Harvey Langi Transfer

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
NDCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: 2nd Favorite team
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Harvey Langi Transfer

Post by NDCougar »

It would be a great pick-up. BYU needs to close him before other schools start getting involved to muddy the waters.

Like Sno, I have no issue with KW not releasing Langi. Bad precedent for Utah, I would do the samething.......BM should not release players to Utah either.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Actually, by not releasing him, especially when Bronco Mendenhall has released kids in the past, is causing a bit of chatter and resentment in the Poly community towards Utah and Whittingham. Resentment that will only grow, if this drags out.

It may end up being for our good for Whittingham to stick to his guns and not release him, in the future, any Poly who thinks he may want to go on a mission and is leaning between BYU And Utah may choose BYU from the beginning.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

When I first saw the OP, I was just going to make a wisecrack about him not being able to outrun a fat, doughnut eating police officer in high school. After reading his comments, I really admire Harvey. I think his Mom needs to try harder to get used to seeing him wear BYU Blue.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

What matters to me is what I can become in 10, 20, 30 years from now. I'm a work in progress. I believe BYU will offer me ways to grow as a person that may not happen at Utah or anywhere else.
I feel BYU will help me reach my goals — I'm not even talking about football. This may seem silly or a small thing, but before my mission, I always wore my hair long. I look forward to standards that will require me to be clean-shaven and wear my hair short.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
NDCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: 2nd Favorite team

Post by NDCougar »

hawkwing wrote:Actually, by not releasing him, especially when Bronco Mendenhall has released kids in the past, is causing a bit of chatter and resentment in the Poly community towards Utah and Whittingham. Resentment that will only grow, if this drags out.

It may end up being for our good for Whittingham to stick to his guns and not release him, in the future, any Poly who thinks he may want to go on a mission and is leaning between BYU And Utah may choose BYU from the beginning.
Could be good for us. I am not sure BM should release anyone to Utah and hard to pick and choose who you allow to leave. If someone leaves to Wyoming I could careless if we release the player, but anyone we will face during the players eligibility timeframe I would tend to not release or not release to any in state team.

If I were KW I would request a face to face with Langi and parents. If they made a good case and did not like my case to stay on campus I would let him go.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

I think that BM should always release players if they want to leave no matter where they want to go.

I agree with Boid. I think that him red shirting is not a bad idea. he looked pretty raw his freshman year. I think a year of practice and watching film and learning form the upperclassman would do him a lot of good. that said, if he is cleared i am sure Bronco will play him. the question is on what side of the ball he will be playing.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

hawkwing wrote:Actually, by not releasing him, especially when Bronco Mendenhall has released kids in the past, is causing a bit of chatter and resentment in the Poly community towards Utah and Whittingham. Resentment that will only grow, if this drags out.

I agree Hawk. articles like these http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=306240 ... -harvey-go" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; are why witt will release him.

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

NDCougar wrote: Like Sno, I have no issue with KW not releasing Langi. Bad precedent for Utah, I would do the samething.......BM should not release players to Utah either.
Vai said this morning that KW, Tom Holmoe, and Vai were all contacted a month ago so all of the parties have known this was coming. It suprises me KW had what appeared to be a knee jerk reaction when Vai talked to him this week when he said "As far as I'm concerned, he's a Ute," he told me. "I'm not releasing him." http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... -week.html

I don't mind a coach saying I'm not realising you if you've locked up a scholorship through recruiting season and then ask to be released. If the player doesn't give you adequate time replace him you shouldn't have to release them but it's just bad P.R. to act like he's a Ute and Im not letting him leave. You would think with a month warning KW would say something more like "I think after we are able to sit down with Harvey he'll realize he can still accomplish all of his goals as a Ute."

Why look defiant and like you don't have the kids best interest in mind? Harvey's mom wants him to stay at the U but maybe when she sees that KW appears to not have any interest in Harvey's interest she'll change her tune.

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Compare Whit to Bronco who released Pritchard who's at OregonState now, yes? I get that Utah fans says this is different because BYU and Utah are rivals, but you can't have it both ways--you cannot say we are rivals and then refuse to schedule us....

CrimsonCoug
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Bronco's policy of always releasing kids if they want to be released, without restrictions, gives unparalleled credibility to his view that his top priority is the student-athletes...as it should be.
It'd be sad to see Whit play hard ball on this, but would only benefit BYU: deteriorates the relationship with the poly community, and by making KW look like a jackass, it proves Harvey's point: being at the U can change otherwise good men into being something less than their best.
All that anti-BYU stuff he'll hear in the next day or so will sound a lot like the sloppy anti-Mormon rhetoric he heard as a missionary in Florida. Elder Langi has the Spirit and is a man; he'll make the right choice, even if he does have to sit out a year. In fact, that may be the best outcome for BYU and him. A year out would tar Whit with his own brush and would help Langi knock off any post-mission rust and help him hang onto the ball a bit better (he did have at least one fumble, though the ball went out of bounds).

Last thought: some have said that he stunk his first year. The KSL article called it disappointing. But 70 yards on 13 carries yields a 5.3 ypc average--pretty darn good.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK