BYU has another NFL quarterback!

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU has another NFL quarterback!

Post by SpiffCoug »

Alphaleonis wrote:And, according to the article that Scott posted directly above this one, Heap's cumulative college PER was 108.8, not "sub 100". I again opine that 108.8 is not bad under the very, very sub-par offensive machinery he was operating under, and that the morons who say that he was a practice quarterback but not a game quarterback are just dead wrong.
108.8 is a poor PER under ANY offensive system.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Heaps was sub-100 at Kansas (and at Miami), which is what I was referring to. You were trying to make him seem like he was a good qb at Kansas, which he was not (he was worse than when he was at BYU). If it were his coaches' fault, wouldn't other qb's have done just as poorly? Let's look at the numbers:

BYU: Heaps overall per-114, Other QB-131

Kansas: Heaps per-97, Other QB-60 (Cummings, who had a per of 122 the following year, had a 249, but only threw four passes, obviously the best qb on the roster)

Miami: Jake Heaps-85, Other QB-145 (I don't know about you, and I'm just a "moron," but it looks like the coaches here did a darn good job, at least with the other guy. But hey, it's only a 60-point difference...)

So, according to the numbers, Heaps wasn't the best QB no matter where he went, which is really saying something when you're at a dumpster-fire program like Kansas.

Also, just for some perspective. In the FBS last year, the AVERAGE starting QB per was 138. That's 30 points above Heaps, 30 points.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

And with all that said, he's making NFL paychecks, is positioned perfectly to make an official practice squad, and is a season ending injury away from making an NFL roster. Don't tell me that the Jets are keeping him there because they need a warm body. The Jets fans (and I among them, born under a bad sign) are two bad games from Geno Smith away from looking down the depth chart for answers. Jake is pretty nicely positioned to be an NFL mainstay, actually. Smith and Tannehil aren't longterm projections, so he essentially needs to beat out Petty and bide his time.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Brayden Green wrote:And with all that said, he...is positioned perfectly to make an official practice squad...
And we've come full circle. The best practice player in the country.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Schmoe wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:And with all that said, he...is positioned perfectly to make an official practice squad...
Hmmm. Not sure he is the best. But if he is, then that is something, isn't it? You mean it as a snide comment, but I'd definitely sign up for $5,000 a week. The only other place you'll find that kind of money is selling rocks.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Ahh, the debate that never dies. I find it funny that someone who has the sig "Anae is not the guy" also opines what could have been if Anae had never left and developed Heaps.

We can all nitpic and blame coaches for not developing a guy who is now a tackling dummy for the jets but the fact remains that Heaps was never the best QB on any college roster in his career and transferred twice because he couldn't handle being beat out by better guys. If he becomes a journeyman practice QB in the NFL more power to him.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Brayden Green wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
You mean it as a snide comment...
I don't, though. I simply mean it as an observation.

We all thought he was going to be great, we were all hoping for the next Detmer, especially seeing him perform in the open practices/scrimmages. But the kid's subconsciously afraid of contact and doesn't play well in games and he got worse each year of his college career.

He's a great practice player, and that is saying something, and he may have just found the perfect job for himself on an NFL practice squad, good for him. It's not like anyone is wishing him harm or bad luck here.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

frdbtr wrote:I find it funny that someone who has the sig "Anae is not the guy" also opines what could have been if Anae had never left and developed Heaps.
Anae is a good, at best, offensive coordinator. He has proven himself to be very good at times against teams with a losing record. BYUs offense has never performed exceptionally against top 50 defenses.

Anae is and was a step up from Brandon Doman, who was given a promotion to OC possibly 10 years to early by one of the worst coaching talent evaluators in the country. I love Doman, but he was so bad at the playcalling and general management of being an OC. Heaps would have gotten better under Anae, kept the job instead of "losing" it to Riley, and we would have continued doing miserably against top 50 defenses under Anae.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Schmoe, ok. I can agree to most of that.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

As of this moment, Jake Heaps is the #3 QB on the Jets' (a franchise known for quarterbacking prowess in recent years) roster. This comes only after a 2nd year ILB out of La. Tech "sucker punched" Geno Smith in the jaw, breaking it in two places and putting Geno out for the first 6-10 weeks of the season.

You can't make this stuff up.

Maybe Heaps' "handlers" help set these events in motion as part of the Master Plan?