BYU Cougars on the court.
FurriousCougar
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

AP Poll Out - Weak

Post by FurriousCougar »

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings? ... asonType=2

West Virginia loses TWO games, and drops THREE spots?!

Georgetown loses to RUTGERS, and drops THREE spots?!

Wisconsin loses at HOME, and drops THREE spots?!

Texas loses....AGAIN....and drops....ONE spot?! When they are clearly on a slide losing FIVE of their last SEVEN

Yet with all these losses, BYU only goes up one...I know we didn't do anything great, but we avoided doing something stupid like the rest of these teams.

Jeez, if BYU dropped 5 games in 7, I can't imagine what would happen to us. Or if we lost 2 games in a row, or to Rutgers, etc.

FurriousCougar
Freshman

Re: AP Poll Out - Weak

Post by FurriousCougar »

Oh, and how could I forget....

Michigan State loses its THIRD game...In a row...and drops ONE spot.

Oh wait, it's okay though, because they redeemed that and got back on track by beating 0-12 conference play Penn State...

Again, if WE lost three in a row, we would be dropped like a rock.

urroner
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by urroner »

It's getting close to seeding time. If we get too much higher, we just might get a fourth seed or maybe even a third and we can't have that, now, can we! :gross: :gross: :sulk:

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
kjjson
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by kjjson »

Coaches Poll: Ranked 14th, New Mexico at 15th

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ ... atpoll.htm

Our three losses this year, At New Mexico, At Utah State, At UNLV. All teams either ranked, or "Others Receiving Votes"

CannonCougar85
All-American

Post by CannonCougar85 »

Michigan State loses 3 in a row and only drops 1 spot!! That is a joke! I understand that 2 of those teams were ranked but only one was ranked higher then MSU!

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

I understand all the fury, those numbers don't really add up. BUT.... BYU can only blame itself. They knew they weren't going to get the benefit of the doubt (even when playing a tough team like UNLV @UNLV).

Unfortunately if someone outside the MWC footprint was going to follow a game, that was probably the one that would have sparked their interest the most. And what they witnessed was a beatdown that is going to leave an impression in the voters mind for a long time. I think that it will take winning the MWC season undefeated from here on out and winning the UNLV invitational for BYU to get into the top ten, and even that might not be enough. At this point voters minds are made up and there isn't going to be a lot of movement in the polls unless teams are REALLY on some major losing streaks (unless you aren't in a power conf. of course, then just one loss is going to really hurt).

This is why I was so frustrated with the way BYU came out against UNLV they just weren't playing like they were capable of playing. It was like their minds were on the strip somewhere. Instead of seizing the opportunity to make a major statement they let it slide out of their reach in the first 3 minutes. Now, I'm not saying that BYU should have won that game, UNLV deserves a lot of credit for the pressure and the hot shooting they poured on BYU from the start, but BYU sure didn't act like that game was very important. That's my only critique.

Again, not saying it's fair, but shouldn't we expect this (preferential treatment for the big names) by now?

GolfDiveNCougs
Sophomore

Post by GolfDiveNCougs »

I'm asking this in COMPLETE seriousness here. Who in the Big-10 organization has something on everyone of consequence in Collegiate Athletics??? Because for some unexplicable reason, that conference OWNS college sports, when from a W's and L's perspective, they flat out NEVER SHOULD. I don't get it. There are fully THREE 6-loss Big Ten teams in the Top 15, one in the Top 10. What??? There are five MAJOR (read BCS) conference teams with fewer losses behind them, to say nothing about the quality non-"major" teams such as ourselves with half as many losses. The preferential treatment they get with football (THE O(verrated)SU anyone???), coupled with this kind of unexplainable poll love in basketball makes me wonder if EVERYONE, from the coaches to the media, has some sort of compromizing photos of them, all of which have even more inexplicably ended up on the same Big 10 Brass desk...

THEY'RE JUST NOT THAT GOOD, THEY PROVE IT YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT, AND THEY STILL GET TREATED LIKE THEY'RE GOD'S GIFT TO SPORTS!!! WHY???

urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

GolfDiveNCougs wrote:THEY'RE JUST NOT THAT GOOD, THEY PROVE IT YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT, AND THEY STILL GET TREATED LIKE THEY'RE GOD'S GIFT TO SPORTS!!! WHY???
WAHHHHHH!!!! WAHHHHHHH!!!! WAHHHHHHHH!!!! Please don't get your shorts in a knot.

This is the way it is and you had better get use to it. Pres. Obama received the Nobel Peace Prize because he has the potential to do great things, not necessarily because he has done anything. It's not about what you have done, it's about what you MIGHT be able to do. :utard: :utard:

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

With all that said, I think our ranking is about right. I don't think we're a top 10 team, but I do think we're a top 14-17 team.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Exactly what I think as well Kitic.

If we played the top 20 teams RIGHT NOW I think we would win between 13-16 games.