LDS vs Non-LDS

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

LDS vs Non-LDS

Post by scott715 »

Interesting question to think about. Two identical players, which one would you offer? The member or non-member?

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: LDS vs Non-LDS

Post by hawkwing »

Both.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Got to choose one. Limited scholarships. Which one gets the nod?

Stirfry
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Stirfry »

Are they identical people along with being identical players?

Give it to the LDS kid. His family has been supporting BYU just like if you are a state school you should give it to the local player whose family pays taxes not the out of state guy. I also think you're more likely to develop recruiting channels if you give it to the guy who most likely has friends/family that will also be interested.

Hopefully you give one to both though

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

I would NEVER base a pick solely because one is "LDS" and one is not. Putting aside that no two people are ever identical, being LDS does not mean in all cases that a person would benefit from the "BYU experience" and the same is true for the non LDS player. So you'd need to know more about both players before you could decide who to offer.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Non-LDS--the value of what you offer him is far greater.

The LDS kid is still only looking at $5K a year in tuition, which is manageable and better than pretty much any other FBS non-scholarship tuition he'll be looking at. In the absence of any other scholarship offers, he probably metriculates to BYU without a scholarship, maybe as a preferred walk-on.

The non-LDS kids is looking at double that amount in tuition without the scholarship, which would be on a par or worse than a number of FBS options like state schools, so without knowing anything further I'd peg his likelihood to metriculate to BYU without a scholarship at less than 50%.

From my perspective, giving the scholarship to the non-LDS maximizes the chances that both eventually end up on the team at some point in the future.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I think the non member. By giving it to the him, his family and friends could become Cougars and expand our fan base. The LDS kid probably would have no effect. Further, the experience could have more of a profound effect on the kid. Added plus, it could expand our recruiting pool.

NDCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: 2nd Favorite team

Post by NDCougar »

Need more details. Depends where the kids are from and what they have to offer. An example would be, if the LDS kid is from Kentucky and we have no future plans to recruit the area it does little to help from that front, while on the other hand if the non-LDS kid is from a key recruiting area (ex-CA) and we are developing recruiting in the area and with the school you take the non-LDS kid.

Is the LDS kid going to serve a mission? If so what are the expected needs at the position? Do I need immediate help over the next 2 years at the position of the recruit? If so a non-LDS kid fills it better. If not and the position is full the next several years maybe we build for 3+ years down the road with an LDS/RM offer.

Also, on a non-football related note I would clearly want to see if the non-LDS kid could handle BYU. Any concern about honor code? Would he fit in? More downside of a transfer? Etc etc.

Too many variables. I don't make this of a "who would benefit more" decision as it is tough to really know (unless is it is a situation that is glaringly obvious, which does not always happen), I make it a football decision and make sure the non-LDS kid also meets the non-football criteria if he is a better football fit.

Marking Time
Gray Shirt

Interesting question. I'd say the non-LDS

Post by Marking Time »

• The scholarship is worth more to him. Tuition for non-LDS is twice that of LDS students.
• BYU tuition is so low that the LDS recruit might end up as a BYU walkon anyway.
• Non-LDS likely needs the BYU experience more. Practically every college and university in the country has a LDS institute of religion associated with it. That would be available to the LDS recruit if he ends up somewhere else.
• Diversity is a wonder thing.
• No mission scholarship juggling required.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

the mission juggle could be a good point. It is a bit easier now with them serving straight out of high school.