Good Ol' Letdown Games

BYU Cougars on the court.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Good Ol' Letdown Games

Post by snoscythe »

Might want to start thinking about betting against this iteration of the roundball Cougars after notable wins:

2016:
Beat then #25 Gonzaga on the road, next game lose to Portland
Beat then #25 Saint Marys, next game lose to Pacific

2015:
Beat then #3 Gonzaga, next game squeak by Santa Clara by 2 points

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Good Ol' Letdown Games

Post by frdbtr »

this is the most bewildering BYU basketball team I have seen during the Dave Rose era. they just don't seem to be able to be consistent. It is driving me out of my mind and just about out of wanting to watch this team play. Maybe it is because there are so many young players but we are at home for crying out loud and the young guys should feel comfortable there but instead we lose to a team that has no right even being on the same floor as BYU let alone at home.

Wolverine
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Wolverine »

I have been using the DVR to record every game as of late and start watching about an hour after tip-off. If things are going south, I just fast forward until it either gets good, or the game is over. This has really made it much easier for me to watch this schizo of a team. I quit getting upset about their lack of consistency a long time ago. I hope the team wins every time that they play, but I am over being upset by games like today. I believe the team will be better next year, and will accept whatever plays out the rest of this year.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Wolverine wrote:I have been using the DVR to record every game as of late and start watching about an hour after tip-off. If things are going south, I just fast forward until it either gets good, or the game is over. This has really made it much easier for me to watch this schizo of a team. I quit getting upset about their lack of consistency a long time ago. I hope the team wins every time that they play, but I am over being upset by games like today. I believe the team will be better next year, and will accept whatever plays out the rest of this year.
I agree, they should be better next year but IMO they are going to have to start buying in to team ball. It just seems like too many guys try to do it by themselves when things don't go exactly as planned.

Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

frdbtr wrote: I agree, they should be better next year but IMO they are going to have to start buying in to team ball. It just seems like too many guys try to do it by themselves when things don't go exactly as planned.
This might have been the problem in previous games, but it didn't seem to be the main issue yesterday. KC would have had 20 assists if people would hit their shots when he got the ball to them. There were a lot of other passes that got fumbled away. The team seemed completely unfocused.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

I have never been more disinterested in a BYU basketball season then this year. Rose has got a lot of work to do over the off season.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Dropped passes, missed free throws when they counted, lethargic effort. What a game. Even the crowd had a hard time figuring out how to breath some life into the team. Emery really was off, and other than free throws Fisher was off too.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

I've got the player ratings for the Pacific game if anyone's interested...but it seems like a lot have tuned the season out.

So, now we just wait for next season? Who leads the team next season? Rose has A LOT of work to do over the off season. If we don't make the tournament next season then Rose HAS to be on the hot seat.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Next season, next season. The problem is we keep losing good players and replacing them with better players, but they're too young to be consistent, and they never seem to develop as they get older.

Oh and if you think it's OK that BYU can't win the bottom dwellers of the WCC until the team is made up of only 4 and 5 star players, that's a serious problem.

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

hawkwing wrote:Next season, next season. The problem is we keep losing good players and replacing them with better players, but they're too young to be consistent, and they never seem to develop as they get older.

Oh and if you think it's OK that BYU can't win the bottom dwellers of the WCC until the team is made up of only 4 and 5 star players, that's a serious problem.
I am getting older, and I'm not sure my memory functions like it once did, but it seems to me that BYU rarely lost games to the bottom half of the MWC when they were in the conference. I just don't recall "bad" losses to teams like Wyoming, Colorado State, Air Force, etc. I'm not saying BYU never lost to those teams, but BYU never seemed to lose to those teams when they were mediocre to bad. I am having a hard time understanding and figuring out a reason for losing 2-3 times a year to teams that are in the bottom half of the WCC. It makes no sense to me whatsoever. Maybe it is just as simple as the bottom feeder WCC teams don't know their role in this relationship just yet ;)