Recruiting weekend

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
cscoug
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Recruiting weekend

Post by cscoug »

So I know this week was dismal for recruiting, with Mama not coming, all QB recruits bailing, Dilosa committing to Missouri, Dale switching to Purdue, and Walton canceling his trip.

On the positive side, if we can get Blackmon, Sutton, Nacua, and Kaufusi on board, we can still have a respectable class. Throw in a JC surprise, and I'm OK, overall, with the results.

Here's to crossing my fingers this week...

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Recruiting weekend

Post by jvquarterback »

There are 4 scholarships for next year. Maybe 6. And 10 spots for 2016 for guys going on missions right away.

I think Nacua and Kaufusi come. Not sure what their mission plans are. Blackmon sounds like he made up his mind - I hope it is BYU. Sutton says he's down to BYU or Colorado so there is a really good shot. I don't know what to think of Gulley. He'd be buried on the DL for 2-3 years so I'd almost rather get a JC guy that can contribute right away. There will be another guy just as good we can get from a JC in 2 years.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
stgeorgefan
Senior

Post by stgeorgefan »

I read somewhere that Nacua might have lost his offer. Dug around TBS and couldn't see anything. Maybe someone could clarify that for me.

What I am looking at in regards to this class is who will actually play anytime soon. A good chunk of these kids will go straight on a mission and might even red shirt when they get home. I'm not to exited about 2018 football yet. Blackman is the recruit I really hope we can snag. He'd be an instant upgrade in the speed dept.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Sounds like the We Don't Go Bowling Utes are going to have a higher rated recruiting class - again. IDK. I did not go look. Just starting to smell like it.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
stgeorgefan
Senior

Post by stgeorgefan »

Cougarbib wrote:Sounds like the We Don't Go Bowling Utes are going to have a higher rated recruiting class - again. IDK. I did not go look. Just starting to smell like it.

Utah has a really low ranked class this year just like the Y. Scout had them Tied for 67th with Colorado. Byu was next up at #69. Both schools with one 4 star player and a handful of 3 star guys. Byu lacks in the overall number of recruits while Utah has a lot of 2 star guys.

nickdutson
BLUEshirt

Post by nickdutson »

stgeorgefan wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:Sounds like the We Don't Go Bowling Utes are going to have a higher rated recruiting class - again. IDK. I did not go look. Just starting to smell like it.

Utah has a really low ranked class this year just like the Y. Scout had them Tied for 67th with Colorado. Byu was next up at #69. Both schools with one 4 star player and a handful of 3 star guys. Byu lacks in the overall number of recruits while Utah has a lot of 2 star guys.
Scout has Utah at 64 and us at 70
Rivals has Utah at 57 and us at 80
Utah as of the last few years seems to jump up another 10-15 spots after signing day.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

nickdutson wrote:
stgeorgefan wrote:
Utah as of the last few years seems to jump up another 10-15 spots after signing day.
The difference in ranking is misleading. If you look at average stars BYU is ahead (just barely) with both scout and rivals. It's the effect of the change in missionary age.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

Exactly, Both rating service give points per recruit, then weigh the class based upon total points. So larger classes are rated higher.

If you review the classes based upon average star rating per recruit, BYU is rated higher right now than Utah.

However, neither are in the top-40, and that is the problem. Recruitng services are biased by region, but top-40 should still be the goal.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

If they get Mama, Blackmon, Nacua, Kaufusi, and Sutton the class would be top 40 by average star rating. Even without Mama it would be close - need to be around 2.85.

Add Jordan Leslie for a year and I think that would be pretty solid.

Also I think the recruiting services mostly get it right by region. If anything they undervalue talent in the south.

Sam Adams
stgeorgefan
Senior

Post by stgeorgefan »

nickdutson wrote:
stgeorgefan wrote:

This is crazy, i went on scout this morning before posting those numbers. Went back and they have changed to what you put. Some mid day recruits sign and adjust the #'s :skeptic: