BYU hires new Strength and Conditioning Coach

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU hires new Strength and Conditioning Coach

Post by hawkwing »

Looks like a potentially good up and coming coaching hire.
Frank Wintrich, UNT’s Director of Football Performance, has left the school to join the staff at BYU.

Head coach Dan McCarney confirmed the news Tuesday night.

Wintrich was an original member of McCarney’s staff that arrived at UNT before the 2011 season and played a key role in helping the Mean Green gradually improve the size and strength of their team. He oversaw UNT’s strength and conditioning efforts in football throughout his tenure at the school.

McCarney said that Wintrich passed on offers from several other schools in the past to remain at UNT, which won just the third bowl game in program history in the 2013 season when the Mean Green knocked off UNLV in the Heart of Dallas Bowl.

McCarney said he expects to have another strength coach in place in by next week.

UNT’s staff will be back on the road recruiting on Thursday after the NCAA’s dead period ends.

The Mean Green have several veteran members of their strength and conditioning staff remaining who could help fill the void in the interim, including head strength and conditioning coach Chris Seroka, a highly respected member of UNT’s coaching lineup who is in his 15th year at the school. Seroka has worked with UNT’s football players throughout his tenure at the school in addition to overseeing the strength and conditioning program for the school’s men’s basketball team.

Wintrich’s impact was felt throughout the football program during his time at the school, when UNT developed a reputation as a physically imposing team. Starting guards Cyril Lemon and Mason Y’Barbo were both named to the watch list for the Lombardi award goes to the nation’s top lineman or linebacker each season before the 2014 season.

UNT allowed only six sacks in 2012 to lead the nation and ranked seventh the following year when the Mean Green allowed 11 sacks. UNT’s combined total of 17 in that time frame was the lowest total nationally. UNT rushed for 2,349 yards in 2013.

Wintrich came to UNT from South Florida, where he was the school’s Associate Director Of Strength. He also worked at The Citadel, Utah State, Arizona State and Hardin-Simmons.
http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/ ... -byu.html/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: BYU hires new Strength and Conditioning Coach

Post by snoscythe »

Wonder what he'll look like when he shaves....

https://www.onnit.com/honor-roll/frank-wintrich/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Frank Wintrich is the Director of Football Performance at the University of North Texas and brings over a decade of physical preparation experience at the collegiate level to the Onnit Honor Roll. The management of the performance mastery traits: physical, psychological, technical and tactical, necessary to successfully accomplish game day objectives is paramount to the success of the Mean Green football player. Much like the supplements and training equipment offered by Onnit, Wintrich provides the Mean Green with a well-conceived plan executed with intensity, outstanding organization and efficiency through a holistic approach. A highlight of this training has been the development of the multi-year system of training known as P.A.D.S. This program incorporates a holistic approach to the development of athletes, ensuring the mastery of one sport skill before moving forward with the development of a more advanced skill. Wintrich’s training begins with developing the minds of the athletes through the utilization of the “Self Aware Athlete” program. This educational resource teaches the Mean Green athletes how to understand their bodies in order to better provide for their everyday physical and emotional needs. Wintrich’s program principles dictate his athletes train safely, with a focus on development of strength and skills specific to their individual needs and most importantly developing what is referred to as the “Mean Green Warrior Mindset”. This warrior mindset program was developed in conjunction with former USMC Force Reconnaissance Marines and has drastically improved the mental focus, accountability, intensity, aggression, leadership and discipline of the Mean Green athletes. Training results have been proven and measured: over the course of the last two training campaigns, Mean Green football players have averaged testing numbers on par or above the 5 year NFL Combine average at their given position. Injury prevention is a huge component of the UNT Football Performance program, the results of which have led to players maintaining a 95% “ready to play” standard. The results of this injury prevention program speak for themselves as no Mean Green football player has missed competition time due to muscular tissue injury in the last two and a half years. At the same time he and his staff have directly overseen the “return to play” protocols and training of athletes who have suffered injuries that limit their playing time. Prior to his appointment at UNT, Wintrich served at the University of South Florida as the Associate Director of Strength and Conditioning and as the Director of Strength and Conditioning at The Citadel. He also has served Utah State University, Arizona State University and Hardin-Simmons University. In his career, Wintrich has learned under some of the top coaches in the physical preparation community, serving under Joe Kenn at Arizona State and Mark Uyeyama at Utah State. Wintrich earned his Bachelors of Science in Sports and Fitness Management from Kentucky Wesleyan College in 2002. While at KWC, Wintrich earned two varsity letters, was appointed team captain two consecutive years and was a two time All-American at linebacker.

49erCoug
BLUEshirt

Post by 49erCoug »

Seems like a good hire.. Don't know anything about him.. I laughed at someone this morning who wanted to know why we didn't hire the S&C Coach from Texas A&M.. Well.. Just because he is LDS doesn't mean he is coming to BYU.. especially since it would be a HUGE pay cut for him.. let's hope this is a good hire and that things start on the up and up!

trueblue72
Sophomore

Post by trueblue72 »

I like the hire, if anything it's new blood that could help revitalize the program... A la Martzen with recruiting.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by jvquarterback »

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-a ... l-players/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
MileHighCougarFan
Recruit

Post by MileHighCougarFan »

http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/byu-couga ... ning-coach" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I watched a good portion of the podcast w/ him (the language is not always clean )and really liked hearing him talk about what he does. I think it will be a very good thing. When I was in high school I got to workout w/ the CU (University of Colorado) strength and conditioning coach Doc Kreis and physically exploded doing the stuff he taught me. A good S&C Coach is a great thing. I see this guy as really getting athletes to maximize their physical gifts.

After watching Oregon and Ohio State, I can say we really need to beef up all the way around and need some real depth w/ our physical players 1st 2nd and 3rd string.

And hopefully he knows how to strengthen ankles.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

Wow....that guy talks with energy, doesn't he. Makes me want to go work out. :)

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Looks like the title of the thread should be "BYU hires new director of football performance."

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »