Anderson and/or Bevell. Any other real choices?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
cougarapologist
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Anderson and/or Bevell. Any other real choices?

Post by cougarapologist »

Honestly, I hope 6-6 doesn't save Sitake and his staff. They are really not very good. While Grimes is better than Detmer, he doesn't have what it takes at this level yet. Too many times he calls plays that do not give his offense a real shot.

So looking beyond, and not considering non-options like the guy at Snow College, other than Lance Anderson and Darrell Bevell, are there any other actual options out there? I like both of these guys (and a combo of the two even more), but just wondering.

El Guapo
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU is OK

Re: Anderson and/or Bevell. Any other real choices?

Post by El Guapo »

My opinion... Holmoe needs to go as well as Tuiaki, Sitake needs to be demoted, you promote Grimes to HC and bring back Doman as OC and make Sitake DC.

jadesroom
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by jadesroom »

Head coaching experience, you have three realistic options. None totally appealing:

1. Ken N.: Apologize, say we were wrong and offer to play it his way

2. Jay Miller: May accept the job; but in his heart, he'll be waiting for Whitt to step down

3. Paul Peterson: Wide open offense but only has JC HC experience.

If you can get Ken N. to run Paul's offense, I think we could win.

On the other hand, I'd love Anae's discipline with Paul's offense, but Anae has no HC experience.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Neither Bronco nor LaVell had any head coaching experience before BYU and both stepped in and had things progressing in short order. And that was with both of them taking on teams that were in much worse shape talentwise than Sitake took over.

KingCoug
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by KingCoug »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:29 am My opinion... Holmoe needs to go as well as Tuiaki, Sitake needs to be demoted, you promote Grimes to HC and bring back Doman as OC and make Sitake DC.
Yes, Holmoe needs to go but so does everyone else. Grimes, if I'm not mistaken, isn't LDS so he can't be HC.

BYU needs one of these three guys - Anderson, Bevell, or Niumatalolo - and allow them to pick their staff.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

jadesroom wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:00 am Anae has no HC experience.
Anae has no tact, either.

His inability to get along with others would cripple his effectiveness as a head coach. Honestly, I don't know that he would want a HC job, after seeing how Bronco--who he deems a kindred spirit--has to deal with people outside the fiefdom of the coordinator's offices.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

CrimsonCoug wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:07 am

His inability to get along with others would cripple his effectiveness as a head coach. Honestly, I don't know that he would want a HC job, after seeing how Bronco--who he deems a kindred spirit--has to deal with people outside the fiefdom of the coordinator's offices.
Same thing with Nick Saban.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by jvquarterback »

Best options are

Mike Leach and that's it.

Give him the money and let him run the program.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
El Guapo
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU is OK

Post by El Guapo »

KingCoug wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:47 am
El Guapo wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:29 am My opinion... Holmoe needs to go as well as Tuiaki, Sitake needs to be demoted, you promote Grimes to HC and bring back Doman as OC and make Sitake DC.
Yes, Holmoe needs to go but so does everyone else. Grimes, if I'm not mistaken, isn't LDS so he can't be HC.

BYU needs one of these three guys - Anderson, Bevell, or Niumatalolo - and allow them to pick their staff.
BYU needs to drop the LDS temple recommend holder coach requirement as it severely limits who they can bring in. And while the church is making a lot of changes anyway, may as well do that and relax the honor code as well so that players aren't held to standards that are difficult to abide by, especially those who arent LDS. And if players don't have to be LDS, why do the coaches?

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

hawkwing wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:43 am
CrimsonCoug wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:07 am

Same thing with Nick Saban.
I have tons of respect for you, Hawk, but did you really just compare Robert Anae to Nick Saban? :skeptic: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Saban has no love for the media, but he knows how to deal with them. And they put up with him because he wins.
An image conscious school like BYU would have the BOT and alumni cringing at every presser with Robert "What is the Purpose of your Question" Anae as HC. He's a next level media troll. I don't have any animus towards him, but he's as curmudgeonly as they come.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK