U Devontae Booker RB is out for the season

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Ungoy
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: U Devontae Booker RB is out for the season

Post by Ungoy »

I want to see UCLA deliver a shellacking to Utah this weekend, and then see them lay an egg against Colorado next week.

The best part of the year outside of BYU was the loss to Arizona and how that finally shut up the Utah to the playoffs talk.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

If UCLA wins tomorrow, doesn't that knock Utah out of contention for the PAC 12 South title?

Could Utah still finish 5th in the PAC 12 South....again? Or is 4th place their floor?

redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

With a 5-2 conference record, the worst they can do is 5-4. They could drop behind UCLA, who has the potential for 6-3, or if UCLA beats Utah but drops their other game they'd own the tiebreaker. AZ is at 3-5 right now, and their ceiling is 4-5. CO is worse. ASU can get to 5-4, but Utah owns that tiebreaker, so the floor for Utah is #3 in the Pac-12 South.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

redneckjedi wrote:With a 5-2 conference record, the worst they can do is 5-4. They could drop behind UCLA, who has the potential for 6-3, or if UCLA beats Utah but drops their other game they'd own the tiebreaker. AZ is at 3-5 right now, and their ceiling is 4-5. CO is worse. ASU can get to 5-4, but Utah owns that tiebreaker, so the floor for Utah is #3 in the Pac-12 South.
If Utah wants any shot at winning the PAC-12 South, they must win this week vs UCLA. Otherwise their ceiling is #2.

If they lose to UCLA, they're now 5-3 in conference and if UCLA wins out, UCLA wins the South. A loss to UCLA and the Utes lose the tie breakers to the two teams with whom they're fighting for the South title.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

Wolverine wrote:
KingCoug wrote:Very good news :D

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Respectfully disagree.
Why? Booker not playing significantly weakens the Ute offense and makes more losses more likey. In case you forgot, Utah is our rival. How is that not good news?

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
Wolverine
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Wolverine »

KingCoug wrote:
Wolverine wrote:

Respectfully disagree.
Why? Booker not playing significantly weakens the Ute offense and makes more losses more likey. In case you forgot, Utah is our rival. How is that not good news?

Oh I have no problem with Utah taking a beat down. Not much in life makes me happier. Yet I don't wish ill will on any player and never consider it "very good news" when a player suffers a season ending to injury, no matter the team. If I can only find happiness and joy and satisfaction at the expense of another's misfortune, I would have a hard time looking at myself in the mirror. For some people, that is there standard operating procedure. Just not my cup of tea, hence my "respectfully disagree" comment.

TheDean
Freshman

Post by TheDean »

hawkwing wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
hawkwing wrote:They legit over worked Booker. He has the most carries of any RB in the NCAA by a decent margin. They should have paced him just a little bit more.
they really couldn't, he was their entire offense. they had no offense without him. This is a huge loss for them. I don't see them winning again.
For sure, but when they had a decent lead late in games they needed to give the ball to someone else instead of trying to run up the score by feeding him the rock time and time again.
Except Utah never had a decent lead in any game except for the Oregon and Fresno St games.
frdbtr wrote:You hate to see guys get injured but Kwhit has been crowing about "next man up" all year making fun of BYU's injury issues. Lets see how well that works out for him now that his best player is out. We lost ours before the 1st half of the 1st game was over and look where we are. We also lost our second best player before fall camp started and look where we are. Lets see how they survive when 80% of their offense is gone.
I too hate see anyone get hurt especially when they are having a great senior season. I'm like you let’s see how Whit feels to have the injury shoe on the other foot now.
YNot wrote:If UCLA wins tomorrow, doesn't that knock Utah out of contention for the PAC 12 South title?

Could Utah still finish 5th in the PAC 12 South....again? Or is 4th place their floor?
USC did that by their beat down of the Utes and UCLA had a decent chance of winning any way and and even better one now that Booker is injured. The Utes have been playing on the edge and above their heads all season long and it has just been sheer luck that Booker wasn't injured sooner.
redneckjedi wrote:With a 5-2 conference record, the worst they can do is 5-4. They could drop behind UCLA, who has the potential for 6-3, or if UCLA beats Utah but drops their other game they'd own the tiebreaker. AZ is at 3-5 right now, and their ceiling is 4-5. CO is worse. ASU can get to 5-4, but Utah owns that tiebreaker, so the floor for Utah is #3 in the Pac-12 South.
The Utes will finish with a least 3 losses maybe 4 depending on how the Colorado game goes as the Utes should still beat Colorado without Booker the way Colorado has been playing.
Wolverine wrote:
KingCoug wrote:
Wolverine wrote:

Respectfully disagree.

Oh I have no problem with Utah taking a beat down. Not much in life makes me happier. Yet I don't wish ill will on any player and never consider it "very good news" when a player suffers a season ending to injury, no matter the team. If I can only find happiness and joy and satisfaction at the expense of another's misfortune, I would have a hard time looking at myself in the mirror. For some people, that is there standard operating procedure. Just not my cup of tea, hence my "respectfully disagree" comment.
For once Wolverine I agree with you, which is a first, as you are usually a troll.

SenorCougar
Sophomore

Post by SenorCougar »

Couldn't happen to a nicer group of fans and players. I feel their pain... NOT! May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits! Can't wait for Colorado to embarrass them.... Ha ha.

redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

Here is an interesting question I use when determining whether someone is a fan of their own team, or a hater of the rival team. Would you rather A) your team win AND your rival also win, or B) your team lose and your rival also lose? Option B, without exception, puts you in the hater camp. I think finding pleasure in injuries to rival players---or any player, for that matter---should as well.

Haters are generally not happy people, and they have no control over their own happiness because so much of it is based on factors beyond their control. Generally, I find there are a lot more Utes in that camp than Cougars. Let's keep it that way.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

redneckjedi wrote:Here is an interesting question I use when determining whether someone is a fan of their own team, or a hater of the rival team.