Firesides: Likely Going Away.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BYULV
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Firesides: Likely Going Away.

Post by BYULV »

When /where did someone suggest the fire sides were going away?

bamf3000
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by bamf3000 »

I honestly dont know much about them and dont know how religious they are, but I could see it both ways. If they kept it pretty open and comfortable for all players/fans, I think its a good way to reach out to fans and give our players an opportunity to reflect on things. At the same time, I dont think it should be a church heavy event.

Maybe he will continue them in some other fashion? What do most other schools do instead?

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

KS made the comments yesterday. I saw it all over twitter. This thread has quoted him accurately. We shall see what happens.

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

bamf3000 wrote:I honestly dont know much about them and dont know how religious they are, but I could see it both ways. If they kept it pretty open and comfortable for all players/fans, I think its a good way to reach out to fans and give our players an opportunity to reflect on things. At the same time, I dont think it should be a church heavy event.

Maybe he will continue them in some other fashion? What do most other schools do instead?
Not sure how changing the fire sides to a more secular format benefits anyone. The fire sides are probably the best thing Bronco did for the program while he was here. They were extremely popular, standing room only to the three I have been to. They are run by the players. They are voluntary and both members and non members attend and talk if they choose to. It brings a more down to earth real people feeling to BYU and the coaches and athletes. I think it is one of the few forums out there that gives people a real glimpse into why BYU is a special place without coming across as "holier than thou". You couldn't attend the fireside and hate the ByU football program after, unless you were blinded by Uteness

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

I just don't like Sitake's reasoning for getting rid of them. "Imagine having to prepare a talk then focus on your opponent."

Really? Like I'm not focused on being great at my job, being an awesome dad, husband, neighbor, friend, and getting stuff done the week I have to give a talk in church? It's some huge distraction? I think there's a silly idea out there that you can't possibly be spiritual and play football, like they're somehow diametrically opposed. Like the armies of Helaman and Capt. Moroni didn't worship while they were at war, defending ferociously their lands and their freedom. This bugs me.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

I don't believe I've ever witnessed on a fan sports website so many people in basic agreement on a topic that actually was a bit controversial in the SL media. Hmm.

Screamineagle
Freshman

Post by Screamineagle »

Schmoe wrote:I just don't like Sitake's reasoning for getting rid of them. "Imagine having to prepare a talk then focus on your opponent."

Really? Like I'm not focused on being great at my job, being an awesome dad, husband, neighbor, friend, and getting stuff done the week I have to give a talk in church? It's some huge distraction? I think there's a silly idea out there that you can't possibly be spiritual and play football, like they're somehow diametrically opposed. Like the armies of Helaman and Capt. Moroni didn't worship while they were at war, defending ferociously their lands and their freedom. This bugs me.
Agreed and I have found the weeks I give talks or prepare lessons help me concentrate on spiritual things a little more things actually seem to go better.Doing away with the firesides will be a mistake.

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

It's not like these guys are giving deep doctrinal talks that require a lot of preparation, they are sharing experiences and how they have gotten through trials or overcome adversity. Maybe some guys throw a scripture, but it isn't anymore distracting than doing homework, reading a novel, playing video games, emailing friends, etc. I don't think Sitake had ever been to a BYU football fireside before and is just going off of what Ute Nation thinks about them. Tom Holmoe and the upperclassmen need to teach the Coach what this tradition is all about.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

BYULV wrote:It's not like these guys are giving deep doctrinal talks that require a lot of preparation, they are sharing experiences and how they have gotten through trials or overcome adversity. Maybe some guys throw a scripture, but it isn't anymore distracting than doing homework, reading a novel, playing video games, emailing friends, etc. I don't think Sitake had ever been to a BYU football fireside before and is just going off of what Ute Nation thinks about them. Tom Holmoe and the upperclassmen need to teach the Coach what this tradition is all about.
Problem is, I think Holmoe doesn't care if anything is left from the Mendenhall era. Only 2 people at the University have said anything about Bronco without being asked directly: Kalani and Ty. Both have been very complimentary. Outside of that, unless asked a direct question, no one has even acknowledged he was there.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Everyone doesn't do things the same way. I'll trust him with the leeway to do what he feels is most important.

Edit note: It let me up vote my own post to counteract the down vote someone gave me. :lol:
Last edited by Fido on Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.