Keanu Nelson transfer from Stanford

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Keanu Nelson transfer from Stanford

Post by frdbtr »

SpiffCoug wrote:My take away from all the new WRs transferring into the program - Coach Guy was less than impressed with the level talent in the program when he arrived. He needed a quick influx of talent so he hit the JC ranks hard and scoured for graduating players with eligibility left.

Basically what this says to me is BYU had one good WR last year. It says that the returning WRs may not be much in the rotation unless they take all these transfers as a wake up call and start producing.
I agree with this 100%. I kept saying this last year after watching some replay games on byutvsports of the 96 season. BYU's receivers have been really soft the last few years. Hoffman was the only guy last year that would actually fight for a ball, and fight to get open. Hopefully the new guys we brought in will play physical and will actually fight to get open and catch the ball.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

http://1280thezone.com/index.php/audio/ ... u_wr_coach" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Holliday interview about the WR, pod cast.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

SpiffCoug wrote:My take away from all the new WRs transferring into the program - Coach Guy was less than impressed with the level talent in the program when he arrived. He needed a quick influx of talent so he hit the JC ranks hard and scoured for graduating players with eligibility left.

Basically what this says to me is BYU had one good WR last year. It says that the returning WRs may not be much in the rotation unless they take all these transfers as a wake up call and start producing.
Well. Falslev was good and Ridley was decent. They had 2.5 good ones. But they all graduated. That left him with a couple of injury-prone and unproven returnees. We went from thinking we had the best group of receivers ever to having the cupboard bare.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I thought Brandon Doman was supposed to be an awesome recruiter, but evidently we had zilch for talent at WR (other than Hoffman) and a bare cupboard for the OL. Not to mention TE issues.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

it's funny how "big and fast" gets interpreted as "best ever". Big and fast means nothing, Apo is big and supposedly fast (I have never seen him look fast), Mitch Mathews is big and fast (he was the only guy that could get behind a defense last year before injury), but none of them were physical. Hoffman was the most physical of them all and he wasn't nearly as physical as any of the wide out's we had in 96. Watching last years games and the 96 season back to back will shock anyone if you just concentrate on WR play.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

I would take an Andy Boyce or Chuck Cutler any day over what we have seen from Apo. Those guys could catch anything that came their way...and they laid out for the ball too. But, maybe I am just idolizing the receivers of my youth too much. They were followed up with Eric Drage (awesome) and Ben Cahoon (Awesome). So, yeah, I miss those guys who weren't that fast, but ran good routes, got open, and rarely dropped a ball thrown their way.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

frdbtr wrote:it's funny how "big and fast" gets interpreted as "best ever". Big and fast means nothing, Apo is big and supposedly fast (I have never seen him look fast), Mitch Mathews is big and fast (he was the only guy that could get behind a defense last year before injury), but none of them were physical. Hoffman was the most physical of them all and he wasn't nearly as physical as any of the wide out's we had in 96. Watching last years games and the 96 season back to back will shock anyone if you just concentrate on WR play.
As 1996 approaches the 20 year anniversary and 1984/85 - Kozlowski, Brown, and Bellini - hits the 30 year mark, it is time to realize how infrequently BYU has this level and depth of talent. And sadly, even the great ones like Kozlowski, Bellini, and Brown were not NFL franchise players. Collie might have become one - but injury prone career slowed down Collie.

Last edited by Cougarbib on Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Cougarfan87 wrote:I would take an Andy Boyce or Chuck Cutler any day over what we have seen from Apo. Those guys could catch anything that came their way...and they laid out for the ball too. But, maybe I am just idolizing the receivers of my youth too much. They were followed up with Eric Drage (awesome) and Ben Cahoon (Awesome). So, yeah, I miss those guys who weren't that fast, but ran good routes, got open, and rarely dropped a ball thrown their way.
Ever since Apo was hung out to dry by Heaps with late throws over the middle that led to concussions, mixed in with the finger injury before and shoulder injury after, Apo is almost, but not quite, a bust. He gets one more crack, but so far, every receiver you listed contributed so much more than Apo has, that they he does not belong in the same discussion - yet. He gets 1 more crack at it. I hope he is healthy by fall.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Cougarbib wrote:Ever since Apo was hung out to dry by Heaps with late throws over the middle that led to concussions, mixed in with the finger injury before and shoulder injury after, Apo is almost, but not quite, a bust.
I see a number of people bring this up, but as those events happened so early in his tenure at BYU, no one knows if he was just too soft to begin with, or if early injuries his Frosh year really did mess with his psyche.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

He did more in the early few weeks than he has done in 2.5 years since.