Was anyone else embarassed?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Was anyone else embarassed?

Post by EM_Puma »

Was anyone else embarassed when BYU went into a victory formation when they got the ball back on the Alani Fua interception near the end of the game?

I thought, what the heck? It's too early with Houston still having two timeouts to call the victory formation. They ran it once and then some light bulb finally went off in the head of someone on the sideline that said, "folks, we can't run that yet, we quite possibly need a first down to not have to turn the ball over again." Then BYU recognizes that faux pas and luckily got a first down on Taysom's running.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Re: Was anyone else embarassed?

Post by mizzoucoug »

I was definitely confused.

Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Sammich »

Taysom put his hands to his helmet after taking that knee, not sure if it was apologetically, but there was definitely confusion on the sidelines at that point also.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

No, I was too excited about having won the game to be embarrassed by the coaches trying to not have USU 2012 happen again. Once they realized what was up, they ran 2 more plays picked up another 1st and ran out the clock. Anyone else want to nitpick?

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

frdbtr wrote:No, I was too excited about having won the game to be embarrassed by the coaches trying to not have USU 2012 happen again. Once they realized what was up, they ran 2 more plays picked up another 1st and ran out the clock. Anyone else want to nitpick?
PotAtoe/POtatoes?

Nitpick/curious question?

I believe my point is that I don't ever remember seeing in all of my football viewing years for a team to call the victory formation when you actually couldn't run it yet. They threw away a play that luckily didn't come back and bite them because Taysom was able to get a first down in two more plays. I expect when someone is calling that specific of a play, they have looked at the number of time outs the opposing team has and how much time is left. If it was Anae, then geez, instead of being so excited about possibly winning this slugfest, get your head back around what you're getting paid for and quit embarassing the team.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

EM_Puma wrote:Was anyone else embarassed when BYU went into a victory formation when they got the ball back on the Alani Fua interception near the end of the game?

I thought, what the heck? It's too early with Houston still having two timeouts to call the victory formation. They ran it once and then some light bulb finally went off in the head of someone on the sideline that said, "folks, we can't run that yet, we quite possibly need a first down to not have to turn the ball over again." Then BYU recognizes that faux pas and luckily got a first down on Taysom's running.
I don't get embarrassed easily. So no, I was not. But, if I were in charge of game clock management and use of timeouts - yes, I would be very embarrassed.

This is an on-going issue with Bronco. This is an area he can improve. He is the common denominator because Doman and Anae both have had issues.

Maybe it was genius. Trick play. Victory formation to set up QB running for 1st down. Yes. This was bad. On a par with not running V vs USU last year.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

We don't know what was going through the coaches heads. They had run a play at 1:08 and rushed for more than 10 yards for a 1st down. Maybe they thought the Houston coaches would concede and not call a time out. You don't know. The bottom line is, BYU ran out the clock, won the game and wringing our hands over "what could have happened" is backwards thinking.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Further to my rare criticism of Bronco and Doman and Anae:

You are up on Virginia. 3 minutes left. Your D is playing well. You run a couple of plays running. 3rd down. You do not have an inexperienced QB who has been inaccurate all game throw that pass at that position on the field. Too risky. Run it and punt if you do not make it.

Vs U. Due to confusion, BYU burned a time-out on the 2nd to last series of the game on a punt iirc.

If they did not burn that timeout, they would have had enough time to score on that very last posession.

Call it nitpicking. In close games, it is not nitpicking.

Back to clock.

It is simple math that should be figure out and memorized before rhe season starts. Before your coaching career starts. It is a lookup table - to be memorized.

We get the ball. We immediately look to the scoreboard to see how many timeouts they have left and how much time is left on the clock. Start with the time left. Look up in memorized table, how many plays to burn that much time. Then add 1 play per timeout remaining.

If result is greater than 3, you need a first down unless you are way down at their end of the field where you could risk going on 4th down and not making it.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
jacksonman
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by jacksonman »

frdbtr wrote:We don't know what was going through the coaches heads. They had run a play at 1:08 and rushed for more than 10 yards for a 1st down. Maybe they thought the Houston coaches would concede and not call a time out. You don't know. The bottom line is, BYU ran out the clock, won the game and wringing our hands over "what could have happened" is backwards thinking.

Until it happens the next time and it doesn't work, or our QB gets injured for the season running instead of taking a knee...

I agree with Bib, Definitely something that needs some work and shouldn't take much to get this issue resolved.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

frdbtr wrote:We don't know what was going through the coaches heads. They had run a play at 1:08 and rushed for more than 10 yards for a 1st down. Maybe they thought the Houston coaches would concede and not call a time out. You don't know. The bottom line is, BYU ran out the clock, won the game and wringing our hands over "what could have happened" is backwards thinking.
Are you serious? Any coach that loses a game by making an assumption like that in a 1 point game where kickoffs have been returned 95 yards, huge punt returns have happened, 65 yard TDs have come on a relatively short pass, defenses are gassed - unemployed.

Last edited by Cougarbib on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.