Smart gun laws

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Smart gun laws

Post by jvquarterback »

snoscythe wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:06 pm jvqb -- honest question: In a debate online, have you ever had the other person concede?

Because the way you go about "debate" is just absolutely terrible. You got to find a better way of delivering your message.
I've never seen anyone on either side of any debate, online or otherwise, concede. You have?

Most of these arguments are just for others who read them to see the merits of both sides (or lack thereof in this case). I'm not really doing this for Boise's or Mars' sake and I don't really expect them to present any data (because there isn't any) or to publicly and shamefully concede a point. That's just not the way people are programmed.

Others will see that you can't have smart gun laws without the data to back it up. And since no one has presented data about how gun control laws make schools safer - well you get the point.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

"There's not enough data" seems to be a poor excuse to do nothing. Data is good, but lack of data need not be crippling, as long as common sense exists.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

jvquarterback wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:44 pm
snoscythe wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:06 pm jvqb -- honest question: In a debate online, have you ever had the other person concede?

Because the way you go about "debate" is just absolutely terrible. You got to find a better way of delivering your message.
I've never seen anyone on either side of any debate, online or otherwise, concede. You have?

Most of these arguments are just for others who read them to see the merits of both sides (or lack thereof in this case). I'm not really doing this for Boise's or Mars' sake and I don't really expect them to present any data (because there isn't any) or to publicly and shamefully concede a point. That's just not the way people are programmed.

Others will see that you can't have smart gun laws without the data to back it up. And since no one has presented data about how gun control laws make schools safer - well you get the point.
Your view of people is disturbing. There is NO shame in conceding a point. That's what real men and women do when the facts or the evidence indicate this. I have conceded points all my life with newer information presented. I have seen others do the same too. I can tell you are a smart guy. You write pithy responses, most apparently designed to piss as many people off as possible by insult and denigration. It is not a real good way to advance discussions or improve discourse, but if that is what floats your boat, whatever. You are smart enough too, I can tell, to know that he or she who controls the question wins the debate. And so you create the question designed upfront to win your point--give me proof that gun control laws make schools safer, knowing full well there is no "proof." You "win" in your zero sum exercise of discussion by demanding the impossible. The response is several fold. First, how can we have "proof" of such gun laws when the laws we are discussing have NOT been enacted? Second, NO ONE is stating that gun control laws in and of themselves will make schools safer. It is not the issue. Yet. in your formulation it is the ONLY issue. It need not be and in real discourse elsewhere gun control laws are not the sine qua non of school safety. Will new gun control laws help? Might they be part of the puzzle of solving gun violence in our nation? Perhaps. There is evidence that some guns laws might help. Is it proof? By your demanding proof you have again defined the answer you want up front. No evidence is not proof. But there is evidence that more extensive, universal background checks reduce suicides. There is evidence that tighter gun sale restrictions reduce various forms of gun violence. The data is hard to come by because tight gun control restrictions in say Chicago can't really be measured when someone can go outside the city limits and buy the gun and return and cause mayhem. Third, by demanding "proof" as the only acceptable response, you exclude by definition notions of common sense. That seems unncessarily limiting.
FInally, to answer one of your earlier questions, yes I know what a straw man argument is. I deal with such virtually every single day.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

jvquarterback wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:44 pm

I have seen people concede, although more often they agree that there is more than one valid viewpoint and agree to disagree and end the debate.

Your method of presentation isn't going to win any unbiased third party readers. It's a total turn off.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

snoscythe wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:03 am I have seen people concede, although more often they agree that there is more than one valid viewpoint and agree to disagree and end the debate.

Your method of presentation isn't going to win any unbiased third party readers. It's a total turn off.
I will concede and yield the field to Snoscythe. I do not concede grudgingly. I do it without hesitation. He's smart, considerate, a better looking man, emotionally intelligent, a sense of history (important), has great personal hygiene, dresses snappy, has strong hands and humane heart. An unbeatable combo.
8) :whistle:

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

jvquarterback wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:44 pm I've never seen anyone on either side of any debate, online or otherwise, concede. You have?

I've conceded points on this very board many, many times. Here's a few of them:
http://www.cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.p ... de#p223715
SpiffCoug wrote: A one year dip when we first joined the WCC - even if I'm willing to concede that point - does mean we have had some "light recruiting the last couple of years" because we haven't.
http://www.cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.p ... de#p210490
SpiffCoug wrote: I concede the point about Texas or Oklahoma coming to town drawing more interest than just WVU.
http://www.cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.p ... de#p203672
SpiffCoug wrote:I can concede my question was poorly worded.
http://www.cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.p ... de#p130858
SpiffCoug wrote:I've got nothing after that picture. I concede.
http://www.cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.p ... ng#p232518
SpiffCoug wrote:Seriously though. I was #NeverTrump. I was completely wrong in what I thought would happen. I am very happy that Hillary lost. I didn't cost Trump the election, I just couldn't bring myself to vote for him.
Your turn. How many posts can you find where you said you were wrong, or concede?

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

Mars wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:39 am "There's not enough data" seems to be a poor excuse to do nothing. Data is good, but lack of data need not be crippling, as long as common sense exists.
Starting a thread about smart guns laws and failing to produce any data at all that these laws would do any good. That deserves every bit of derision any of us can muster.

As for your common sense (really just an appeal to emotion) - when it precludes anyone from defending their life, liberty, or property - well you can take your common sense and do whatever you please, just keep it away from the rest of us.

As far as people conceding points. If what spiffcoug counts as conceding points I've done plenty of that ("if I'm willing to concede the point" or conceding a point you never made - come on. Here's one - will you concede your post had no point to concede in the first place). I can't think of any substantial point where I've ever seen someone change their stance publicly. I'm sure that has to do at least in part with how I grew up with street debate, but there are well validated psychology studies that show people don't really ever concede. In fact, there are groups of psychologists that believe reason exists only so we can destroy our opponents, or at least to be wary of their arguments - like the "common sense" ones the charlatans try to sneak past us.
Last edited by jvquarterback on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

BoiseBYU wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:24 am how can we have "proof" of such gun laws when the laws we are discussing have NOT been enacted?
Who said I'm limiting you to the USA. Show me how gun control laws in Mexico (or anywhere else for that matter) have helped.
BoiseBYU wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:24 amBut there is evidence that more extensive, universal background checks reduce suicides. There is evidence that tighter gun sale restrictions reduce various forms of gun violence.
Can you cite those data please? And I don't care about gun violence. I care about all violence.
BoiseBYU wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:24 amThe data is hard to come by because tight gun control restrictions in say Chicago can't really be measured when someone can go outside the city limits and buy the gun and return and cause mayhem.
Who's begging the answer now. You'll explain increases in gun violence with gun control measures by saying you just need more gun control in other places. Explain then how gun violence in New Hampshire is less than anywhere in Europe despite gun ownership rates 3-10 x that in those countries or how there are fewer school shootings today than there were in the 1990s when "assault rifles" were illegal.
BoiseBYU wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:24 amThird, by demanding "proof" as the only acceptable response, you exclude by definition notions of common sense. That seems unncessarily limiting.
Common sense is a load of baloney, the last refuge of those whose arguments have all failed. Give me data on how many school shootings would be averted if the age to own a gun were raised to 21 or go home.

Sam Adams
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

I didn't start this thread to trot out all my cool proofs and arguments, but to ask others for theirs. My mind is very open on the subject, as it is on most subjects. I've changed my mind on many issues over the years. Anyone who hasn't is both ignorant and arrogant.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

So can you link to one of those times of you conceding points (even as I'm counting)? I mean, since you've done it plenty, it shouldn't take long to find one.

And did you notice the last point I quoted? I was completely wrong on Trump. I'm glad he won. I changed my mind on that.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!