Kansas OL was over-matched, and when the Heat came Heaps became erratic.

He looks fatter. Probably is not. He just wears more body padding than most. At least he quit wearing the arm hosiery.

Running man QB was used in one early series in the 2nd half and then finished the game in the 4th. IDK if they used him in the first half, but announcers indicated that Weiss had gotten him ready for a QB2 type scenario and that they expected that he will be used even more in the future.

That game was not even as close as the lopsided score indicated and TT just kept on rolling when their freshman starter QB, starting because the sophomore starting QB is injured, got injured himself and yet another freshman QB took over.

Ironically, both teams had 2 or 3 bad snaps each in the 2nd half and all handled them better than Heaps.

Jake never was the best QB at BYU even though he had very little competition. He does not like contact.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Heaps would be our 3rd or 4th best QB on this current team. He made a good decision to leave, he would never have see the field for BYU this year or next. He may have played last year if the coaching staff would have pulled his redshirt to play him which IMO would not have been guaranteed.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

frdbtr wrote:He may have played last year if the coaching staff would have pulled his redshirt to play him which IMO would not have been guaranteed.
Which is one big reason I heard he transferred. BYU wouldn't guarantee the red shirt.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Heaps is like the ex girlfriend or boyfriend that you look back on and wonder what you saw them. You want them to do well while at the same time you want validation for why you were right about them.

By the end of the season, ten bucks says Heaps isn't the starting QB anymore.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

P.S.

I don't understand why Heaps plays so scared. I don't recall him taking a bad hit. In fact, hus freshman year before he got married he seemed to have no problem with contact.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Gunk wrote:P.S.

I don't understand why Heaps plays so scared. I don't recall him taking a bad hit. In fact, hus freshman year before he got married he seemed to have no problem with contact.

I've wondered the same thing. He actually looked pretty mobile and willing to run his freshman year.

Also just remembered he played part of the year with broken ribs. That may have done it.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

He plays with a lack of confidence under live fire. Not sure when it happened, but it was at least since the second half of the Texas game in 11.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

Gunk wrote:Heaps is like the ex girlfriend or boyfriend that you look back on and wonder what you saw them. You want them to do well while at the same time you want validation for why you were right about them.

By the end of the season, ten bucks says Heaps isn't the starting QB anymore.

Kansas seems to already be in QB2 mode. If the mobile QB learns to not cock the gun until you are ready to pull the trigger - quicker release - he will avoid those fumbles that occurred when the ball was slapped just before forward motion. Other than that, his run threat opened up the RB and play action.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.