Trump a disaster for the Nation and Republicans

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Trump a disaster for the Nation and Republicans

Post by Ddawg »

Schmoe wrote:Hillary will do to our country what Angela Merkel has done to Germany: Invasion by "refugees," constant threat of terrorism, communities destroyed, sexual violence at an all time high, and ignoring the citizenry. Trump is a blowhard who may get us into another overseas war, but I'll take that every day of the week over becoming the next Sweden or Germany. REALLY still holding out hope for Cruz, though.
You assessment I concur with. My #1 choice is Ted Cruz. In the event that Trump is the nominee, I am hoping Trump would pick Cruz or Fiorina as his VP running mate.

Here's another important point about Trump - he likes to succeed - and he is driven by a huge ego. That ego and his drive to succeed will require he surround himself with capable advisors: foreign policy, military, and legal.

I really think Trump would listen and do what is best for America and the law abiding American citizen. I believe he will follow the Constitution, the rule of law, work with Congress (3 branches of govt), economically create a positive environment where jobs can grow and business thrive, hammer the lawless sanctuary cities, and establish trust with our allies, and secure our horrific southern border.

Hillary will do none of those things listed. She has stated she will continue Obama's policies. Time for a change.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

Ddawg wrote:Here's another important point about Trump - he likes to succeed - and he is driven by a huge ego. That ego and his drive to succeed will require he surround himself with capable advisors: foreign policy, military, and legal.
And it is that huge ego that will prevent him from surrounding himself with capable advisers. His huge ego won't allow him to be around those who can help him make smart policy decisions.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-gop- ... nts-221383
“And you’ll find that when you become very successful, the people that you will like best are the people that are less successful than you, because when you go to a table you can tell them all of these wonderful stories, and they’ll sit back and listen,” he said. “Does that make sense to you? OK? Always be around unsuccessful people because everybody will respect you. Do you understand that?”

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

SpiffCoug wrote:
Ddawg wrote:Here's another important point about Trump - he likes to succeed - and he is driven by a huge ego. That ego and his drive to succeed will require he surround himself with capable advisors: foreign policy, military, and legal.
And it is that huge ego that will prevent him from surrounding himself with capable advisers. His huge ego won't allow him to be around those who can help him make smart policy decisions.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-gop- ... nts-221383
“And you’ll find that when you become very successful, the people that you will like best are the people that are less successful than you, because when you go to a table you can tell them all of these wonderful stories, and they’ll sit back and listen,” he said. “Does that make sense to you? OK? Always be around unsuccessful people because everybody will respect you. Do you understand that?”
That's a funny quote. Taking it in context, Trump was saying, when you go to dinner parties - sitting at the table and surrounding yourself with unsuccessful people - so you can pontificate, bloviate, tell big stories and have the losers fawn and hang on every word. LOL! That's pretty good tongue in cheek.

Note - he did not say - "surround yourself with unsuccessful people and take their advice ..."

Being a sitting president is a whole different program than sitting at a dinner table. I think Trump would take that office serious and surround himself with the best military, political, and military advisors in the country. And unlike Obama, would listen to them. IMHO.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Ddawg wrote:Being a sitting president is a whole different program than sitting at a dinner table. I think Trump would take that office serious and surround himself with the best military, political, and military advisors in the country. And unlike Obama, would listen to them. IMHO.
And yet, look at whom is currently surrounding Trump. He's hired people to run his campaign who don't understand how the process works. Who don't understand how delegates are actually awarded and won. And given how many corrections his staff is having to make on his constant and contradictory comments show that he's not listening to them. Given how unprepared he is beyond his "make America great" slogan during debates show how unserious he is.

Choosing between Trump and Hillary would be a disastrous choice with no good option for the American people.

(8.4x
..................ATT
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

A question to those vehemently opposed to trump. (and I don't like him)

do you agree with the gop's tactics in colorado?

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Yes. Trump must be stopped. He has no chance of uniting the party and no chance of beating Hillary. But what has happened in CO is no different than what has happened in MI.

Cruz got shut out of delegates in MI. His ground game wasn't good enough there to secure delegates. Trump has no ground game in basically any state and that is why he lost delegates in Colorado. Trump's campaign is so disjointed that they are misspelling the names of delegates their supports should support. They are getting many small details just wrong.

He can't be bothered to learn the ins and outs of how this primary is being conducted.

(8.4x
..................ATT
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

SpiffCoug wrote:Yes. Trump must be stopped. He has no chance of uniting the party and no chance of beating Hillary. But what has happened in CO is no different than what has happened in MI.

Cruz got shut out of delegates in MI. His ground game wasn't good enough there to secure delegates. Trump has no ground game in basically any state and that is why he lost delegates in Colorado. Trump's campaign is so disjointed that they are misspelling the names of delegates their supports should support. They are getting many small details just wrong.

He can't be bothered to learn the ins and outs of how this primary is being conducted.
That's fine. But just remember what comes around goes around. If they do it now, they'll do the same thing at some point in the future when they don't like "your guy". Why go through the whole dog and pony primaries if delegates are all that really matter? the GOP leadership is what must be stopped. The biggest group of incompetent nitwits out there. It's flat out embarrassing that obama is still in office.

GOP, start listening to folks instead of telling everyone who they should vote for and you may actually win an election here or there.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

BroncoBot wrote:A question to those vehemently opposed to trump. (and I don't like him)

I totally disagree with what happened in CO. It has nothing to do with who I am supporting. (I am a Cruz supporter).

But, either we are a democracy where people get to vote and have it counted - or we are not a democracy and the party bosses scheme, manipulate, and select who they want. I may not agree with the candidate that is selected thru the democratic process. But, the integrity go the primary and general election is paramount - critical.
To jack with democracy is "Bad Mojo."

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Ddawg wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:A question to those vehemently opposed to trump. (and I don't like him)

I totally disagree with what happened in CO. It has nothing to do with who I am supporting. (I am a Cruz supporter).

But, either we are a democracy where people get to vote and have it counted - or we are not a democracy and the party bosses scheme, manipulate, and select who they want. I may not agree with the candidate that is selected thru the democratic process. But, the integrity go the primary and general election is paramount - critical.
To jack with democracy is "Bad Mojo."
We aren't a democracy.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Everyone was okay with pretty much the same thing in Colorado 4 years ago.

That time around Santorum won 40.3% of the vote on the caucus night poll with Romney collecting 35% and Ron Paul taking 12%. However, by the time the process completed, Romney took home 13 delegates, and Santorum only got 6---one more than Ron Paul's 5. In my caucus, Santorum took more than 50% in the preference poll, but not a single Santorum supporter wanted to be a delegate, so we sent 4 Romney supporters and 1 Paul supporter to the state convention. The process was explained ad nauseum, but none of the Santorum folks wanted to spend a Saturday in Denver.

http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/prima ... s/colorado

What's truly ironic is that in 2012 Trump mocked Santorum for not understanding the Delegate selection process.