I think I blame Wrubel!

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
AmmonCougar1
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

I think I blame Wrubel!

Post by AmmonCougar1 »

Last night I listened to Wrubel and Durrant while I watched the game. I had this epiphany that the more I think about it the more merit I think it has:

Greg Wrubel's homerness has a lot to do with why a lot of BYU fans are whiny and feel like everything goes against us.

Seriously, think this through. He is homer to the MAX (Which I like by the way) but he backs up so much of his homerness with statistics that make us believe we are getting screwed at every turn. His ability to change levels of excitement on a dime is uncanny. When we do something even marginal he acts like it was the most amazing Diamond Jewell play of the game. When something happens against us his tone is flat and discouraged just like we all feel except with a microphone and thousands upon thousands nodding their heads in agreement at home!

What think ye all? Truth? Myth?

Go Cougs!!!
J. Child
Ammon, ID

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: I think I blame Wrubel!

Post by Gunk »

I think Wrubell does a good job at what he does, entertain.

I think we as fans don't do a good job of realizing that and are guilty of hearing what we want to hear.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BerliNY
All-American

Post by BerliNY »

If you think Wrubell is a homer, you really need to listen to a radio play-by-play guy from some of the schools in the south (among others). Wrubell does a FANTASTIC job of balancing giving the fans what they want (homerness) with not making a mockery of his profession. The interviews he does with opposing coaches are extraordinarily well done. This year I've noticed him showing a little negative emotion when the opposing teams make a great play, but it's nothing (NOTHING!) compared the the stuff I've heard from other pxp guys (Utes, Clemson, VaTech, UVA, GaTech, etc.) which is just shameless.

Loyal Strong True
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

I haven't heard him for awhile. But he has been much less homerish than many leads. But he does bring more "color" than Durrant, who brings more reasonability and logic, as an attorney might.
But if this is any reference to the "egregious" (mark durrants words after the SMCgame) calls made against BYU vs SMC in the first half, then they are warranted. Tyler gets grabbed, held, pushed, picked, etc and there is a total double standard. He could spend all night at the FT line and the WCC Refs know it. So do the other coaches which is why they have complained to the WCC--bank on it. And as for reality check, consider the second half of the SMC game when at one point the foul totals were 7-1 favoring BYU. The refs know they muffed the first half and were correcting in the second half.
So, ya, Wrubell ought to be whining bc we had been getting hosed.
But to your point, I agree. He probably has trended more toward homer-land than when he took over for the last guy.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Wait. Why is this in the dormant football side?

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

BerliNY wrote:If you think Wrubell is a homer, you really need to listen to a radio play-by-play guy from some of the schools in the south (among others). Wrubell does a FANTASTIC job of balancing giving the fans what they want (homerness) with not making a mockery of his profession. The interviews he does with opposing coaches are extraordinarily well done. This year I've noticed him showing a little negative emotion when the opposing teams make a great play, but it's nothing (NOTHING!) compared the the stuff I've heard from other pxp guys (Utes, Clemson, VaTech, UVA, GaTech, etc.) which is just shameless.
^^^THIS^^^
You don't even have to go listen to a southern school's call. Just tune into ESPN700 during a Ute game to see how much better Wrubell it.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Yeah, I used to think Wrubell was a homer, not to the max, but a clear proponent of BYU, until I listened to other schools play by play guys, especially when I travel to away games or listen to Bill Reilly if I want to check in on how bad the Utes are being beaten, and man, Wrubell may be the most unbiased call guy I've ever heard in my life.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

This is the nature of play by play. A bit of a cheer leader spin without totally selling out. I listen to Wrubel a lot - I do not get Root. He is a homer, but not a sell-out. There is enough honesty. And he is knowledgeable enough and well-prepared.

I think back to some Chicago Cubs and White Sox and Dodgers and Angels broadcasts - those were Homers - Colorful - entertaining.

The OP has substantial truth re effect on fans.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I do think that Wrubbel does more to get the hype machine going than anyone else who covers BYU. But I also don't think BYU fans are any more whiny than any other fan base. EVERY fan base is whiny and thinks their team routinely gets hosed by the refs and that their bitter rivals are chock-full of tools.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
SenorCougar
Sophomore

Post by SenorCougar »

But BYU does endure the worst of the calls. Go Greg! You can always listen to the ESPN announcers to enjoy unbiased game calls...