I think I blame Wrubel!

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BOID
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: I think I blame Wrubel!

Post by BOID »

I think Wrubel is just as he should be. I've heard him express excitement and admiration regarding exceptional plays by BYU opponents, so he does provide some balance. We would not want to hear him celebrating BYU's misfortunes, so it is expected that his tone reflect some sympathy for the home team. KSL would not feel like "The Home of the Cougars" if it were any other way, and the home fans would mostly tune out. I like him; reminds me of the former Paul James.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

SenorCougar wrote:But BYU does endure the worst of the calls. Go Greg! You can always listen to the uninformedESPN announcers to enjoy unbiased game calls because they've never seen these teams so are just guessing about the teams...
Fixed it.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
urroner
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by urroner »

BOID wrote:I think Wrubel is just as he should be. I've heard him express excitement and admiration regarding exceptional plays by BYU opponents, so he does provide some balance. We would not want to hear him celebrating BYU's misfortunes, so it is expected that his tone reflect some sympathy for the home team. KSL would not feel like "The Home of the Cougars" if it were any other way, and the home fans would mostly tune out. I like him; reminds me of the former Paul James.

Paul James had a ton of info at the tip of his tongue and this was before the days of computers. I remember him rattling off all sorts of statistics about players and I loved his comments.

The thing I remember him best for is when Kresimir Cosic was having a great game and ended up on the floor with the basketball. Sitting on the floor, he threw the ball up, surrounded by all sorts of people from the other team, and the ball went into the basket. The place erupted and Paul James played it up like he had never done before. I loved it.

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
SenorCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by SenorCougar »

SpiffCoug wrote:
SenorCougar wrote:But BYU does endure the worst of the calls. Go Greg! You can always listen to the uninformedESPN announcers to enjoy unbiased game calls because they've never seen these teams so are just guessing about the teams...
Fixed it.
I stand corrected ... Great fix!

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

SenorCougar wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
Fixed it.
There is another way to look at this. KSL is doing a localized / focused national broadcast of the games targeted mainly to BY fans. Ditto for BYU TV broadcasts. So, there is a homer, cheerleader component to it. Rah rah rah. Blue Goggles. Packaged that way.

When ESPN or ABC or CBS or NBA does a broadcast, they are targeting a broad regional or national audience depending on the game and want viewers beyond the fan base of the two teams involved. Such fans tune in to watch a game not a goggled event. They do not want to listen to homers.

WCC, PAC, and other conference networks target a conference focused audience and rah rah rah the conference.

Three different products. Kind of like Internet sports and local sports reporters. The more objective they get they may appeal to general readership, but rile up the fan base of specific teams. Example: Ute fans think Monson is a BYU homer. BYU fans either think he is a U homer, or just likes to rile people up. Different product.

I listen to or read all of them. Look for consensus amongst them. Filter out non-sense. Occasionally insights are gained. But, when I watch the game, the announcers do not have much effect on my enjoyment - my eyes take over. Now, listening to a game on the radio, then announcers do impact more because my eyes cannot provide that primary sensory input.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
urroner
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by urroner »

Cougarbib wrote:
SenorCougar wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
Fixed it.
There is another way to look at this. KSL is doing a localized / focused national broadcast of the games targeted mainly to BY fans. Ditto for BYU TV broadcasts. So, there is a homer, cheerleader component to it. Rah rah rah. Blue Goggles. Packaged that way.

When ESPN or ABC or CBS or NBA does a broadcast, they are targeting a broad regional or national audience depending on the game and want viewers beyond the fan base of the two teams involved. Such fans tune in to watch a game not a goggled event. They do not want to listen to homers.

WCC, PAC, and other conference networks target a conference focused audience and rah rah rah the conference.

Three different products. Kind of like Internet sports and local sports reporters. The more objective they get they may appeal to general readership, but rile up the fan base of specific teams. Example: Ute fans think Monson is a BYU homer. BYU fans either think he is a U homer, or just likes to rile people up. Different product.

I listen to or read all of them. Look for consensus amongst them. Filter out non-sense. Occasionally insights are gained. But, when I watch the game, the announcers do not have much effect on my enjoyment - my eyes take over. Now, listening to a game on the radio, then announcers do impact more because my eyes cannot provide that primary sensory input.

Cougarbib, once Wrubel has spoken, the thinking has been done.

:whistle:

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

I love Greg Wrubel. Back in the day when BYU games often were not available, I would pick up a Justin TV feed on my PC including the live chat at the bottom - ignoring what the idiots and haters typed about the Church and BYU - and then pull up KSL Internet radio with a 30 second delay from the game feed, and then follow CBS Sportsline Game Tracker for stats. Those were the days.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.