Big 12 Expansion at 15%

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Big 12 Expansion at 15%

Post by Mars »

hawkwing wrote:
CentralCoastCoug wrote:I agree with Boid above on most of what he says, however, there are a few problems with that line of thinking.

1. Those other schools don't believe BYU is a better team than them. The mentality is not that BYU can save them, but they would be doing a favor to BYU by including them. Have you not heard the mighty "fans" from up north? They drink the same Kool-Aid as those from the lesser big 12 schools. I'm sure they don't consider themselves to be less than BYU.
2. Inviting BYU or anyone else isn't going to make the league more stable. They see the league being stable if UT and Oklahoma stay. If the remaining 8 go against texas and oklahoma and piss off the two that have all the power, they would essentially be pushing them out the door. The league would collapse if that happens whether or not BYU is in the league. When Texas decides they want another team is when we stand a chance of getting in. Until then, we shouldn't get too excited.
Great point, the Big 12 is not a P5 conference, Texas (and to a lesser extent OU) are a P5 conference.
Eh. What's the Pac12 without USC and UCLA?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Mars wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
CentralCoastCoug wrote:I agree with Boid above on most of what he says, however, there are a few problems with that line of thinking.

1. Those other schools don't believe BYU is a better team than them. The mentality is not that BYU can save them, but they would be doing a favor to BYU by including them. Have you not heard the mighty "fans" from up north? They drink the same Kool-Aid as those from the lesser big 12 schools. I'm sure they don't consider themselves to be less than BYU.
2. Inviting BYU or anyone else isn't going to make the league more stable. They see the league being stable if UT and Oklahoma stay. If the remaining 8 go against texas and oklahoma and piss off the two that have all the power, they would essentially be pushing them out the door. The league would collapse if that happens whether or not BYU is in the league. When Texas decides they want another team is when we stand a chance of getting in. Until then, we shouldn't get too excited.
Great point, the Big 12 is not a P5 conference, Texas (and to a lesser extent OU) are a P5 conference.
Eh. What's the Pac12 without USC and UCLA?
Better respected nationally than the Big 12? Though you have a good point, each conference has their marquee teams, but nationally I think Stanford, Oregon, Cal, AZ, are better respected than Baylor, Kansas, etc.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I like indy. I think we have increased the value of our brand the last few years. Getting on ESPN all of the time has been the cause of that. In negotiating the buy in, we should get a better deal than the 12th school because we are more valuable. And if we are invited, it will take a year or two before we officially join and thus will be even more valuable.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Well, the Big 12 has had OU, Baylor, and TCU in Playoff contention recently. The Pac12 has had Oregon and Stanford. Pretty similar.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Mars wrote:Well, the Big 12 has had OU, Baylor, and TCU in Playoff contention recently. The Pac12 has had Oregon and Stanford. Pretty similar.
C'mon---what's wrong with comparing Kansas (bottom of the Big XII) with Oregon (top of the Pac12). You're just no fun anymore...

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

snoscythe wrote:
Mars wrote:Well, the Big 12 has had OU, Baylor, and TCU in Playoff contention recently. The Pac12 has had Oregon and Stanford. Pretty similar.
C'mon---what's wrong with comparing Kansas (bottom of the Big XII) with Oregon (top of the Pac12). You're just no fun anymore...
haha, I was trying to think of other Big 12 schools besides Texas, OU, OkSt, and Baylor and I blanked on them, I could only think of teams that had left the Big 12.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

hawkwing wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
haha, I was trying to think of other Big 12 schools besides Texas, OU, OkSt, and Baylor and I blanked on them, I could only think of teams that had left the Big 12.
Too much time spent running, not enough time spent thinking about football.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Schmoe wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Too much time spent running, not enough time spent thinking about football.
Guilty! :~(

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

That would be interesting. Go to place like Washington and ask them to name the schools in the Big12. I bet they would name T A&M, Nebraska etc.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Just sayin'. WSU, OSU, Arizona, Colorado... no football powerhouses by any means.