All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Carlino to Transfer

Post by BoiseBYU »

hawkwing wrote:
Gunk wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:
HoosierCougar wrote:I believe this will only technically be his 3rd school.

He committed to Indiana out of HS but never enrolled, decommitted,
enrolled at UCLA, had issues,
transferred to BYU,
and now to the next stop, where I wish him well.

Matty C - good luck, and may the ball bounce your way (unless you are playing BYU)!
Was never content in High School either. Moved halfway across the country to put himself in what he felt was a better situation for HIS own success.

Who knows what went on behind the scenes. The Dave Rose quote the day before the announcement sounded like Matt was told that he will continue to come off the bench. Who knows if the no schollie for graduated players issue came up like it did in football. No new school has been announced. Sounds like a knee perk reaction to something caused him to act upon feelings that have been building up. I will not call him a quitter if he was asked to return without a schollie, but otherwise - yeah.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
What if he legitimately wanted to go to grad school somewhere else?

Guy certainly moves around. But I think all of us are guilty of looking to put ourselves in situations that are the best for us. I think may be a case of not being content with what he has.

No school may not be announced because he hasn't gotten accepted into a graduate school yet. There may a few schools on his list and then whether those schools have a spot on their roster or not is another question.

I'd never fault a guy for seeking a good educational situation for himself. It's clear Carlino will not make it to the NBA so he can and should be looking to further his education in a way that will help him succeed for the rest of his life. I have absolutely no problem with that.
He is graduating in recreation management, yes? I am ignorant on what sort of graduate degree you get with that?

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

You just start a graduate degree.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Recreation Management is a Major within the Marriott School. I was recently looking at various requirements for various business majors to help my son who is serving a mission register for classes that give him the most flexibility for finalizing a major when he returns. I stumbled across two recreation management majors. I did not see one called Youth Leadership. Perhaps that is a dual major or a minor coming from another Department or just an informal emphasis of electives MC has taken.

One of the two Majors I srumbled on centered around Rehab and had significant physiology content. IDK if it would serve as pre-med. But, looked very interesting. One or both emphasized entrepreneurship a bit.

So. MBA. Sports Medicine. Physical Therapy. Law. Teaching. It would seem that there are many directions he could go. It is a reasonably rigorous degree program.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

I think you can do more with a recreational management degree than you can do with a history degree.

As Bib said, at the graduate level he could go get his MBA, law school, etc. Just have to have a Bachelor's degree to go to graduate school.

I got a communications degree and was on my to med school before I opted not to go that route.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Gunk wrote:I think you can do more with a recreational management degree than you can do with a history degree.

As Bib said, at the graduate level he could go get his MBA, law school, etc. Just have to have a Bachelor's degree to go to graduate school.

I got a communications degree and was on my to med school before I opted not to go that route.
Thanks I wish him the best but if it is an MBA or a law degree for example, he doesn't need to leave to do that

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

The school he goes to has to have the program that BYU does not have. MBA does not fit the bill nor Law School.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

scott715 wrote:The school he goes to has to have the program that BYU does not have. MBA does not fit the bill nor Law School.
You're assuming he could get into BYU's MBA and Law school.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

While Matty is a big loss, I think we'll be pleasantly surprised with Bartley next year. Frank was playing well early in the year, then wasn't playing as well, then lost some confidence and his spot in the rotation. But, we probably don't beat USF without him in the WCC tournament.

Frank can hit the 3, but he can get to the rim in a way I haven't seen a BYU player be able to in a long time (maybe ever).

Chatman will also probably be a decent backup PG next year.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Gunk wrote:
scott715 wrote:The school he goes to has to have the program that BYU does not have. MBA does not fit the bill nor Law School.
You're assuming he could get into BYU's MBA and Law school.
Even within broad categories like MBA or Law. My MBA had options within it. You had to pick one. I chose organizational behavior. There were other options. My son is in Law School. He wanted Tax emphasis with Joint MAC. He could justify transferring possibly on such subtle differences.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
tmoney35
Senior

Post by tmoney35 »

Sad to see him go. He definitely caused a lot of anxiety and frustration, but he was never boring.

I'll always remember the show he put on in the NIT last year. Averaged 18/8/6, pts/ast/rbs in those 4 games. I really thought (hoped) I was seeing the birth of a star that would carry on throughout his last two years, but it never materialized