BYU Cougars on the court.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Gonzaga losing a transfer as well

Post by Fido »

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/s ... 18aaa.html

SPOKANE, Wash. – Jesse Wade will transfer from the Gonzaga men’s basketball program, head coach Mark Few announced Friday.

Wade appeared in 20 games during his freshman season. The 6-1 guard scored 26 points during 2017-18. He played a season-high 19 minutes versus Incarnate Word and scored a season-high nine points against Howard.
Wade joined the Bulldogs last season after completing his two-year LDS mission after graduating from Davis High School in Kaysville, Utah.

:whistle:

EM_Puma
Pro

Re: Gonzaga losing a transfer as well

Post by EM_Puma »

So they lost a RM and we lost and RM--we're even right? :whistle:

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

St. Mary's is getting a 7'3" transfer. Bastards.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Good for them. now are they upping their OOC schedule?

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt

Post by E-Zone15 »

I wonder if, he saw the that Dastrup had declared he was transferring and thought this might be the right time to try and transfer to BYU. Think about it, how many guards does BYU have on scholarship...
Jr- Jahshire Hardnett 6' 185
Jr- TJ Haws 6' 4" 170
Fr- Connor Harding 6' 6" 185
So- Rylan Bergersen 6' 6" 200
**Jr- Nick Emery 6' 2" 185 (still a ? with the NCAA)
You could maybe play Jr- Zac Seljaas 6' 7" 215 and Jr- Dalton Nixon 6' 7" 215 at the 3 also...

So there looks to be a need for guards that can play the #1 and #2, unless BYU is pinning the hopes on more walk-ons like Sr- McKay Cannon 6' 185. BYU does not have anyone (LOI) for the PG position right now... Hunter Erickson 6' 3" 180, Colby Leifson 6' 4" 190, and Cal transfer Trevin Knell 6' 5" 185 are all more #2 or #3 guards... Hunter would be the most likely out of the three, but all film I have watched on him he has not played the point.
With Jahshire, TJ, Nick are Jr and McKay a Sr, that means while Jesse red-shirted this year, the other 3 would all be a Sr in his So year.
If BYU does in fact now currently have a open scholarship right now with Dastrup leaving this seems like a very good win win for BYU, Wade, and Dastrup. Because BYU is going to be pretty loaded in the post this year, with Childs 6' 8" 225, Baxter 6' 9" 200, Nixon 6' 7" 215, Seljaas 6' 7" 215, Lee 6' 9" 260 (think, Brad Waldow type), Andrus 6' 11" 240, and Worthington 6' 10" 235. Andrus at 240, should be very interesting, because as a true freshman I think he was listed at 195 and at times he was overpowered by bigger, older, and stronger post players. But it was not for a lack of trying, he played with a lot of effort on both ends of the court: 21 games, 157 minutes (7.5), 40 points (1.9), 28 rebounds (1.3), 3 assists, 2 blocks, FG 54.5%, 3pt FG 37.5%, FT 72.2%.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

If he does come here, it would likely be without a release and thus a year without a scholarship.

Plus he doesn't appear to be as good as Dastrup, or many others who have transferred out.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
E-Zone15
BLUEshirt

Post by E-Zone15 »

Do you really think Mark Few would not give him a release to BYU? It's not like he was not a BYU fan and BYU recruited him. He likely would have signed with BYU, except for the whole Frank Jackson thing. BYU had a very early verbal from Frank, that lasted for over a year, then Jackson's recruiting blew up... Jackson entered the open market again, signed with Duke... I believe Wade gave a verbal to Gonzaga before Jackson reopened his recruiting. So he had gave Gonzaga a verbal even before BYU offered him a scholarship after Jackson became a huge question mark. Jesse held true to his verbal, even after his mission. Things have not went as planned for him at Gonzaga (post mission injury and ect...). Gonzaga just does not have the same experience with return missionaries as the Utah schools do and even with that experience post mission injuries often happen at the Utah schools also.
Few seems like a pretty good egg and I'm not sure he wants to go down that road of not granting a release to certain schools (conference schools and ect...), because Gonzaga does recruit Utah and LDS players now and then.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

We won't get him.

We prefer Weber State and D-II castoffs.

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt

Post by E-Zone15 »

FWIW, McKay Cannon gave up his scholarship at Weber St to walk-on at BYU. I've been following Jesse Wade at Gonzaga this past year and find it really odd, that in March he was very happy at Gonzaga. http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/m ... es-and/#/0
But a few days after (I believe 3 or 4) Payton Dastrup announced he was transferring Jesse Wade asks to be released so he can transfer.
About 100 family and friends attended the Gonzaga @BYU game: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/f ... -in-provo/
http://ibexnews24.com/2018/02/gonzagas- ... -byu-game/
Playing for BYU that could be a weekly thing for friends and family. Plus, sister will be playing for BYU soccer this Fall and he did serve in the same mission as TJ Haws.

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

I hope he comes to BYU. I think he has potential.