Pillows and feathers?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Pillows and feathers?

Post by Cougarfan87 »

frdbtr wrote:
Gunk wrote:Let's not forget Bronco left BYU. BYU did not fire a winning coach. Our 9-win coach decided to pack his bags and leave. Were there disgruntled fans and boosters, yes (losing to your rival time and time again will do that), but Bronco's job was largely secured. He ran an above average, clean program.

I don't think we ever would have cracked an NY6 bowl with Anae as OC. And, unfortunately, Bronco and Anae are tied to the hip. In the end, it's probably good Bronco opted to take his talents to Virginia.

We're rolling the dice a bit with this staff, but the list is short and a risk or two will probably need to be made before BYU does anything on a national level.
You are right, I guess I am referring to the loud BYU fans who wanted him gone and the media who made sure to point out all his flaws no matter how ridiculous they are. And now I am pointing out all the fans who are having euphoria over a coaching staff who hasn't won a game yet.
Well, you're right that he hasn't won a game yet. But you do have to admit that Sitake, Detmer, etc. are way more personable. I just hope they are also good coaches that translate into wins on the field.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

Cougarfan87 wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
Gunk wrote:Let's not forget Bronco left BYU. BYU did not fire a winning coach. Our 9-win coach decided to pack his bags and leave. Were there disgruntled fans and boosters, yes (losing to your rival time and time again will do that), but Bronco's job was largely secured. He ran an above average, clean program.

I don't think we ever would have cracked an NY6 bowl with Anae as OC. And, unfortunately, Bronco and Anae are tied to the hip. In the end, it's probably good Bronco opted to take his talents to Virginia.

We're rolling the dice a bit with this staff, but the list is short and a risk or two will probably need to be made before BYU does anything on a national level.
You are right, I guess I am referring to the loud BYU fans who wanted him gone and the media who made sure to point out all his flaws no matter how ridiculous they are. And now I am pointing out all the fans who are having euphoria over a coaching staff who hasn't won a game yet.
Well, you're right that he hasn't won a game yet. But you do have to admit that Sitake, Detmer, etc. are way more personable. I just hope they are also good coaches that translate into wins on the field.
Sure, they're personable. Definitely more so than Bronco.

But so was Crowton.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

How many of the top 10 coaches in college football right now are personable? I honestly am not sure.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

CBS Sports list of top 10 college coaches going into 2016 season. Followed by my impression of if the coach is highly personable.

10. Jim Harbaugh, Michigan -- iffy, personable to players during recruiting, not known for being a fans coach, or being players best friends once enrolled.
09. David Shaw, Stanford - Haven't heard
08. Dabo Swinney, Clemson - No info
07. Les Miles, LSU - Not personable
06. Jimbo Fisher, Florida State - Seems Personable
05. Mark Dantonio, Michigan State - No info
04. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma - Not particularly personable?
03. Gary Patterson, TCU - Definitely not personable
02. Urban Meyer, Ohio State - Definitely not personable
01. Nick Saban, Alabama - The furthest thing from someone who is personable

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

If I remember Cahoon's first rodeo as a coach at BYU, for the first half of the season the receivers couldn't catch a cold--a corps-wide case of the yips. Second half of that season they turned it around and played extremely well.

If Cahoon can make the receivers do what they did after than initial bumpy period, he'll be a great receivers coach.

As for the "pillows and feathers" vs "fire and brimstone"--different folks have different methods of motivation based on their personality. One is not better than the other. A tempest in a teapot is all this thread seems to have been.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

I am a huge fan of the Detmer hire. I know it is all potential but when you have successful NFL coaches talking about how knowledgeable you are of the game, and how good you are at simplifying it to players, it gets me excited. I am not as excited about Sitake, I am happy with the way he has gotten the fan base excited for the most part. I hope his personality with the media and fans translates to wins on the field. Thus far in his career, I haven't seen anything to lead me to believe that it will.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

hawkwing wrote:CBS Sports list of top 10 college coaches going into 2016 season. Followed by my impression of if the coach is highly personable.

10. Jim Harbaugh, Michigan -- iffy, personable to players during recruiting, not known for being a fans coach, or being players best friends once enrolled.
Dabo Swinney is very personable. I would have included Les Miles as personable too, though, so it shows what I know.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Cougarfan87 wrote:
hawkwing wrote:CBS Sports list of top 10 college coaches going into 2016 season. Followed by my impression of if the coach is highly personable.

Dabo Swinney is very personable. I would have included Les Miles as personable too, though, so it shows what I know.
You're very likely right, especially since you're much closer to them than I am. In fact, I realized by looking at this list how little I care about how a coach treats fans and mainly just care about wins. That probably is a character flaw.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

hawkwing wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:

You're very likely right, especially since you're much closer to them than I am. In fact, I realized by looking at this list how little I care about how a coach treats fans and mainly just care about wins. That probably is a character flaw.
I don't think it is a character flaw at all. We are fans of a football team. We want to see them win. If someone is making that team win, that someone will get all the support in the world. If not, it doesn't matter how nice they are, we are going to say, "He was a nice guy, but he had to go."

Nick Saban is the perfect example. He is very prickly with the media, but I think he is pretty good with fans. But no one cares how prickly he is, or how he blows up on the sideline, because you can't argue with the results of his system.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

A few things...

1. Coaches. What if we had Detmer at the O, Mendenhall at the D, and Sitake as head coach. Whooaaaaaa.

2. Receivers. I think Ben Cahoon has it now, but I do remember the dropsies phase.

3. Closed door practice. I kind of like it. The ESPN announcers will be excited to call Detmer's new and unseen system. There's potential to throw Utah a big fat secret surprise in week 2. Would love to see a befuddled UT secondary down several TDs at the half with Taysom/Tanner slinging the ball all over. Can't wait to see Trey Dye on a speed run, and JSwagg and company breaking loose.

4. Other. When I got my season tickets in the mail this week I got the FEELS. We CAN make it to 10 wins. Bring it on AZ.