Dream Job

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Dream Job

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Man, they care about the honor code so much they list it twice as a job requirement. ;)

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
imuakahuku
All-American

Post by imuakahuku »

frdbtr wrote:
scott715 wrote:Okay guys, time to put your money where your online mouth is.

https://yjobs.byu.edu/postings/6044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And if you get it, we'll have an inside source.
While I would love that job, I wouldn't be able to take the pay cut I would have to take to accept it.
I almost posted the exact same thing. The pay does not appear to be very competitive for a key position.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

imuakahuku wrote:The pay does not appear to be very competitive for a key position.
I'm not sure exactly how "key" the position is. BYU didn't even have the position until Martzen came about just a few years ago. Prior to that, an assistant coach was selected to also wear the "recruiting coordinator" hat.

So it's a job that until 3 years ago somebody already on staff did without any increase in pay. I can see why a school would hesitate to offer beyond $70K for that, especially now that they've gleaned the ins and outs of developing a more efficient recruiting process after having Martzen and his Alabama experience here. Holmoe is probably thinking, "beyond $70K for an exceptional recruiter, let's just hand this off to 2J and Holliday and put a couple extra blue seats in the Marriott Center"

I think fans are overblowing what a recruiting coordinator does. He isn't a general manager. He doesn't look at the team and assess what they need. He doesn't choose what players get offered scholarships. All he does is take a list of needs generated by the coaching staff, and looks for potential fits and passes those lists off to the coaches. He also weeds out the obvious chaff from referrals. On a macro-scale, that's it--he's not a recruiter, he's a coordinator who coordinates the recruiting process under the direction of the coaching staff.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

So you're saying the sole reason BYU didn't recruit or land Porter Gustin is because of Geoff Martzen.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

I think this guy needs to be able to evaluate talent to save the coaches valuable time. He might also help determine if he might be a BYU fit-character evaluation. The more kids that can be looked at, they better the results will be.