55% in Glendale, 15% in Pasadena, 5% in SLC.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

55% in Glendale, 15% in Pasadena, 5% in SLC.

Post by jvquarterback »

I know tickets were more expensive to the game but why doesn't BYU havea stonger presence @Utah? And tickets were no more expensive than for the LVB.

Are the Ute fans really that scary? If I lived in Utah I'd pay for tickets. I'd even buy season tickets and sell the rest if that's what it took. I might draw the line at a donation to the athletic department but I'd even consider that if that's what it took.

Give me some perspective here. ASU-UA, USC-UCLA, Stanford-Cal -- they all have a pretty decent contingent of away fans at the rivalry game. Why doesn't that happen for BYU-Utah?

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: 55% in Glendale, 15% in Pasadena, 5% in SLC.

Post by BroncoBot »

puzzling. makes me wonder if utah byu fans are just a little spoiled due to proximity and the game being in TV at the same time. I would have gone (5 hours away) if I could have made it work.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Utah actually had an agreement to allot so many tickets to BYU as part of the contract for the game. They decided however to only give BYU half of that allotment and sell the other half to Utah fans and pay the contracted penalty for doing so. It was a classless move by a classless organization.

HoosierCougar
Junior

Post by HoosierCougar »

Couple things, the group that bought our tickets spend way more than face value to get them... like 7X more. The price on the face isn't what the tix were going for.

Limited capacity. The announced attendance was 46K, and that's with SRO, which is probably 2K at least. Utah does a lot of things right at their game and brings 40K+ each week. The tickets are hard to come by if you aren't MUSS or season ticket holder.

I suspect if their stadium held 50K, you'd start seeing larger visiting crowds.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

hawkwing wrote:Utah actually had an agreement to allot so many tickets to BYU as part of the contract for the game. They decided however to only give BYU half of that allotment and sell the other half to Utah fans and pay the contracted penalty for doing so. It was a classless move by a classless organization.
Is there proof of this? I don't doubt that they would do something like this, but before I share this with others I would like some links or other evidence that it is true.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
billbillbillbill
BLUEshirt

Post by billbillbillbill »

I would assume the marching band took up a chunk of them.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

billbillbillbill wrote: I would assume the marching band took up a chunk of them.
That's pretty smart. I hope BYU follows suit. I think Utah fans will behave better if they are separated.

BYU fans could buy half the stadium in SLC if they wanted. I'm surprised that doesn't happen. It should be viewed as another home game for BYU just like ND@Purdue.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

In all honesty, I can't see myself ever going to a game there. I don't feel safe. Last time there we were threatened by a guy in his 30's-40's and I was with children and my mother--yeah--very threatening. What with so many individuals with gun permits in Utah, I don't want to be anywhere around there. I still go to BB games at Huntsman, and I have had no bad experiences there, but RES is a different story.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

How about we just stop playing Utah. If they can't treat us with respect, then let's drop them.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

To answer the original question:

55% in Glendale - 60k+ seat stadium, U of A doesn't travel well even in state, large Mormon population right up the road, memorial day weekend, 10 hour drive for most of the fan base max.

15% in Pasadena - 90k+ seat stadium (used to be over 100k), large Mormon population in So Cal, not a conference game or rival so fans more willing to sell their tickets.

5% in SLC - 45k seat stadium, rivalry game, apparent ticket issues.

Stadium size and care factor of home teams are the biggest factor.