Are BYU players soft?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
49erCoug
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Are BYU players soft?

Post by 49erCoug »

I am copying and pasting a discussion from a facebook post that was started from a cougarboard post. Not sure how I feel about it.. I can list a ton of BYU players that I wouldn't consider soft.... What do you think?

"From a Cougarboard post... What are your thoughts? (Frankly, if it's true, it seems to explain alot - including BYU's lack of NFL players under Bronco):

"Well guys, yet another ugly nugget for you.

"I am really getting tired of hearing things like this, but here you go.

"A friend of mine (Ex NFLer) was having a conversation with an NFL scout recently. He asked him if he was looking at any BYU players for the draft. The scout said, "not really, we're kind of careful about BYU guys". My buddy asked him what he meant. The scout said that under Bronco our players have become very soft, so they are careful who, if any, they go after.

"Do any of you find this hard to believe? I don't."

Mars
Retired

Re: Are BYU players soft?

Post by Mars »

In a recent article, Ziggy talked about how he was tired all the time after he first joined the NFL because he never had to work that hard in practice before.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mizzoucoug »

I believe it, but I'm not sure how much is Bronco's fault. We don't get depth at BYU so we have to be careful about injuries so practices are a bit lighter from what I hear. But what do any of us really know?

I think it' safe to say we have had a soft Oline for a few seasons now and our WR's don't get off the line very well (softness issue for sure). But you'd get an argument from me if someone said our D is soft. We throw a lot of big hits and hit the line pretty hard back there.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

I haven't felt like any defensive players have been soft under Bronco.

I feel like the offense got soft, my hope is that it's toughening up.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

hawkwing wrote:I haven't felt like any defensive players have been soft under Bronco.

I feel like the offense got soft, my hope is that it's toughening up.
this was my initial thought as well.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Mars wrote:
In a recent article, Ziggy talked about how he was tired all the time after he first joined the NFL because he never had to work that hard in practice before.
There's a big difference in the amount of time players are allowed to practice and work out in college and the pros.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

hawkwing wrote: There's a big difference in the amount of time players are allowed to practice and work out in college and the pros.
I'm just glad that Bronco takes full advantage of the time that he has. I hear that the players are sick of bowl practices for Washington already...

:~(

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

The NFL track record speaks volumes. Even the one bright spot in the NFL, Ziggy, has been a carousel of DNPs for injuries in and to himself this year, which can be taken as an indication of softness.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

snoscythe wrote:The NFL track record speaks volumes. Even the one bright spot in the NFL, Ziggy, has been a carousel of DNPs for injuries in and to himself this year, which can be taken as an indication of softness.
Ziggy was always a little "soft." He was out for part of every game for simply not being used to hitting and getting hit so much. Don't you remember him spending time on the bike on the sideline at least once a game. he went out a lot just to come back in not too long after.

NDCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: 2nd Favorite team

Post by NDCougar »

Hard to argue with results, how many guys has he put in the NFL. Comp it to equal programs during Bronco's tenure and see the results. How do we look vs the U/BSU in terms of: players recruited that are in the NFL, numbers drafted who are still there, some insights to where they are drafted (ex: more credit for Ziggy vs a 6th rd pick) etc.

I would guess guus like the U/BSU smoke us, just guessing. Don't have time to compile but would be interesting to see as BYU has had recruiting in the same ballpark as these guys, in general better recruiting than the U and likely worse NFL results (guessing).

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image