Statistics to Start Tanner

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Statistics to Start Tanner

Post by Mars »

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BroncoBot
Retired

Re: Statistics to Start Tanner

Post by BroncoBot »

fool's errand.

trueblue72
Sophomore

Post by trueblue72 »

Boooo! Delete this thread, new offensive scheme is going to take time. Gotta have a few more games before that decision is made.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

trueblue72 wrote:Boooo! Delete this thread, new offensive scheme is going to take time. Gotta have a few more games before that decision is made.
This

a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by a1247 »

Wasn't it Lavell Edwards who once said the most popular player on the team is the back up QB. Now granted our back up is really good......

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

It's always convenient when the backup doesn't have any statistics in the current system to compare against....

CrimsonCoug
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CrimsonCoug »

FWIW I did some regression analysis in the offseason comparing T v T.
There was no statistical difference between the two in passing over their last 12 games (though Tanner has the numerical edge), but Taysom had more total yards and more total touchdowns. Even when controlling for quality of opponent.
I haven't put in Taysom's recent numbers from the last two games. I'll see if I have a chance to do that.
The numbers say the team is better with Taysom at the helm. The coaches agreed.
I think Taysom was a bit too self-confident and self-reliant. Everybody in the stadium knew he was going to keep it. But I think this loss will actually be good for him in his career development. Despite what the coaches are saying publicly (Ed Lamb, who I respect, said some jibberish about route runners selling out on their routes and allowing coverage guys to come up and make the play), I hope Ty and Tay have some 1-on-1 honest talk about what actually went wrong on that play. I hope Taysom can be humble and self-aware enough to see other options that he had in that situation. If he can do that, he'll really improve.
I'm predicting a big game for Taysom against UCLA. The D will give up more points than in the previous two games, but Taysom wil pilot a strong offensive outing. The UCLA defense is susceptible. Especially if Jamal is back, Taysom's going to find some redemption.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Well, we can't blame the offensive coordinator so the next best scape goat is Taysom. I think Taysom hill is the only reason we were in that game. The offensive line looked terrible and the receivers couldn't get off bump coverage. The utes took a page out of the Michigan defensive play book and our soft receivers fell right into it.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I was calling for Tanner to be named the starter. But he wasn't. Taysom was. I would not even consider making a move or even playing Tanner except in the case of an injury. Taysom would need to string together five or six straight games of poor play. And BYU would need to be out of those games with little chance of winning.

The soonest I would think about bringing Tanner in would be Michigan St or Mississippi St. Probably the Miss St game since it's at home.

You chose Taysom. You have to give him an opportunity to figure things out. Two games isn't enough time. Ride him.

If you go to Tanner now, you risk losing your team. Questioning what you do two games into the season leads to more questions later. This is what happened in 2010. BYU questioned what they were doing with the QBs two games in and it yielded disastrous results.

It should also be pointed out that it's a fact that BYU quarterbacks simply suck when they play Utah. I posted this over at Cougarboard:

Almost ALL QBs have stunk against Utah in their careers since Detmer. Here are the career PERs against Utah:
Taysom Hill: 77.73
Tanner Mangum: 92.96
Riley Nelson: 111.15
Jake Heaps: 110.77
Max Hall: 101.76
John Beck: 142.42
Matt Berry: 95.29
Jackson Brown: 44.71
Brandon Doman: 125.97
Kevin Feterik: 108.65
Steve Sarkisian: 96.60
John Walsh: 127.43
Ryan Hancock: 125.67
Ty Detmer: 193.59

The average PER of all BYU QBs in Utah games since Detmer left is 109.14. The average PER since Detmer left of all BYU QBs in non-Utah games is 138.77.

Let's not overreact to a bad showing by Taysom against Utah. Playing poorly against the Utes is the norm for a BYU quarterback now.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

SpiffCoug wrote:Let's not overreact to a bad showing by Taysom against Utah. Playing poorly against the Utes is the norm for a BYU quarterback now.
Of course, it being the norm doesn't mean it's acceptable. BYU really needs to fight this ever-growing thinking that we just don't play well against Utah. As if the trend, which I admit can't be denied, cannot be turned around.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director