SEC says BYU is P5

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
HoosierCougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

SEC says BYU is P5

Post by HoosierCougar »

Heard this right after Baylor lost in the NCAAs... salve to my wounds

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... commitment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Re: SEC says BYU is P5

Post by stuckinbig10country »

You know what the most important part about this is?

It gives us a little more negotiating power next time the championship series comes up again for renewal. Also, will help in bowl negotiations.

This is a pretty big statement for the team.

dsmith1212
BLUEshirt

Post by dsmith1212 »

"Beginning in 2016, the SEC will require its league members to play at least one nonconference Power 5 team. Notre Dame had always been included as a nonconference Power 5 team by the SEC, but the league recently decided to also allow games against BYU and Army to count, sources said.

The SEC and ACC are the only Power 5 leagues that require their league members to play at least one nonconference Power 5 opponent. In January, the ACC changed its stance to allow games against BYU to count toward its requirement. However, games against Army will not count toward the ACC's requirement, a source said."

To me the best take-always are that BYU now has:

1. Gravitas confirmed by unimpeachable sources - with a strong helping of "good ol' boy" acceptance ("if you are good enough to qualify to play my team then you are good enough for me.")

2. Scheduling opportunities that should continue to improve and increase - potentially quickly and greatly. [See #1, above.]

3. Greater access to top 25 votes, television viewers, and media acceptance because of public perception.

4. A much better chance to continue to make independence work together with an improved seat at the table as future conference shifts and CF landscape changes take shape.

I continue to be a wholehearted fan of independence.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Glad they finally put us on a par with Army...

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

snoscythe wrote:Glad they finally put us on a par with Army...
Funny... But they've always had us as on par with Army. At lease this way (for them) it's not the "BYU rule" giving us any sort of special treatment, they just moved up multiple teams instead of one.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

Kind of a an interesting conundrum. Keeps us in a way from going to a conference (other than P5) because we'd lose such a status as a member of say like the American Athletic Conference. I don't think you'd want to give that recognition up.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Good point. Just wondering if we did and they had just us on their schedule as a OOC P5 game, what would they do?

dsmith1212
BLUEshirt

Post by dsmith1212 »

Drop us like a hot potatoe and so would the rest of the world.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

dsmith1212 wrote:"Beginning in 2016, the SEC will require its league members to play at least one nonconference Power 5 team. Notre Dame had always been included as a nonconference Power 5 team by the SEC, but the league recently decided to also allow games against BYU and Army to count, sources said.

The SEC and ACC are the only Power 5 leagues that require their league members to play at least one nonconference Power 5 opponent. In January, the ACC changed its stance to allow games against BYU to count toward its requirement. However, games against Army will not count toward the ACC's requirement, a source said."

1. Gravitas confirmed by unimpeachable sources - with a strong helping of "good ol' boy" acceptance ("if you are good enough to qualify to play my team then you are good enough for me.")

2. Scheduling opportunities that should continue to improve and increase - potentially quickly and greatly. [See #1, above.]

3. Greater access to top 25 votes, television viewers, and media acceptance because of public perception.

4. A much better chance to continue to make independence work together with an improved seat at the table as future conference shifts and CF landscape changes take shape.

This looks like an attempt at rational Exhuberance, but fails.
1. What the little (almost the littlest, if not for the perrenial power of the wishbone magic) kid always thinks, even when he is picked last for a team. Not necessarily true.
2. Probably. Easy food, easily obtained, = a lot of customers. Just ask Obama voters.
3.Not so fast. BYU risks being not only the little kid, but the doormat for tougher teams , tougher seasons, more injuries vs tougher teams, and ......see number 5 below.
4. Maybe the most accurate of your assertions.
5. MORE LOSSES and risk of losing seasons and all that goes with losing seasons, including losing recruits who actually want to be a part of winning teams. Careful what you ask for.
6. More access to better bowls--oh wait, have to be more than just barely bowl eligible to do that.
7. Continued good tv coverage, bc we are Independant, right? Um, do you think the. SEC and ACC are just going to allow 2nd or 3tier rights. You think ESPN is going to want to cover a team with more losses and losing seasons? But I guess there is always 830pm Saturday night slots.
8. Ute fans making fun of the BYU fans that think they have arrived only to choke on losses.

Mark my words Cougar fans. This may have been a great victory on the surface, today, and it is certainly a pretty huge gamble by Holmoe to show that BYU can compete with the big boys 5 or 6 times a year, but if this doesn't lead to a P5 conference invite, this could turn on its side. But hey, we'll have our home schedule filled with big names, won't we.

Scraps from the table always seems better than no scraps at all.

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

Cougs_Rule wrote:
dsmith1212 wrote:"Beginning in 2016, the SEC will require its league members to play at least one nonconference Power 5 team. Notre Dame had always been included as a nonconference Power 5 team by the SEC, but the league recently decided to also allow games against BYU and Army to count, sources said.

This looks like an attempt at rational Exhuberance, but fails.
1. What the little (almost the littlest, if not for the perrenial power of the wishbone magic) kid always thinks, even when he is picked last for a team. Not necessarily true.
2. Probably. Easy food, easily obtained, = a lot of customers. Just ask Obama voters.
3.Not so fast. BYU risks being not only the little kid, but the doormat for tougher teams , tougher seasons, more injuries vs tougher teams, and ......see number 5 below.
4. Maybe the most accurate of your assertions.
5. MORE LOSSES and risk of losing seasons and all that goes with losing seasons, including losing recruits who actually want to be a part of winning teams. Careful what you ask for.
6. More access to better bowls--oh wait, have to be more than just barely bowl eligible to do that.
7. Continued good tv coverage, bc we are Independant, right? Um, do you think the. SEC and ACC are just going to allow 2nd or 3tier rights. You think ESPN is going to want to cover a team with more losses and losing seasons? But I guess there is always 830pm Saturday night slots.
8. Ute fans making fun of the BYU fans that think they have arrived only to choke on losses.

Mark my words Cougar fans. This may have been a great victory on the surface, today, and it is certainly a pretty huge gamble by Holmoe to show that BYU can compete with the big boys 5 or 6 times a year, but if this doesn't lead to a P5 conference invite, this could turn on its side. But hey, we'll have our home schedule filled with big names, won't we.

Scraps from the table always seems better than no scraps at all.
You do realize we didn't just join the SEC correct? We might play one game against them every 2-3 years. I think 2-3 games out of 24-36 games won't cause the sky to fall. If I didn't know better I'd think you and CougarBib wrote this post jointly.

This is only good news for BYU. It gives more reason for quality opponents to schedule us. If the SEC and ACC publicly acknowledge us the BIG12, Big10, and Pac12 will also even if unofficially.

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it