BYU Cougars on the court.
vancouvercougar
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

UNLV vs New Mexico

Post by vancouvercougar »

Who do you cheer for in this game?

I am hoping for a Lobo win because we still play them at the MC. If we win out we would then be in sole possession of 1st place in the conference.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: UNLV vs New Mexico

Post by SpiffCoug »

A Lobo win is most beneficial to BYU as we can't control how many games the Rebels lose, but we can control the Lobos. Plus a Lobo will also keep moving them up in the rankings which will make our win over them that much better.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Go Lobos! :gross:

Lobos are killing the Rebels - 40 to 28.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Lobos beat UNLV at Vegas 76 to 66. Thanks, Lobos.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
FurriousCougar
Freshman

Post by FurriousCougar »

Did anyone else see the 4OT Utah vs. TCU womens game before this one? It lasted so long I missed the entire first half of the NM vs. UNLV game before they finally were able to show it. I have to admit, I normally find womens basketball rather boring (although sometimes it's funny enough to prove entertaining), but that game was crazy.

Question though, how come womens college basketball players are able to shoot free throws better than mens? I'm serious. Why? That confuses the heck out of me. I mean, the free throw line is in the same place...isn't it?

CannonCougar85
All-American

Post by CannonCougar85 »

FurriousCougar wrote:Did anyone else see the 4OT Utah vs. TCU womens game before this one? It lasted so long I missed the entire first half of the NM vs. UNLV game before they finally were able to show it. I have to admit, I normally find womens basketball rather boring (although sometimes it's funny enough to prove entertaining), but that game was crazy.

Question though, how come womens college basketball players are able to shoot free throws better than mens? I'm serious. Why? That confuses the heck out of me. I mean, the free throw line is in the same place...isn't it?
I got caught in the same situation of watching that womens game waiting for the mens game to start, right after the Jazz got smoked by the Lakers :sick:

That 3 to send it into the fourth OT was crazy, I can't believe it went in! But actually I had a different take on the free throws. See I'd always heard that women were better then men at free throws but to me the women tonight seemed worse then the men. Maybe it was because they were tired or something but Utah had a chance to win the game with free throws at the end of the first OT and missed. It's funny how you had the complete opposite take on it though. :)
Either way it sucked missing the entire first half of the mens game!

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Don't women use a smaller ball but the same size hoop? Easier to make shots, especially free throws, when there's a larger margin for error. I'm also reminded of a Futurama episode where they go to this planet of amazon women who are like ten feet tall. They say "We love to play basketball, we cannot dunk, but have good fundamentals..." funny stuff. Anyway, I suppose women could be shooting better free throws because they work more on shooting since they're generally shorter and farther from the basket.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
GolfDiveNCougs
Sophomore

Post by GolfDiveNCougs »

The result of this game, in my opinion, is further proof that BYU wears the pants in this league.

The T&M was sold out weeks in advance for the BYU game, and only got close to capacity thanks to a discount night last night.
The fans were whipped into a frenzy even before tipoff for the BYU game, and seemed, well, your typical swilling, disinterested Vegas "fans" for the Lobos game.
The UNLV team sold their proverbial soul (I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt here ;) ) for the game of their lives against the Cougars, and came out perfectly willing just to give the game away to UNM.

BYU absorbs EVERY conference opponent's BEST shot, and has still 3-peated as Conference Champ.

Most telling sign I'm right? Who are the UNLV players thinking about after a loss to UNM? Hmm, not UNM.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=300412439
"We couldn't match their intensity," Bellfield said. "We didn't have as good a start as we did against BYU."
It's actually kind of funny. In a post-game interview after a loss to a top 15 team, they're STILL talking about BYU.
:evil:

FurriousCougar
Freshman

Post by FurriousCougar »

CannonCougar85 wrote:
FurriousCougar wrote:Did anyone else see the 4OT Utah vs. TCU womens game before this one? It lasted so long I missed the entire first half of the NM vs. UNLV game before they finally were able to show it. I have to admit, I normally find womens basketball rather boring (although sometimes it's funny enough to prove entertaining), but that game was crazy.

I got caught in the same situation of watching that womens game waiting for the mens game to start, right after the Jazz got smoked by the Lakers :sick:

That 3 to send it into the fourth OT was crazy, I can't believe it went in! But actually I had a different take on the free throws. See I'd always heard that women were better then men at free throws but to me the women tonight seemed worse then the men. Maybe it was because they were tired or something but Utah had a chance to win the game with free throws at the end of the first OT and missed. It's funny how you had the complete opposite take on it though. :)
Either way it sucked missing the entire first half of the mens game!

Haha, yeah well I also didn't think the free throw shooting looked super great, but what brought the question to mind was that for every player that went up, the announcers were like, "and she is an 84% free throw shooter" or some other high percentage. Then I went online and looked at team stats and saw they were higher than mens. So that's what made me ask, not how good it looked last night.

Yeah though, that shot was INSANE! It got a lot of air time (and the rest of the game) on ESPN last night.

FurriousCougar
Freshman

Post by FurriousCougar »

Schmoe wrote:Don't women use a smaller ball but the same size hoop? Easier to make shots, especially free throws, when there's a larger margin for error. I'm also reminded of a Futurama episode where they go to this planet of amazon women who are like ten feet tall. They say "We love to play basketball, we cannot dunk, but have good fundamentals..." funny stuff. Anyway, I suppose women could be shooting better free throws because they work more on shooting since they're generally shorter and farther from the basket.
Oh yeah, good call, I totally forgot about the smaller ball. That makes sense. I believe it is one inch smaller, could be wrong though.

Lol at the Futurama quote.