2014 Will Not Be A Special Season

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

2014 Will Not Be A Special Season

Post by Cougarbib »

It just will not be. The 2013 team had plenty of vulnerabilities. We lose a huge chunk of what became a depleted defense. We lose Hoffman from a depleted WR corp. We still do not have a TE, FB, or RB who can catch passes.

Some of this will get fixed and our DB situation should significantly improve. Hill gains experience as does Williams. Hine and Brown gain experience. IDK about OL. Seems overdue. IDK TE or FB. DL and Linebacker holes are numerous considering depth needs.

The schedule is manageable. A 9-3 regular season record is certainly possible.

So do not beat yourselves up expecting something unrealistic.

EDIT: Special Season has evolved to mean National Championship as used by fans who found the 4 year run of 10 or 11 wins to be ho hum. Vocal fans would not even be satisfied by an undefeated season with a BCS Bowl win like Utah, TCU, and BSU had been doing a time or two. It needed to be a NC. Others would still consider undefeated vs a big-time schedule worthy of NC discussion special. A few would take 13-0 MWC type season and call it special. Perhaps the vocal fans would even take a TY Detmer Heisman Trophy season and call it special despite the 3 losses. Maybe a number 1 NFL draft pick would make it special.

For the purposes of this thread, Special means any of the above, even though I thought those 11-2 seasons were pretty special.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Last edited by Cougarbib on Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: 2014 Will Not Be A Special Season

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Yup. More of the same.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
byucougar1
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byucougar1 »

Disagree entirely. Most of the offense returns with lots of experience including lessons learned by Anae. Defense gets bolstered by number of RMs who will fill in on DL to supplement starters Kafusi, Peck and Marques Johnson. Biggest gap is in LB but that has always been the position that Bronco reloads. The schedule is easier than this year, we should do better than 8-5 which Bronco considered a good record given the loss of so many players to injury, the new coaching staff and difficult SOS. The team can only get better as a result of experiences gained in 2013. I anticipate a range in wins between 9-10 games barring any major losses of key players.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Never know what can happen. 2014 is our best chance to have a special season. I think we have two special offensive players that can do a TON of damage. Especially a second year in an offense that was at times nearly impossible to stop.

I'm still bullish about the future. I think we'll see improvement the passing game which will everyone better.

One thing that will help the defense is Kaufusi being around for spring ball. He's not playing basketball and its focusing on football.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

byucougar1 wrote:Disagree entirely. Most of the offense returns with lots of experience including lessons learned by Anae. Defense gets bolstered by number of RMs who will fill in on DL to supplement starters Kafusi, Peck and Marques Johnson. Biggest gap is in LB but that has always been the position that Bronco reloads. The schedule is easier than this year, we should do better than 8-5 which Bronco considered a good record given the loss of so many players to injury, the new coaching staff and difficult SOS. The team can only get better as a result of experiences gained in 2013. I anticipate a range in wins between 9-10 games barring any major losses of key players.

Well actually we agree. 2014 should be 9-3 type regular season plus or minus. No unwinnable games. The "special season" folks on here coined that phrase back when they complained that 10 and 11 win seasons including the Bowl wins was same old same old and no longer satisfying.

Most seem to define it as 13-0 against a respectable enough schedule to get NC consideration or at least a BCS Bowl.

I expect 2014 to be solid barring the unthinkable - injury to Hill or Williams.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

byucougar1 wrote:Disagree entirely. Most of the offense returns with lots of experience including lessons learned by Anae. Defense gets bolstered by number of RMs who will fill in on DL to supplement starters Kafusi, Peck and Marques Johnson. Biggest gap is in LB but that has always been the position that Bronco reloads. The schedule is easier than this year, we should do better than 8-5 which Bronco considered a good record given the loss of so many players to injury, the new coaching staff and difficult SOS. The team can only get better as a result of experiences gained in 2013. I anticipate a range in wins between 9-10 games barring any major losses of key players.

You had the basis of a good post till you suggested that Anae " learned lessons".

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Special would be a zero or one loss season. 1983, 1984 and 1996 were special seasons. Maybe 1980 (with miracle bowl) and maybe 1989 ( Ty's Heisman). Are there any other special seasons?
I don't see any of the above happening in 2014. I'm not sure THill will become an excellent passer for a number of reasons including Beck and Anae and Oline and field vision. And without a pass game it will be a repeat of 2013. Sorry.

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

Couple of things about Anae and lessons learned over the years:

Provided below is the offensive production during Anae's six seasons as offensive coordinator at BYU showing QB, Pts/Game and national rank of offense. The offense was ranked in the top 25 four out of six years:

1. 2005 (Beck): 33.0 (24)
2. 2006 (Beck): 36.8 (5)
3. 2007 (Hall): 30.1 (47)
4. 2008 (Hall): 34.2 (20)
5. 2009 (Hall): 35.5 (11)
6. 2010 (Heaps/Nelson): 26.2 (70)

Additional stats include:
BYU earned top-25 NCAA offensive statistical rankings in different categories 28 times. The Cougars were ranked in the top 25 in third-down efficiency in each of Anae's six seasons, including a No. 1 ranking in 2009. BYU was No. 2 in the country in that category in 2006 and 2008. The Cougars achieved a top-6 passing ranking three times — in 2005, 2006 and 2008.

In 2011, the AZ Wildcats were a team in disarray and finished 4-8 as Anae was Assistant Coach to Stoops. He was the only coach from Mike Stoops’ staff to be retained by Rich Rodriguez who is also one of the best offensive minds in college football. In 2012, the team improved to 8-5 (including a 49-48 bowl game win over NV) and he helped them to a No. 7 ranking in total offense. The team averaged 83.2 plays/game, 526.2 yards/game and 6.3 yards/play.

BYU's 2013 team was breaking in a new O coaching staff, OL and a new starting QB and lost quality WRs and TEs to injury (I.e. M. Mathews, Mahina, Apo, etc.). The team averaged 30.15 pts/game, ran the highest number of plays/game than any team in the country, and averaged 493.6 yds/game, and 5.8 yds/play.

Given the returning cast on O in 2014, I expect improvement in a number of phases as evidenced by his history of performance and the experience of the players in the GFGH concept.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

GFGH in 2014 will flame out just like in 2013 and just like Dave Roses burn and churn Offense this year.
Anae would do well to go back to his old offense. BYU does not have the depth nor the deep threat or TE to accomplish his goals. I don't care if Rich Rod (wait, is he still coaching? Didnt hear a stinking thing about his "amazing" offense. Maybe it got worse with Anaes departure? NOT.)
Further, this GFGH offense is diametrically opposed to Broncos historical goals of ball control offense and bend don't break D. I don't know why Bronco has compromised his defense, defensive outcome, players, etc, etc. Maybe Bronco got the "trust me" speech at Anaes hiring? Maybe Bronco's fantasies of the running qb was just too tempting?

Old Bronco, during Anaes first go, was all about Turnover margin and 3rd down conversion rates, Dink and DOINK, TE, etc, etc.

I predict a lackluster spring. The boys are tired and burned out and not excited to get back to this smoke and mirror offense. THill is filled with loving thoughts, The D has lost its entire core at LB and a bunch of RMs and freshies filling in. I will still attend spring scrimmage/open practice (though I predict a cancelled scrimmage this year--"Oline injured and thin" and in disarray) hoping to find a glimmer of hope in Kurtz and maybe some fairy dust will rise a TE out of nowhere.
I just don't see a special season in 2014. ALOT of fans don't. Maybe some saying will emerge again this year in desperate attempt to raise ticket sales, such as: "Trust will Rise Again" or "just wait and see" or "Anae, the new innovator" or "Go Faster, Go Harder" or, "It will work this time." or "it always takes at least six months and one year" or "Experienced and proud" Or "rise up from the ashes." I think you get the picture.

NDCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: 2nd Favorite team

Post by NDCougar »

I agree it won't be special unless BM learns to beat top competition. We have not beaten a top team in years, we can't beat the Utes......no the Texas win does not count as they will not even end the year ranked. I think we will continue to do what we have done, beat the majority of the lesser teams we play nad beat a quality opponent every 3-5 years.