Low Blow

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Low Blow

Post by Gunk »

Unfortunately, Lapuaho's low blow to the groin area is getting as much attention in the press as our win. Figured it would and now there are a slew of "shame on BYU, aren't they Christians" stories.

Was the blow low, yes. Does that sort of thing happen in piles at every football game, probably, but do you think there should have been more repercussion?

On a side note, I expect more articles on how as Christians we should be above such behavior should we continue to win. Hating on religion in any sort of fashion is in vogue.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
ABYUFAN
Pro

Re: Low Blow

Post by ABYUFAN »

Gunk wrote:Unfortunately, Lapuaho's low blow to the groin area is getting as much attention in the press as our win. Figured it would and now there are a slew of "shame on BYU, aren't they Christians" stories.

Was the blow low, yes. Does that sort of thing happen in piles at every football game, probably, but do you think there should have been more repercussion?

On a side note, I expect more articles on how as Christians we should be above such behavior should we continue to win. Hating on religion in any sort of fashion is in vogue.

Where are you seeing these stories? I haven't seen any of them.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

They are several articles.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

ABYUFAN wrote:
Gunk wrote:Unfortunately, Lapuaho's low blow to the groin area is getting as much attention in the press as our win. Figured it would and now there are a slew of "shame on BYU, aren't they Christians" stories.

Where are you seeing these stories? I haven't seen any of them.

Washington Post did one. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear ... tive-area/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have seen a few come over my Facebook feed. Do a Google news search for BYU football and 12 articles pop up on it.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Suspend him for a quarter and be done with it. He got hit late and lost his cool and it got flagged.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

Those who are trying to make a big thing out of the groin hit are those who already have a problem with the Church/BYU, regardless of what anyone affiliated with it - even a college football player - does or doesn't do.

I mean, for those who already havent, go look at how many posts there are about the groin hit on Ute Fans. It's like these chumps are so pissed that we pulled out a win they are trying to alleviate their frustration by obsessing over the groin hit. At the very least totally exaggerating and blowing things way out of proportion to where BYU is the dirtiest team in the history of organized sports. The more extreme ones will try to use this as an avenue to knock the Church. Even some ALUFs who, ironically enough, otherwise claim there's no reason to connect BYU and the Church when they try to justify rooting for Utah over BYU.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

It was a low blow. It was stupid. I thought they could have flagged the late hit but didn't.

bottom line, don't punch a guy in the nards. especially on ESPN. I'd be ok with a punch, shove, push, grabbin a facemask, etc, but as a fan I don't like seeing anyone aim for the groin area. I still don't like Chris Paul for going the same thing to Julius hodge while in college.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by jvquarterback »

Schmoe wrote:Suspend him for a quarter and be done with it. He got hit late and lost his cool and it got flagged.
There better not be a suspension for any time period. If there is any punishment at all it should be the same as any other 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Run some extra laps and go visit one of the local elementary schools and tell them not to hit other kids in the groin on ESPN.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

BroncoBot wrote:It was a low blow. It was stupid. I thought they could have flagged the late hit but didn't.

bottom line, don't punch a guy in the nards. especially on ESPN. I'd be ok with a punch, shove, push, grabbin a facemask, etc, but as a fan I don't like seeing anyone aim for the groin area. I still don't like Chris Paul for going the same thing to Julius hodge while in college.
Nobody is saying it wasn't a low blow. What I have a problem with is people using this incident as an excuse to yell everything from "BYU's always been dirty" to "Mormons are hypocrites." Talk about blowing things out of proportion. :roll:

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

I was upset with the officials for allowing that poser, James, IIRC, to spear Ului on the ground late, and to continue to try to wrestle the ball away after the play was way dead. Ului was on the ground, in possession of the ball, all by himself. He was trying to get up so he could hand the ball to the official, rather than allow James to pretend that he had any claim on it. James deserved the penalty way before the punch was thrown out of frustration.

I don't condone punching the guy, but I doubt that there was any deliberate attempt to target the nads.

I agree that this kind of thing gets little attention when it happens with equal frequency among secular programs. The Utes and other haters want the week's story to be all about this instead of about the exciting Cougar wins, or about Mangum getting zero football training on his mission and yet producing famous, improbable, clutch plays.

It's been a very tough and discouraging 8 or 9 days for the BYU haters.