All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU Ball Players Transfering

Post by Qman »

E-Zone15 wrote:Neilson shocked that he was asked to transfer, but not bitter;
http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/byusports/2 ... ed-that-he

:whistle:

This article was heart wrenching for me. It is one thing to go to a kid and say "We have a scholarship crunch and we need to pull your scholarship. However, you can stay a walk-on or we will grant your release if you wish."

But just that we are releasing you and we don't even want your as a walk-on is brutal. This doesn't put Rose in a good light.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Schmoe »

Qman wrote:

This article was heart wrenching for me. It is one thing to go to a kid and say "We have a scholarship crunch and we need to pull your scholarship. However, you can stay a walk-on or we will grant your release if you wish."

But just that we are releasing you and we don't even want your as a walk-on is brutal. This doesn't put Rose in a good light.
Since Cougs_rule hasn't said anything on the matter, I'll chime in for him:
You must be Bronco's mother. ;)

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Qman wrote:

Leaders have to make tough decisions sometimes. Rose is a leader and doesn't shy away from telling kids they aren't working out. It is too bad for the kid but that is the way life and the job market work. Better to learn it early in life, rather than later.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Hamson looked much better in the video than I expected. I think you give him a scholarship. I think he looked better than Bradley did way back when.

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

Schmoe wrote:
Qman wrote:

Since Cougs_rule hasn't said anything on the matter, I'll chime in for him:
You must be Bronco's mother. ;)
Ouch! The double insult-calling female and Bronco's mother at once. You missed your life calling hosting roasts of B-list LDS 'celebrities'.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Rose has learned that the Harwards and Nielson's of the world are just tall guys who happen to look good vs high school talent but just aren't effective at the D1 level. While unfortunate for Nielson, if he really wanted to play he would have been working on his strength and inside game before end of season. If he hadn't received any feedback from coaches, he should have learned from his PT that it just wasn't working. And if he hadn't learned from getting his butt kicked in practice, then he isn't very smart. If other words, if he couldn't adapt his game to a strong post presence, he didn't get it. I'm sure Austin helped guide him on what was needed or wanted by Rose. Credit Rose for cutting him loose and giving him a chance to go play somewhere else, if he still wants to play. The best bosses are the ones who recruit the right person, and then try to help a person find the right seat on the bus and after attempts to develop and train, if the person isn't a fit, it's helping them find another opportunity and not jacking around and ignoring the issue and wasting time. Go find another seat on another bus. Its a hard msg but an honest one. It's a lot easier for a football coach to bury a player who's not working out.
But yes, let's hope he knows something we don't, bc the post cupboard could once again be a little bare if Nate Austin can't comeback. At least Luke had some base strength to not get pushed around. He wasn't much more effective than Isaac, but I'm sure even he was going to get some pressure. Isaac would just get abused down low. He didn't like contact. Wrong job.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

I wish both players the best of luck.

Regarding, Nielson, that has to suck for him. Having gotten a call out of the blue and been laid off, I can relate. It's hard but the experience will pay dividends. What was interesting to me is Nielson's preference to shoot and not mix it up down low. If he wanted to take jumpers at BYU, he never would have gotten playing time over Kaufusi, Davis, or Mika. Those guys aren't afraid to mix it up down low and that's what BYU needs. BYU does NOT need "stretch fours" or centers that "prefer space." We have an arsenal of shooters. So, if that is Nielson's game, I can see why Rose let him go.

Now, this does reflect poorly on Rose. According to Nielson at no point did the coaches approach him about becoming a low post player. Very, very poor communication. If low post scoring is needed, Nielson and our other bigs should have been told that's what is needed from them and that's what they should work on. Why recruit a big that likes to play in space if you have no intention of using the big as a shooter? Nielson essentially was set up to fail and if his account is accurate at no point was he given the opportunity to change. That's messed up. You don't hire a person for a skill set, never use their skill set and then fire them because they didn't perform a skill they didn't know they were supposed to perform. Wonder if this has to do with Pope at all...

To all would-be BYU bigs, ditch the "stretch" portion of your game. Don't be scared to mix it up down low.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I reject the notion that any player wasn't told what was expected of them. A 6'11'' player shouldn't have to be told that they need to be a strong rebounder and solid post defender. That's where Nielson wasn't making the grade.

You can keep the stretch portion of your game if you are willing to play solid post defense and rebound.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

SpiffCoug wrote:I reject the notion that any player wasn't told what was expected of them. A 6'11'' player shouldn't have to be told that they need to be a strong rebounder and solid post defender. That's where Nielson wasn't making the grade.

You can keep the stretch portion of your game if you are willing to play solid post defense and rebound.
Agreed. There is no way he wasn't told time and time again what was expected of him. He should have known on his own that he would be a better stretch 4 if he had low post abilities It doesn't need to be said, it's blatantly obvious.