Is BYU basketball getting worse?

BYU Cougars on the court.
KYCoug
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Is BYU basketball getting worse?

Post by KYCoug »

Rodman in his prime (say 91 in Detroit) averaged 18.7 rebounds and 9.8 points a game. To compare that to Austin's average this year of 5.6 rebounds and 3 points is laughable. He may be a great guy and I appreciate that he has hung with the program and improved every year but nobody is going to worry about him offensively.

If you're going to run a 4 guard offense you have to have a big who will demand attention on the offensive end even if he's a primarily defensive guy.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

KYCoug wrote:Rodman in his prime (say 91 in Detroit) averaged 18.7 rebounds and 9.8 points a game. To compare that to Austin's average this year of 5.6 rebounds and 3 points is laughable. He may be a great guy and I appreciate that he has hung with the program and improved every year but nobody is going to worry about him offensively.

If you're going to run a 4 guard offense you have to have a big who will demand attention on the offensive end even if he's a primarily defensive guy.
Nobody worries about Rodman on offense. You are missing the point.
Let me help you with this.
Would you rather have Austin or Worthington starting for your team? I rest my case.
Any team that has to start Worthington and replace him with a young, energetic, athletic, but highly unskilled (football cross-over) big is in serious trouble. Austin and Aytes make this a second place WCC team and headed to the big Dance.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Bbt overall, NO, BYU bball is NOT getting worse. There is a ton of talent on the way and will be good for the next four-to-six years. And if BYU can re-land Frank Jackson (at this point doubtful as all the success goes to his head) BYU could in fact be a top 10 team.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Cougs_Rule wrote:
KYCoug wrote:Rodman in his prime (say 91 in Detroit) averaged 18.7 rebounds and 9.8 points a game. To compare that to Austin's average this year of 5.6 rebounds and 3 points is laughable. He may be a great guy and I appreciate that he has hung with the program and improved every year but nobody is going to worry about him offensively.

Would you rather have Austin or Worthington starting for your team? I rest my case.
In the face of such a question, it's no wonder BYU has struggled this year.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

No doubt. Bigs are bleak. And it ain't better next year.
Biggest hopes next year for bigs are---
1. Austin can get a hardship, and come back.
2. Aytes can full heal and be legit at four--not sure he is.
3. Davis can help--but, I'm not sure, will he be like Josh Sharp as a transfer?
3. Hartsock miraculously can play as a four as a true frosh.
4. Kaufusi can somehow bulk up a little and improve a lot.
5. Neilson,.... Ah forget it.

Still not good , let alone great, till Mika is back and Kaufusi has another season or two of development.

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

Davis is legit as a rebounder and scorer (PF)- review what he did to BYU when he played against them at USU. Collinsworth is back next year (still needs to develop shot - likely plays SF), and Aytes is dominant at PF. I believe that we may have 3 forwards on front line with Fisher and Emery at guard positions. If Austin redshirted and returns, we have our center. Good depth to back up with Kafusi and Worthington to play tough D along with supporting cast of Nixon, Toolson, Nielson, Andrus, et. al. Much better depth and versatility.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

Cougs_Rule wrote:No doubt. Bigs are bleak. And it ain't better next year.
Biggest hopes next year for bigs are---
1. Austin can get a hardship, and come back.
2. Aytes can full heal and be legit at four--not sure he is.
3. Davis can help--but, I'm not sure, will he be like Josh Sharp as a transfer?
3. Hartsock miraculously can play as a four as a true frosh.
4. Kaufusi can somehow bulk up a little and improve a lot.
5. Neilson,.... Ah forget it.

Still not good , let alone great, till Mika is back and Kaufusi has another season or two of development.
My guess is the rotation will be something like this

Emery/Calvert/Chatman/Ellis/Ainge
Fischer/Bartley
KC/Toolson
Davis/Aytes/Hartsock/Shaw
Kaufusi/Worthington/Neilson

Point guard is going to be a crap shoot. Everyone besides Fischer and KC are unproven. I expect that KC, Fischer and Davis will carry the scoring load.

At least we should have more size and strength.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Rodman was a two-time NBA defender of the year, two-time All-Star and may be the best rebounder in the history of the Association. He has 5 of the top-8 rebounding seasons in since the merger.

BYU doesn't have anyone anything approaching Rodman-like. If we did, we'd be a MUCH better team. Our post-players are closer to the Island of Misfit Toys than they are to Rodman.

BYUBALLIN
Sophomore

Post by BYUBALLIN »

snoscythe wrote:When Nate Austin is the answer to what a team is missing, your team isn't very good. Above average? Maybe.
I don't think anyone is saying he is the missing link but he does the dirty work BYU could use right now.

BYUBALLIN
Sophomore

Post by BYUBALLIN »

Yes you totally missed the point I was making Rodman did dirty work you need a guy like that on your team.. That's what Austin bring off rebounds and def draws charges in the paint BYU could use that.