1 week = Jimmers back officially

BYU Cougars on the court.
craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

1 week = Jimmers back officially

Post by craigoscarson »

For any of those peeps that are worried about the future of BYU hoops, it's in good hands.

May 8 is the day that Jimmer has to withdraw his name from the NBA draft.

Depending on the improvement of our young bigs, next years team could be the best in BYU history.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: 1 week = Jimmers back officially

Post by Ddawg »

This will be an awful week. All the waiting & nail biting. BYU sports has taken some hits lately. First Unga's loss, then Jimmer's possible departure, then Loyd's definite depature. What are they doing!!!! Just hope for the best - Jimmer tries the NBA water out & decides to return to the Cougar fold!! Another year of NCAA competition could only help him.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

Jimmer will be back. He is not an NBA 1st rounder next year. No worries at all.

Still think it was smart of him to put his name out there to get the benefit of the NBA scouts analysis. That will help him.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Lawboy wrote: Still think it was smart of him to put his name out there to get the benefit of the NBA scouts analysis. That will help him.
Not really. The NBA team scouts quit working out kids that they don't think are really entering the draft.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

BYU still has great potential next year, but losing Loyd was a huge blow. Granted, we did most of what we did in the regular season with little contribution from him, but it was Loyd who got us through some of our tougher games later in the season and in the post-season.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

Italics wrote:BYU still has great potential next year, but losing Loyd was a huge blow. Granted, we did most of what we did in the regular season with little contribution from him, but it was Loyd who got us through some of our tougher games later in the season and in the post-season.
Loyd leaving won't hurt a ton next season, but the season after that it will hurt tremendously.

I think many are going to be surprised by how well Kyle Collinsworth runs the team from the back up point. It's not like we have to have a scorer (though KC can score) from that position; we have others that can score and aside from Jimmer getting sick/tired, he doesnt' get in foul trouble.

The problem with MLJ leaving is next season we have no one that can play the point if KC goes on a mission; this likely means we cannot afford to redshirt ansor winder, because he'll need enough experience to run the team when the time comes.

The other possibilities are freshmen Ty Corbin, Brett Kingma or a JUCO recruit coming and running the point in '11; or KC postponing his mission to run the point.
Loyd would have been the man his senior year but the poor guy likes his pants on the ground....

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Italics wrote:BYU still has great potential next year, but losing Loyd was a huge blow.
Granted, I'm sad to see Loyd go, but there are certainly worse things than losing a non-starter.

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

Italics wrote:BYU still has great potential next year, but losing Loyd was a huge blow. Granted, we did most of what we did in the regular season with little contribution from him, but it was Loyd who got us through some of our tougher games later in the season and in the post-season.
I have to wonder how much of what we saw Lloyd do was what Tyler Haws did early in the season. Had several break-out games, defenders left him alone and he simply drained open shots. Then we saw defenses key in on him and watched his production sink for a few games while he and Rose tried to figure out how to break him out again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember Lloyd's break out games being at the end of the season which doesn't leave a lot of film for teams to game plan for him. Granted having speed and versatility like that while trying to guard all the other weapons on our team make for a tough plan anyways, but how much of it was a surprise? I wouldn't be terrible shocked to find Lloyd go somewhere else without half the talent around him at BYU and struggle when Defenses put two and three men on lloyds drive.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

CougarClaw wrote: I wouldn't be terrible shocked to find Lloyd go somewhere else without half the talent around him at BYU and struggle when Defenses put two and three men on lloyds drive.
I think Loyd left BYU because after 3 years, the fans still couldn't spell his name correctly.

Also, he had to get booted eventually for using the F-bomb on Facebook. That's against the honor code. :P

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

CougarClaw wrote:
I have to wonder how much of what we saw Lloyd do was what Tyler Haws did early in the season. Had several break-out games, defenders left him alone and he simply drained open shots. Then we saw defenses key in on him and watched his production sink for a few games while he and Rose tried to figure out how to break him out again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember Lloyd's break out games being at the end of the season which doesn't leave a lot of film for teams to game plan for him. Granted having speed and versatility like that while trying to guard all the other weapons on our team make for a tough plan anyways, but how much of it was a surprise? I wouldn't be terrible shocked to find Lloyd go somewhere else without half the talent around him at BYU and struggle when Defenses put two and three men on lloyds drive.

I think that is just silly. Loyd is one quick player off the dribble, and can stick a jumper on your face too. He didn't leave BYU because he was a bad player. He left because he did not want to live the HC. The kid can play. I think that is just your blue goggles talking for you. His loss hurts the team next year because we lose his experience, his ability to break down a defense. No mistake about that.