Kalani Sitake ?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Kalani Sitake ?

Post by EM_Puma »

I cannot remember following a team where the coach was that emotional and showed it about their team like I saw Saturday with Kalani Sitake. It looked like a guy that was definitely at the edge of his seat and knew he would be in major hot pucky if he began this season 0-2. The guy spiked his headset when we scored the winning touchdown. You would have thought it was the national championship game.

I don't know where that puts him for his future. I like the guy a lot, but I don't know if he can take us where we need to go, but this win bought him some time as long as he makes a bowl game at the end of the season.

Fido
All Star

Re: Kalani Sitake ?

Post by Fido »

Getting a big win in a big stadium as an underdog should make him safe--especially overcoming the ESPN win predictor which had Tennessee set at 99.6% chance of winning the game before the Wilson to Simon pass.
This is assuming they don't lose games they should win late in the season. BYU has been the dog in both games so far and is again this week to a newly ranked USC team by 3 points even though BYU is the home team.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

IMO, this game really didn't buy him all that much time. Lose the next games (vs USC & Washington) and we're right back to where we were 24 hours ago.

Drop these next two and he falls to 10-11 at home all time and 5-10 in the last three seasons and 3-10 at home against FBS teams the last three years.

Lose these next two and he's still looking at a potential 1-7 start. Winning yesterday was exciting and fun and it's the type of games that make fans and cherished memories. But it didn't do anything to cool Kalani's seat.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
CougarCrazy
BLUEshirt

Post by CougarCrazy »

The game didn't change my mind. Fun game.

Seemed like a lucky escape and the game looked to me like it could have been a comfortable win. If I’m a Tennessee fan I’d feel like my team gave a win away more than they got beat.

A win is a win and if they can win lots of games close and ugly, great. If Tennessee has a better season than I expect it might impress me more too. Tennessee does not look like a good football team right now. Impressive fans and stadium, so that part of the win is impressive.

After the season I don’t think this win will hold the weight the Wisconsin win did. That Utah loss sucked. I still think Sitake plays to lose respectably against better teams.

It’s too bad Bronco is the defensive genius at Virginia. That staff probably has 1/2 the LDS coaching pool right now.

But I hope they win out and it’s not a topic of discussion later in the year. I’d love to be wrong on this opinion.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Remember, the only thing Tennessee has going for them this year is their history. They lost to GS last week and managed to give away a game that saw Matt bushman make the defensive play of the game and a backyard play that apparently had half the receivers confused and just running around when Simon caught that ball.

I love the win. It shouldn't have taken 2OTs, and it didn't change my mind. It only reinforced that this team is woefully unprepared and head scratching losses will continue to happen with this coaching staff.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

When the best offensive play of the season comes when the players don't get communication from the coaches.....you're succeeding in spite of, not because of, your coaches.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

Sitake has had some exciting, unexpected wins before. Again, doesn't change the big picture.

Let's see how we do over the next two games. Or against Boise State and Utah State, for that matter.

The win against Tennessee should do nothing to make his seat any cooler.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

The game is a chaotic and violent one, so the line of success and failure is sometimes blurred. The W against Tenn was a chaotic win. If BYU had lost, I would be thinking about how well we did going toe to toe with a very talented set of athletes at Tenn.

I have optimism in the coaches and I am hoping for a trending in the direction where BYU is always competitive and close against any team. I *think* this is the year for that kind of optimism.

I think we saw a 9+ win season possible in Knoxville.I think Jeremy Pruitt will likely be fired before the season is over, but who knows? The Vols are a talented team and with decent coaching should compete against anyone. I think we have better than decent coaching.

I think a 2-2 start is possible. This schedule is freakin brutal tho. USC will be in Provo for a win. And if that frosh QB starts getting hot, look out. Defensive line MUST get pressure, confusion, hurry-ups, and make it chaotic in the Trojan backfield.

TVRC wishlist:
1. A continuing to improve offense. We think we have this.
2. A better blitz on D. Let's send Chaz Ah You a special play.
3. 2+ turnovers. Dayan and Austin are looking good and will be containing the deep pass, and a few INTs to let LES go nuts would go a long way in controlling the ball and having momentum.

Loving the corner and linebacker play too, and I am thinking of a guarantee where getting one INT in the 1st quarter = Cougar win. If there is a special play there, I think we can shut down the USC offense and threaten toward a 3-1 start.

Early.
Big.
Play.

Goooooo Cougars!!!

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:05 pm The game is a chaotic and violent one, so the line of success and failure is sometimes blurred. The W against Tenn was a chaotic win. If BYU had lost, I would be thinking about how well we did going toe to toe with a very talented set of athletes at Tenn.

I have optimism in the coaches and I am hoping for a trending in the direction where BYU is always competitive and close against any team. I *think* this is the year for that kind of optimism.

I think we saw a 9+ win season possible in Knoxville.I think Jeremy Pruitt will likely be fired before the season is over, but who knows? The Vols are a talented team and with decent coaching should compete against anyone. I think we have better than decent coaching.

I think a 2-2 start is possible. This schedule is freakin brutal tho. USC will be in Provo for a win. And if that frosh QB starts getting hot, look out. Defensive line MUST get pressure, confusion, hurry-ups, and make it chaotic in the Trojan backfield.

TVRC wishlist:
1. A continuing to improve offense. We think we have this.
2. A better blitz on D. Let's send Chaz Ah You a special play.
3. 2+ turnovers. Dayan and Austin are looking good and will be containing the deep pass, and a few INTs to let LES go nuts would go a long way in controlling the ball and having momentum.

Loving the corner and linebacker play too, and I am thinking of a guarantee where getting one INT in the 1st quarter = Cougar win. If there is a special play there, I think we can shut down the USC offense and threaten toward a 3-1 start.

Early.
Big.
Play.

Goooooo Cougars!!!
Wow! love your optimism even if it is mis-placed. Tuiaki's defense NEVER puts pressure on QB's and makes them uncomfortable, so I don't anticipate that. BYU is going to get torched by any team that has a average to good QB which both Washington and USC have. Unfortunately, and I have hated doing this for the last 3 years, BYU is going to get hammered in the next 2 games by teams with good coaching.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Maybe a small deviation from the original topic, but what is considered Sitake's best win?
Has he beat a really great team?