SDSU

BYU Cougars on the court.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

SDSU

Post by Gunk »

We have a legit shot at winning this game. While SDSU is ranked 15th in the nation, they are shooting only 35.8% as a team and they rank 288th in points scored. They are 97th in rebounds and 309th in assists.

The best team they've played so far is #25 Utah and they edged out a 4 point win (53 - 49). In their last game against juggernaut CSU Bakersfield, they shot 24.6% and scored a whopping 51 points.

In short, they suck offensively.

The bad news is, while they stink offensively they are absolute fiends on defense. Sure they only shot 24.6% against Bakersfield, but they held Bakersfield to 21.4%.

Their leading scorer is senior forward Dwayne Polee II (6'7" 195lbs), who's averaging 10.7 pts/game and shooting 29% on the season so far. In case you're wondering whether Polee is just a bit slow out of the gate this season, he averaged 8.5 pts last season and shot 47%. He only played 17 min a game last season; he's been averaging 25 this season and taking about 4 more shots/game this season. So far, the more shots he takes the worse he shoots.

SDSU's overall "best" player seems to be senior forward J.J. O'Brien (6'7" 220lbs). He's been chipping in 10 pts a game, 7.3 rebounds (leading rebounder), 2.3 assists (leading assists), and 3 turnovers. He shooting 35% from the field. He can make his free throws (81% from the line).

Tallest player on their team is 6' 10", 235 lbs Skylar Spencer. He's averaging 22 min a game, 3 points, and 4.7 boards. For reference, Nate Austin is 6'11", 230 lbs. At the same height, Kaufusi has 10 lbs on Skylar. Next biggest player for SDSU is Angelo Chol (6'9", 225 lbs). So, basically they don't have a gigantic bruiser that can push us around.

I don't know anything about SDSU's guards. Given the team leader in assists is their 4, I'm guessing we're not facing a prolific PG; so, perhaps we can breathe a sigh of relief.

Positives:
Size. We've got 5 guys that are as big if not bigger than their biggest guy. We're grabbing about 4 more boards a game than SDSU. We've played powder puffs so far, but I like our chances of winning the glass.
Transition. Given how bad SDSU is shooting, our size, and our love to push the ball we could literally run SDSU out of the gym.
Shooting. We're shooting 53.4% from the field as a team. Good for 15th in the nation. Again, yes that's against some powder puffs, but we're hitting open shots whereas against powder puffs SDSU is shooting sub 30%. We have 20 point advantage. That should get you excited. We're currently the 3rd highest scoring offense in the nation at 95.7 points a game. That's 60% more points/game than SDSU.
Assists. We're averaging 21.7 assists a game (#6th in the nation). SDSU, just 9 assists a game - a lot of that has to do with folks missing shots at SDSU and our ability to make shots, but still, advantage BYU.

Concerns:
SDSU Defense. It's lock down, full court pressure. SDSU dictates the pace of games with their defense. Throw in the fact we have no real PG and it could get ugly real fast.
Mismatches. Fischer sticks to a rotation of 10 guys. Only one (J.J.) is averaging more than 30 min a game. But all 10 guys are north of 12 min a game. And only 2 of those guys are below 6' 5". For BYU, you're either 6' 10" or 6' 2". This could create some match up advantages for SDSU.
Get Hot. SDSU is cold right now but to expect them to shoot 35% the entire season is pretty unrealistic. They are due to get hot and if we don't take care of the ball (we've been turning it over right and left against lesser opponents) we could be looking at SDSU's first hot night of shooting.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Re: SDSU

Post by hawkwing »

I would absolutely love to see Fischer go Jimmer on them. #SDSUtears

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Pomeroy gives BYU a 39% chance of winning.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

hawkwing wrote:Pomeroy gives BYU a 39% chance of winning.
Not too bad. I'd say it's more 50/50.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
rblack
Sophomore

Post by rblack »

By the way, does the game start at 9:30 or 10:30? ESPN shows 11:30 Eastern which would be 9:30 Mountain time. The countdown shows 10:30 MST.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

rblack wrote:By the way, does the game start at 9:30 or 10:30? ESPN shows 11:30 Eastern which would be 9:30 Mountain time. The countdown shows 10:30 MST.
9:30Pm--countdown is off.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BYU looking like your typical BYU basketball team in a big game. Down 9-0 and SDSU hitting everything. of course, right?

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Have I ever mentioned that I hate BYU zone defense.???

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Very slow start. Look like a bunch of jr high kids playing a varsity team.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

KC hit hard. seems to be wincing, immediately comes out of the game and speaks to a concerned looking Dave Rose