offense is too slow...

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

offense is too slow...

Post by BroncoBot »

too slow and too deliberate. I think the offense should be in hurry up, or at least have some semblance of urgency from here on. I used to think it was prevent defense (and I'm sure that was part of it) against az, uu, and ucla. But after today's 4th quarter (even with the ints) I'm convinced BYU would be scoring more points if they would put defenses on their heels and speed up the game. BYU has been giving opposing defenses way too much time to get set. I know that detmer is using that time to figure out the defense and by using motion, but it has not been to BYU'S or Taysom's benefit. Taysom is an entirely different qb when the offense is moving down the field rapidly and I wonder if psychologically he is putting too much thought before the snap instead of simply playing the game.

thoughts?

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: offense is too slow...

Post by frdbtr »

Taysom does seem more comfortable in the hurry up. I would like to see them increase the tempo but not necessarily go no huddle.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

.... for Taysom to run. Tanner would do just fine.

There is nothing wrong with this offense, especially at BYU. This offense belongs at BYU. It is also an elite offense. You will see this offense all day long on Sundays, with the same mixture of play calls. We have the wrong quarterback running the right offense. If he is out of place then that is something that should be considered. It isn't like we have a true freshman on the bench. We have a freaking all American on the bench, whom this offense would suit perfectly. A move absolutely has to be made at quarterback. I don't know what else you need to see at this point. Everything on offense was great except for the quarterback today. Maybe a couple false starts... That's it.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Brayden Green wrote:.... for Taysom to run. Tanner would do just fine.

There is nothing wrong with this offense, especially at BYU. This offense belongs at BYU. It is also an elite offense. You will see this offense all day long on Sundays, with the same mixture of play calls. We have the wrong quarterback running the right offense. If he is out of place then that is something that should be considered. It isn't like we have a true freshman on the bench. We have a freaking all American on the bench, whom this offense would suit perfectly. A move absolutely has to be made at quarterback. I don't know what else you need to see at this point. Everything on offense was great except for the quarterback today. Maybe a couple false starts... That's it.
Call up Ty Detmer and let him know because he obviously doesn't see it the way you do. Or maybe we should fire the coach so that we can get someone who thinks the way we do.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

The offense scored 32 points today and lost. That is unacceptable defense. Like I said in another post, if the defense doesn't give up 88, 86 and 99 yard TD drives BYU wins.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

frdbtr wrote:The offense scored 32 points today and lost. That is unacceptable defense. Like I said in another post, if the defense doesn't give up 88, 86 and 99 yard TD drives BYU wins.
At first, I was loving the field position, but I was not loving the drives that WVU was putting together. BYU defense is NOT great at finding that safety valve. Most of the time there was great coverage and then BYU would get burned on a dink n dunk pass to the RB from the backfield, same thing happened too often in the UCLA game.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

BroncoBot wrote:
frdbtr wrote:The offense scored 32 points today and lost. That is unacceptable defense. Like I said in another post, if the defense doesn't give up 88, 86 and 99 yard TD drives BYU wins.
At first, I was loving the field position, but I was not loving the drives that WVU was putting together. BYU defense is NOT great at finding that safety valve. Most of the time there was great coverage and then BYU would get burned on a dink n dunk pass to the RB from the backfield, same thing happened too often in the UCLA game.
BYU's dline is not getting pressure on the QB's with just 4 so they are bringing linebackers which is leaving open spots for the RB's to run when they hit safety valve passes. It is a weakness and I'm sure that the WVU coaches were excited to exploit it. I still think this team can be very good offensively and defensively but they need to clean up the problems. Unfortunately, we don't have any MWC teams to pad the schedule with while the team learns how to win.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

frdbtr wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
BYU's dline is not getting pressure on the QB's with just 4 so they are bringing linebackers which is leaving open spots for the RB's to run when they hit safety valve passes. It is a weakness and I'm sure that the WVU coaches were excited to exploit it. I still think this team can be very good offensively and defensively but they need to clean up the problems. Unfortunately, we don't have any MWC teams to pad the schedule with while the team learns how to win.
If this defense puts any consistent pressure on QBs, I believe we are 4-0 right now. BYU has been getting burned by QBs having the better part of an afternoon to make a pass. Arizona was the only time that BYU got to the QB even somewhat consistently. Lack of pass rush is concerning.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

BroncoBot wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
If this defense puts any consistent pressure on QBs, I believe we are 4-0 right now. BYU has been getting burned by QBs having the better part of an afternoon to make a pass. Arizona was the only time that BYU got to the QB even somewhat consistently. Lack of pass rush is concerning.
I agree completely. Taysom hill is a convenient scapegoat right now but there are a bunch of problems that our new coaching staff is trying to iron out right now.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Brayden Green wrote:.... for Taysom to run. Tanner would do just fine.

If it's as cut and dry as you say; either Detmer doesn't agree, or he hasn't considered this. You choose. This argument puts the blame squarely on Detmer.