LDS Church announces cutting all ties with the former Boy Scouts of America

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: LDS Church announces cutting all ties with the former Boy Scouts of America

Post by hawkwing »

I honestly can't see any negative drawback from announcing this far in advance.

1. If you have a calling as a scout leader, keep fulfilling and magnifying that calling until the time is up. You could get released at any time anyway, so the only difference is you know for sure you won't have that same calling into 2020.
2. If you're a boy or a parent who has some desire to get an Eagle, this gives you the chance to make the commitment to do it. That either means finishing the requirements while the church is involved or making plans to join a troop post church involvement. Either way, it gives you options. I don't see how the same doesn't apply to current cubs. If they want to pursue scouting.
3. The replacement program will be unveiled and rolled out, but it's likely an expanded Duty to God program.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

hawkwing wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:08 pmThe replacement program will be unveiled and rolled out, but it's likely an expanded Duty to God program.
While I am sure they will improve Duty to God, it's the one program that has been even less-effective than Hometeaching and Scouts. It will be changed and made more gender neutral and will be used in YM and YW after the phase out of Personal Progress, but it won't replace Scouting.

The template for the Youth program is found in what was implemented beginning this year for the Teachers and Priests. A huge de-emphasis on achievements, awards, etc, and instead an emphasis on youth-led activities to develop character and faith. I think they just bring the Deacons and YW into that framework and let them loose.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

snoscythe wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:22 pm
hawkwing wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:08 pmThe replacement program will be unveiled and rolled out, but it's likely an expanded Duty to God program.
While I am sure they will improve Duty to God, it's the one program that has been even less-effective than Hometeaching and Scouts. It will be changed and made more gender neutral and will be used in YM and YW after the phase out of Personal Progress, but it won't replace Scouting.

The template for the Youth program is found in what was implemented beginning this year for the Teachers and Priests. A huge de-emphasis on achievements, awards, etc, and instead an emphasis on youth-led activities to develop character and faith. I think they just bring the Deacons and YW into that framework and let them loose.
That’s exactly what I am hoping for...a deemphasis on public awards and public achievements and an emphasis on work and personal growth.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

My ward hadn't had an a very active Cub scout program in awhile, 1-2 years. They called me into Cub scouts and combined our program with another Ward's. I've spent the last half a year or so getting everyone involved again and caught up, and once things are finally starting to smooth out this announcement came. I'm taking it kinda hard honestly. Didn't help that I read the email while helping run our Pinewood Derby (already stressful). It feels like I worked myself to the bone for the past 6 months just to get crapped on. It's an emotional take, but I am frustrated about how things went down.
Last edited by Mars on Wed May 09, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

On a different note, this is what we just started working on in Cub Scouts:

-- Earn the Cub Scouts of America's Religious Knot Square by completing its 7 requirements, while following along with the Primary program's Faith in God requirements.

1- Give a family home evening lesson on Joseph Smith’s First Vision. (Religious Square Knot Requirement)
2- Give an opening and a closing prayer in family home evening or Primary. Share your feelings about how prayer protects us and helps us to stay close to Heavenly Father and the Savior. (Knot)
3- Tell a story from the Book of Mormon that teaches faith in Jesus Christ. Share your testimony of the Savior. (Knot)
4- Prepare a pedigree chart. Prepare a family group record for your family and share a family story. (Knot)
5- Write a letter to a teacher, your parents, or your grandparents telling them what you appreciate and respect about them. (Knot)
6- Read the twelfth article of faith. Discuss what it means to be a good citizen and how your actions can affect others. (Knot)
7- Write a poem, story, or short play that teaches a principle of the gospel or is about Heavenly Father’s creations. (Knot)

Additional Aaronic Priesthood goals:

8- In a family home evening, teach others about things we can do to remain faithful.
9- Read a recent conference address given by the prophet.
Decide what you can do to follow the prophet, and do it.
10- Read D&C 89. Discuss how Heavenly Father blesses us when we faithfully live the Word of Wisdom. Help plan and conduct and activity to teach the Word of Wisdom to others.
11- Learn to sing “Choose the Right” (Hymns, no. 239). Explain what agency is and what it means to be responsible for your choices. Discuss how making good choices has helped you develop greater faith.
12- Plan and complete a service project that helps a family member or neighbor.
13- Make a list of the qualities you like in a person. Choose one quality to develop in yourself. Discuss how showing respect and kindness strengthens you, your family, and others.
14- Plan, prepare, and serve a nutritious meal.
15-Entertain young children with songs or games you have learned or made yourself.
16- Learn about and practice good manners and courtesy.
17- Plan and hold a parent-child activity.
18- Learn how to budget and save money.
19- Learn to sing, play, or lead a song from the Children’s Songbook. Teach or share the song in a family home evening or at Primary.
20- Make an item from wood, metal, fabric, or other material or draw, paint, or sculpt a piece of art. Display your finished work for others to see.
21- Visit an art museum or attend a concert, play, or other cultural event. Share your experience with your family or activity day group.
22- List five things you can do to help around your home.
23- Plan and participate in a physical fitness program for yourself that may include learning to play a sport or game. Participate in the program for one month.
24- Learn about and practice good nutrition, good health, and good grooming, including modest dress.

https://www.lds.org/callings/primary/le ... g?lang=eng

https://www.lds.org/manual/faith-in-god ... s?lang=eng

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

Mars wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:55 pm My ward hadn't had an a very active Cub scout program in awhile, 1-2 years. They called me into Cub scouts and combined our program with another Ward's. I've spent the last half a year or so getting everyone involved again and caught up, and once things are finally starting to smooth out this announcement came. I'm taking it kinda hard honestly. Didn't help that I read the email while helping run our Pinewood Derby (already stressful). It feels like I worked myself to the bone for the past 6 months just to get crapped on. It's an emotional take, but I am frustrated about how things went down.
I wouldn't call it "getting crapped on" I call it having the right man in place to help these boys during this important transition phase. The Lord knew when you were called when the separation would occur, and chose you to be there. I say good for you for demonstrating that the Lord was right to place you there at this time.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Had a dad in our ward corner me last night about how his 11 year old son would never have the opportunity to earn his Eagle like his brothers and he wants his son to be able to put that on future applications and resumes.

I mentioned that the local council is already looking for interested parents and volunteers to start the process of chartering and supporting community troops. He told me that their family and his son did not have time for a community troop.

That kind of distilled the issue for me right there. Parent wants the award for their kid, but not everything else that should go along with Scouting.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

snoscythe wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:40 am Had a dad in our ward corner me last night about how his 11 year old son would never have the opportunity to earn his Eagle like his brothers and he wants his son to be able to put that on future applications and resumes.

I mentioned that the local council is already looking for interested parents and volunteers to start the process of chartering and supporting community troops. He told me that their family and his son did not have time for a community troop.

That kind of distilled the issue for me right there. Parent wants the award for their kid, but not everything else that should go along with Scouting.
1000x yes.
I've experienced this everywhere from Houston, Philadelphia, and now in Colorado. Parent apathy is killing not only the BSA experience, but is hurting the church/youth as well. Can't get the parents to get involved in a damn thing in my current ward.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

That's a shame because I was involved. If you support the program, you help when asked.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

When my son was younger he had a lot of school friends in MO that were doing Tiger Cubs and he wanted to do it too so he joined a non-LDS unit. It was really well run with volunteers who actually cared and wanted to be there. Almost 100% of parents were super involved. The only negatives were campouts were almost always Saturday night into Sunday and there was lots of fundraising (selling popcorn door-to-door that you only get 13% of the sales...).

The next year he started doing Wolves in our ward unit but he didn't like it so he went back to the other unit. Well, I then "conveniently" got called as the Cubmaster so my wife and I pretty much forced him to come to the ward unit because I wasn't about to be involved in two scouting units. I tried to bring some of that non-LDS unit's way of doing things to the ward unit, but everyone wanted to treat it as a babysitting drop off. After 3 years the parents finally started coming around and helping out more...

My other big beef with LDS scouting is that the boys "progress" from Wolf to Bear to Webelos to 11-Year Old Scouts based on their birthday. The non-lDS unit did it based off of school year. The problem with the LDS way is that you don't just have the same group of boys progressing together. With boys coming in and leaving all through the year simply because they had a birthday it was extremely challenging to plan which requirements to do when. Drove me nuts.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins