Possible to play your worst game of the season + win by 20?

BYU Cougars on the court.
craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Possible to play your worst game of the season + win by 20?

Post by craigoscarson »

Last nights game was ugly. Guys didn't shoot well, they didn't defend with much energy, and just generally didn't seem to care much.

I understand it was TCU and we got out to a big lead (thanks to Jacksons early hot shooting) but if we play like that saturday, we're going to get rolled.

I have faith that Vegas will wake em all up; a win there just about guarantees a back to back to back to back conference championship.

kiwibacon
All-American

Re: Possible to play your worst game of the season + win by 20?

Post by kiwibacon »

One of the few games I watched this year. They seemed like they were almost just scrimmaging or playing against a HS team. The attitude seemed to be that not much of an effort was not needed which lead to sloppy play.

BYUROCKS
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BYUROCKS »

remember they played late Saturday, and played this game, Tuesday. 1 day before they normally do, we will get an extra days of rest vs UNLV.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that. Heck they did what I did. I watched the plays and fast-forwarded the slow parts until the game was over. TCU is just not a roadblock worth our time. The boys will be all there in Vegas.

urroner
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by urroner »

mizzoucoug wrote:Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that. Heck they did what I did. I watched the plays and fast-forwarded the slow parts until the game was over. TCU is just not a roadblock worth our time. The boys will be all there in Vegas.
Though I wasn't able to watch the game, I heard tale that Jimmer was passing the ball when he would have normally taken a shot.

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I guess Rose is giving the team today off. That's a great benefit for the UNLV game. They definitely looked tired yesterday. The rest should do them well.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Dcr36
All-American

Post by Dcr36 »

2 thoughts:

1. If it seemed like they didn't care, then they were probably just feeding off the crowd's vibe. I've been to several games this season and this was definitely the worst crowd, even though I'm pretty sure I've seen smaller crowds at other games. The student section was enthusiastic but pretty quiet, and where I was sitting was a lot of non-cheering parents and their completely uninterested kids they had dragged along.

2. The shooting wasn't great, but (especially in the 2nd half) it seemed like they were passing up decent looks to pass the ball around and hopefully open up a perimeter shooter. I could be wrong here, and I'm certainly not that knowledgeable when it comes to college hoops, but it seemed like BYU was either a) trying to have fun with their shot selection or b) taking advantage of a weaker team as an opportunity to work on shots in preparation for UNLV. If I'm not mistaken, the 25 3-pointers we attempted was the highest number since the Arizona game. It was like we didn't even try to establish an inside or post presence until the game was mostly wrapped up.

Iceman
BLUEshirt

Post by Iceman »

kitic77 wrote:I guess Rose is giving the team today off. That's a great benefit for the UNLV game. They definitely looked tired yesterday. The rest should do them well.
Rose said the same thing. They looked tired. He guessed that the emotional game against Utah took a lot out of them. I don't worry at all that they won't be ready Saturday.

*Cough* *Cough* - Hmmm, looks like swine flu. Time to go see a ewet!
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Played their worst and still:

Handed TCU their second-worst loss of the season (lost by 26 at Houston)
Held TCU to their third-worst point total on the season
Scored the fourth-most points against TCU on the season.

I'll take that any night of the week, especially when there's a 'W' with it.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

craigoscarson wrote:Last nights game was ugly. Guys didn't shoot well, they didn't defend with much energy, and just generally didn't seem to care much.

I understand it was TCU and we got out to a big lead (thanks to Jacksons early hot shooting) but if we play like that saturday, we're going to get rolled.

I have faith that Vegas will wake em all up; a win there just about guarantees a back to back to back to back conference championship.
I am worried for out next game. Lets hope they got it out of their system.